Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] This wretched heat

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I had a summer job, painting council houses in Lancing in 76. We had the plague of ladybirds, and on the radio, a young Ian Botham was making his name in the tests. One bloke working with me was, like me, a big fan of the 101ers, and knew the guitarist from art school where he had been dubbed 'Woody Mellor, on pick and shovel guitar'. I wonder whatever happened to Woody Mellor? Here is a photo:

View attachment 98712

Here in Faversham it hasn't rained since early May. I have a bumper crop of plums but they are less than half their usual size, and are rather dry and tasteless. The asparagus, however (which I have been watering) have been insane. More than 250 from a bed only six feet long.

The commute to London has been OK, largely because I have been working from home for much of the time.....

Blimey! I thought that was a young Joe Strummer

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Enjoying the summer but as usual someone has to complain when we get good weather

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
It makes me laugh People having a pop at others for not liking heat, its a bit like calling someone out if they dont like spicy food. Its personal preferance, it doesnt make anyone, more or less of a person.

Personally I love this weather I cannot stand horrible winter mornings getting up for work, this makes it bareable long may it last.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
anigif_enhanced-30297-1408994401-13.gif

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm in the "enough already" camp for sure.

18 degrees with a light breeze is where I'd set the weather year-round if I could. Warm enough to wear shorts and t-shirt all the time but not too hot.

It was school sports day today and most parents spent their time ducking from shaded area to shaded area whilst trying to watch their kids do their thing, most of whom soon got fed up of having to exert themselves in the ridiculous heat, and I don't blame them.

It stuffs up walking the dog too. I try to get him out early but even around 8 this morning I didn't want to be throwing toys for him, as he'd get too hot and I'll not be taking him out again until 9ish this evening when it's a lot cooler for him.

Fortunately the house isn't too bad, with a nice breeze blowing through, which is just as well as I'm inside for most of the day waiting for it to cool down a bit.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
I'm in the "enough already" camp for sure.

18 degrees with a light breeze is where I'd set the weather year-round if I could. Warm enough to wear shorts and t-shirt all the time but not too hot.

It was school sports day today and most parents spent their time ducking from shaded area to shaded area whilst trying to watch their kids do their thing, most of whom soon got fed up of having to exert themselves in the ridiculous heat, and I don't blame them.

It stuffs up walking the dog too. I try to get him out early but even around 8 this morning I didn't want to be throwing toys for him, as he'd get too hot and I'll not be taking him out again until 9ish this evening when it's a lot cooler for him.

Fortunately the house isn't too bad, with a nice breeze blowing through, which is just as well as I'm inside for most of the day waiting for it to cool down a bit.

You woose (sp) you and your dog ought to man up a bit, you'll be no good on a dark winters evening in Rochdale?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You woose (sp) you and your dog ought to man up a bit, you'll be no good on a dark winters evening in Rochdale?

Au contraire. You'll find us out in the pissing rain, the howling wind and, quite often, the pitch black on the Downs.

It's just not fair to take him out in the heat of the middle of the day right now. Even if I try to keep things low key, he's a Lab who has just turned one and only has one mode: really playful. He gets so hot it takes him ages to recover.

So, instead, he spends all day looking hopeful whenever I move, optimistically believing I might be about to take him out.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Au contraire. You'll find us out in the pissing rain, the howling wind and, quite often, the pitch black on the Downs.

It's just not fair to take him out in the heat of the middle of the day right now. Even if I try to keep things low key, he's a Lab who has just turned one and only has one mode: really playful. He gets so hot it takes him ages to recover.

So, instead, he spends all day looking hopeful whenever I move, optimistically believing I might be about to take him out.

Golden or Chocolate?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Vets are advising people to walk their dogs either early morning or into the evening, because of the heat.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I wish the weather would break here as well, it won't stop proxy raining !
I got laid off a week or so ago and started doing the handyman thing again.
I managed to get a couple of weeks work secured, but have to work outside on these jobs and so far have only managed to get out theirs 2 days over the last week, it's doing my head in, 'king raining all the time.
Never thought this would be a problem here !

Send it over here. I get paid to sit on my arse if it's raining.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here