Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] This wretched heat

el punal

Best summer - first proper summer, even - since 2006.

After the grey rainy wash-outs, and 'Spring has gone straight into Autumn', summers of the last decade or so, I'm loving this.

As for it being too hot to sleep, simply buy a decent-sized fan for the bedroom - the gentle hum of the fan will also block out the sound of the local gulls (I was visiting Brighton last month - Jeez, those noisy ******s never stop screeching).

Temporary break-down due today and tomorrow, with temperatures back to normal, and a fresher feel, but then turning warm again for the rest of the month.

Let's enjoy it while it lasts - we'll be moaning about dark evenings, the bitter cold, and snow, in a few months' time.

“As for it being too hot to sleep, simply buy a decent sized fan for the bedroom - the gentle hum of the fan . . .”

Give it a couple of weeks and there will be plenty of these available in the West Upper, some decent sized and some definitely larger industrial sized - the hum, though, may not be so gentle. :wink:

D

Deleted member 22389

If this continues I shall be going for tiled floors, shutters and a sleep in the afternoons.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Now that was hot.Not like now.You can easily buy a fan nowadays anywhere to take the edge off.
Do you remember the ladybird plague:moo:

I do! Yes, remembering setting up ‘rescue’ of them in the sea with my net. Swarms of them in Brighton on the beach.

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
Some of you lot should have been around in 1976. We had a three month heatwave ( June/July/Aug ) Barely a drop of rain for three months. Hosepipe bans everywhere. Playing cricket was unbearable. You came off the field dripping wet with sweat. Dust bowls everywhere. Google England v W Indies, final Test at the Oval. The outfield has no grass on it.
The weather broke at the end of August/beginning of Sep. Then it rained, almost continually for a month!

Ah yes 1976. Playing cricket then was great however. Got some terrific turn off the baked earth fissures on "The Green"

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Work started on my extension on May 2 and not one day has been lost due to rain. Roof to be tiled this week. And (with reference to another thread) no praying was involved.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Some of you lot should have been around in 1976. We had a three month heatwave ( June/July/Aug ) Barely a drop of rain for three months. Hosepipe bans everywhere. Playing cricket was unbearable. You came off the field dripping wet with sweat. Dust bowls everywhere. Google England v W Indies, final Test at the Oval. The outfield has no grass on it.
The weather broke at the end of August/beginning of Sep. Then it rained, almost continually for a month!

I had a summer job, painting council houses in Lancing in 76. We had the plague of ladybirds, and on the radio, a young Ian Botham was making his name in the tests. One bloke working with me was, like me, a big fan of the 101ers, and knew the guitarist from art school where he had been dubbed 'Woody Mellor, on pick and shovel guitar'. I wonder whatever happened to Woody Mellor? Here is a photo:

woody.jpg

Here in Faversham it hasn't rained since early May. I have a bumper crop of plums but they are less than half their usual size, and are rather dry and tasteless. The asparagus, however (which I have been watering) have been insane. More than 250 from a bed only six feet long.

The commute to London has been OK, largely because I have been working from home for much of the time.....

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

Did your cricket opponents make you GROVEL ?

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I had a summer job, painting council houses in Lancing in 76. We had the plague of ladybirds, and on the radio, a young Ian Botham was making his name in the tests. One bloke working with me was, like me, a big fan of the 101ers, and knew the guitarist from art school where he had been dubbed 'Woody Mellor, on pick and shovel guitar'. I wonder whatever happened to Woody Mellor? Here is a photo:

View attachment 98712

Here in Faversham it hasn't rained since early May. I have a bumper crop of plums but they are less than half their usual size, and are rather dry and tasteless. The asparagus, however (which I have been watering) have been insane. More than 250 from a bed only six feet long.

The commute to London has been OK, largely because I have been working from home for much of the time.....

Botham made his debut in 1977.

#CricketNerd

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
It's hot tonight isn't it. Really stopping me from settling down. Is this weather due to break soon?

View attachment 98712

On the allotment we're not allowed to use hose pipes, only water from troughs, which keeps you fit.
But people who's houses border the allotment and have plots, are allowed to use hose pipes from their houses.
Madness!!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here