Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Religion - the Church of England - what future?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I dont really care what fictional characters think if i did id be naked levictus 19:19

Jesus and the Pharisees in Israel were not ficticious characters. They are documented in Roman history, and accepted as real life by classic scholars.

That is nothing to do with the church. Nobody is asking you to believe the religious claims, but history.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
St Peters church (the big one by the level in the heart of Brighton) is a fine example of how the CofE has a future.
Packed with young people and doing fantastic work in the city.

And its sister church St Cuthmans in Whitehawk.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I mean things like love thy neighbour, fidelity in marriage, forgiveness, unconditional love, and so on.

You don't need Christ for any of these. They are core Human values that existed long before Christ and will go on a lot longer than Christianity.

Quite right. The ten commandments were given to Moses 1446 years before Christ.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Fantastic argument.
Not an argument at all. It was all the response that a very stupid post deserved. My original post was a response to someone who listed the characteristics of Christianity as 'being sexist, homophobic and threatening people with hell' - which, as I pointed out was a somewhat selective view, on a par with the somewhat selective view that ISIS and the like have of Islam.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
My point exactly, I want Christmas / Easter - the celebration, giving of gifts, eating chocolate eggs, etc. etc. [the commercial aspect] but I don't believe in the history of where those traditional festivals originate.

If you don't believe in God / Jesus etc. is it not a tad hypocritical to celebrate Christmas and Easter? [was my point]

You mean the festivals that the Christian church stole from the "old religion"? Those festivals pre-date Christianity by millenia. It's why Easter moves each year because the festival follows the lunar cycle.

I have leanings towards the old religion myself. The basic tenet of traditional witchcraft is "Harm None". Something that the organised religions of today seem to overlook.

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Quite right. The ten commandments were given to Moses 1446 years before Christ.

So they are still part of religion...….. The Jewish religion and, through that, Christianity. Jesus was a Jew who wanted to change his own Faith, not be the catalyst to start a new one.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
So they are still part of religion...….. The Jewish religion and, through that, Christianity. Jesus was a Jew who wanted to change his own Faith, not be the catalyst to start a new one.

For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: ‘Love your neighbour as yourself.’

bhaseeer

Aug 29, 2017
What are they doing that the Church of England isn’t?

1) Arabic contains Islam within it. Grow up with Arabic = Islam.

2) In Islamic areas - Doctors, teachers, courts, and law etc are all a part of the societal Islamic culture.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
The sooner the better that ALL religions get kicked into touch they are completely irrelevant and continuously poison folk against each other and the sooner we can get back to disliking people because they’re rsoles and not because of their religion the better

couldn't agree more plenty of idiots around of all denominations but you would have to be blind to not aknowledge the spread of islam over the last 40 years ( a blink in global terms) they are well on top and all this "islam will conquer the world" bollox isn't enough to poke poor old honkey out of his burrow.........i'm moving to Argentina , great climate , interesting people , cheap food and drink .

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Not an argument at all. It was all the response that a very stupid post deserved. My original post was a response to someone who listed the characteristics of Christianity as 'being sexist, homophobic and threatening people with hell' - which, as I pointed out was a somewhat selective view, on a par with the somewhat selective view that ISIS and the like have of Islam.

It would also be very stupid to be selectively filter out those parts of Christianity to pretend they do not exist.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Jesus and the Pharisees in Israel were not ficticious characters. They are documented in Roman history, and accepted as real life by classic scholars.

That is nothing to do with the church. Nobody is asking you to believe the religious claims, but history.

So take out out the god bit youre saying a jewish man criticised some other jewish men?? And history showes that those people were real. Even thiugh the bible was written years after christ by people called mathew mark luke and john ( popular names in the middle east)still not sure what your point is. There is 0 evidence of god even if some of the people are historically accurate. People used to beleive in whitches and murder oyhers ffs fact in history but it doesnt make witches real

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patreon
Jan 19, 2010
If God was real, why doesn't he prevent bad things from happening?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
So take out out the god bit youre saying a jewish man criticised some other jewish men?? And history showes that those people were real. Even thiugh the bible was written years after christ by people called mathew mark luke and john ( popular names in the middle east)still not sure what your point is. There is 0 evidence of god even if some of the people are historically accurate. People used to beleive in whitches and murder oyhers ffs fact in history but it doesnt make witches real

It was written in Greek, which was widely spoken in the Middle East at the time, and has mentions in Roman history such as Pliny and Tacitus. The latter wrote about Nero in July 64AD when the 6 day fire in Rome started, Nero blamed Christians and had them persecuted. The description of Jesus was in that Annal.
Philo and Josephus were Jewish historians who wrote about Jesus and were not Christian.
There is a stone in the Israel museum which was dug up by archeologists which mentions Pontius Pilate as procurator of Israel.

Luke is the anglicised version Lukas, Matthew Matthias (Hebrew) John (Hebrew) Yohanen (J & Y are interchangeable in a lot of languages) Mark is easy because it is Marcus.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here