Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] This wretched heat

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Yes, it's summertime it's meant to be hot.

I will never complain over a summer like this.

Best summer - first proper summer, even - since 2006.

After the grey rainy wash-outs, and 'Spring has gone straight into Autumn', summers of the last decade or so, I'm loving this.

As for it being too hot to sleep, simply buy a decent-sized fan for the bedroom - the gentle hum of the fan will also block out the sound of the local gulls (I was visiting Brighton last month - Jeez, those noisy ******s never stop screeching).

Temporary break-down due today and tomorrow, with temperatures back to normal, and a fresher feel, but then turning warm again for the rest of the month.

Let's enjoy it while it lasts - we'll be moaning about dark evenings, the bitter cold, and snow, in a few months' time.

I love it.

We had a proper winter and now a proper summer. Love it and long may it continue.

This to all of these.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Botham made his debut in 1977.

#CricketNerd

I'm not a big fan, so it must have been a county match, with lots of comment about whether he should be in the England team. Definitely 'Botham fever on the radio' though.

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
I remember 1976 well and also I was 31. Now I'm 72 and really struggling with this heat. But preferable to the Beast.
Some of you lot should have been around in 1976. We had a three month heatwave ( June/July/Aug ) Barely a drop of rain for three months. Hosepipe bans everywhere. Playing cricket was unbearable. You came off the field dripping wet with sweat. Dust bowls everywhere. Google England v W Indies, final Test at the Oval. The outfield has no grass on it.
The weather broke at the end of August/beginning of Sep. Then it rained, almost continually for a month!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Botham made his debut in 1977.

#CricketNerd

1976 test cricket would've been the brilliant Windies convincingly beating a good England team.

(I didn't get into watching cricket until the following cool weather summer, where Botham, Gower and Boycott dispatched the post-Packer Aussies).

Perhaps Somerset in one day B&Hedges or Gillette match on the radio?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I remind myself of dull drizzly days in November when its a tad hot.....but would really like some serious rain, as the lack of it is starting to impact my work

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Just to clarify I'm only saying it's hard trying to sleep in the day during this heatwave. I've not put in a request for something to be done about it. I haven't started a petition for a government discussion on the matter. But as is proven time and again on NSC, some people just don't wish to entertain anyone else's experience or opinion on a subject. I'm off to bed, night all.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
The air conditioning at my work doesn't work, plus the building is made of metal, so we have been working is seriously high heats. so i hate this summer.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Just to clarify I'm only saying it's hard trying to sleep in the day during this heatwave. I've not put in a request for something to be done about it. I haven't started a petition for a government discussion on the matter. But as is proven time and again on NSC, some people just don't wish to entertain anyone else's experience or opinion on a subject. I'm off to bed, night all.

Change.PNG :lolol:

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'm not a big fan, so it must have been a county match, with lots of comment about whether he should be in the England team. Definitely 'Botham fever on the radio' though.

You're not too far wrong. Botham did play in two of the three one day internationals against the Windies that year. He got a bit of a panning with the ball. England lost all three (inevitably as the Windies were on fire).

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Which is why I recommended buying a tower fan with a timer. Thank you Thunder Bolt for a helpful suggestion.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I'm liking the heat this time around for some reason but usually I'm more of a cold, wet and windy kinda guy.

I've always rationalised it like this: when it's cold you can put more clothes on to keep warm but when it's hot you can only strip down as far as your birthday suit and if you're still hot that's just tough shit.

I need to regulate.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Some of you lot should have been around in 1976. We had a three month heatwave ( June/July/Aug ) Barely a drop of rain for three months. Hosepipe bans everywhere. Playing cricket was unbearable. You came off the field dripping wet with sweat. Dust bowls everywhere. Google England v W Indies, final Test at the Oval. The outfield has no grass on it.
The weather broke at the end of August/beginning of Sep. Then it rained, almost continually for a month!

"Is 2018 sunnier than 1976?

Although 2018 has yet to surpass the heat of 1976, the month of June was sunnier in comparison.

An average of 239.9 hours of sunshine were recorded last month compared to 205.5 hours in June 1976.

And June 2018 has also been drier with average rainfall measuring 35.4mm compared to 37.5mm in June 1976."

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
It's one thing being hot commuting, out and about etc, but the heat last night, even with windows open, was awful. Took me ages to get to sleep.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here