Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The England team in the 2020 Euros

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Trippier, Maguire & Lingard have been 3 of our best players at the World Cup all of them will be a huge part of the squad

This. And hopefully our Lewis will have a place in the squad too.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I think 3-5-2 will have died out (again) before the next tournament because we'll have Sancho available and he'll be too good not to squeeze into the team. It's a good call about playing Sessegnon as a left wing back given how he's developed from left back to left winger - and that would have made sense as an option in this tournament, frankly.

Loftus-Cheek would hopefully have developed to be competing with Henderson, Dier and Alli for the starting place.

Phil Foden (not Fogden!) should be in the squad, but I'm not sure he's any better than Jack Wilshere was at his peak. Hopefully he'll be better at keeping himself fit and available.

Foden won the golden ball at the U17 World Cup for best player and has been described as the best player he's seen at that age by some bloke called Guardiola...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I think Southgate will conclude our formation doesn't allow us to create enough chances from open play, so I expect him to want to get at least one more "passer" in there - so I actually can see us reverting back to 4 at the back in something like the Man City or spurs formation - which would make sense given a large number of our players play for them. And the Sterling bashing should just stop - he was our best player in the first 45 mins on Weds (I was at the game and you see much better how he stretches defences) - yes he needs to work on his composure and ball striking but Pep will sort that out.

Pickford
Trippier Stones Maguire Sessegnon
Henderson
Alli Foden
Sterling. Kane Sancho

D

Deleted member 18477

Pickford
Tripper - Walker - Stones - Maguire - Joe Gomez
Lingard - Dier - Dele
Sterling - Kane

Pickford
Alexander Arnold - Walker - Stones - Joe Gomez
Sancho - Dier - Dele - Sessegnon
Rashford - Kane

Let’s see how wrong I am come these 2 tournaments, whenever you do these you’re at least 50% wrong as some unknowns suddenly become good and some players suddenly become average... I would have thought in 2006 that Walcott would be a main player come 2016/18

You just never know.. Rooney 2004 was like Mbappe in 2018... Mbappe could be like Welbeck come 2026... couple of bad injury’s, this is why the World Cup really is a here and now tournament for me and very hard to plan for the next one. How rubbish were Germany this time? It wasn’t all down to not picking Sané...

Last edited by a moderator:

D

Deleted member 18477

Foden won the golden ball at the U17 World Cup for best player and has been described as the best player he's seen at that age by some bloke called Guardiola...

Well Pep should be transitioning him into the team to replace the ageing David Silva then?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Cue massive over-hype and over-expectations, promptly followed a huge reality check as we get dumped out in the first round/group stage by the world power that is Liechtenstein.

Probably on penalties.

You heard it here first.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
2 years isnt going to see much change, especially when its done so well this time. it wouldnt be a surprise to see the same starting line up in the next tournement as this, other than injury or a significant rise of a player.

D

Deleted member 18477

Isn't that exactly what he's doing? Played enough games, albeit as sub, to get a premier league winners' medal last year at 17/18.

Yes it’s a question that should REALLY be answered this year... let’s see what happens. I cannot work out where Mahrez fits though? Sane, Mahrez, Sterling, Bernardo Silva presumably wingers? With David Silva, De Bruyne, Fernandinho, Gundogen, Delph, Foden battling for 3 midfield positions? Or will Mahrez play more centrally...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Pickford
Tripper - Walker - Stones - Maguire - Joe Gomez
Lingard - Dier - Dele
Sterling - Kane

Pickford
Alexander Arnold - Walker - Stones - Joe Gomez
Sancho - Dier - Dele - Sessegnon
Rashford - Kane

Let’s see how wrong I am come these 2 tournaments, whenever you do these you’re at least 50% wrong as some unknowns suddenly become good and some players suddenly become average... I would have thought in 2006 that Walcott would be a main player come 2016/18

You just never know.. Rooney 2004 was like Mbappe in 2018... Mbappe could be like Welbeck come 2026... couple of bad injury’s, this is why the World Cup really is a here and now tournament for me and very hard to plan for the next one. How rubbish were Germany this time? It wasn’t all down to not picking Sané...

Henderson is superior to Dier due to his mobility, stamina and drive (hence why Southgate always opted for JH). But I wouldn't have minded and would be pleased to see in the future, Henderson and Dier together shielding the back 4, with one given more licence to go forward at times. Giving one less out and out creative player, but we'd gain in stopping creative/superior midfields.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Pickford

Walker Stones Maguire

Tripper - Alexander Arnold - Henderson - Foden - Sessegnon

Dele

Kane

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Pickford
Stones Gomez Konsa

Trent Arnold Sessegnon

Lewis Cook

Foden. Sancho. Lookman

Kane/Brewster

2022 team for me

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Kane isn't a world class striker, Shearer was the last one England had IMO.

Sorry, you're saying that Harry Kane, who:

* just won the World Cup Golden Boot (by 2 clear goals),
* was 2nd highest scorer in the Premier League 2017/18,
* was top scorer in the Premier League 2016/17,
* was top scorer in the Premier League 2015/16, and
* was 2nd highest scorer in the Premier League 2014/15,

is not a world class striker...?

???

Last edited:

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Alli is not good enough in that system.

It’s a shame Ross Barkley didn’t go to a lower placed side.

I’ll have a guess with:

3-5-1-1

Pickford

Trippier

Walker
Stones
Maguire

Sessegnon

Henderson
Wilshere
Foden

Kane
Sterling

Bench

Sancho could get in if played different system. Hopefully can convince the Bayer Leverkusen fella if he’s eligible, southgate admitted to sending people to watch him so surely must be.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here