Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Religion - the Church of England - what future?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
the very purpose of religion is to present a whole story, a complete narrative to explain the world and instruct the followers in the rules through ritual and teachings. the Bible is the word of God etc. if we start picking bits out that arent agreeable, then the whole edifice starts to crumble: why not drop this part, that story, reinterpret that event. now its no more than a work of fiction like a fantasy or sci-fi series for people to argue over who has best interpretation. only religion has a lot more zealotry.
Yes, and picking out bits that do - or don't - your agenda is the problem, whether it's ISIS turning Islam into terrorism, or people who just pick out sexist, homophobic and burning in hell bits out of the Old Testament to deride all Christianity.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
How many times you been banned now?, Falmer, rosa, hybrid.
And how do you type "pastafarian colander" frantically?

Rosa was my Ex-girlfriend.

Nonetheless, well done to you and I for derailing this thread. I think we should both have a biscuit and a cupa tea and unwind to some nice ambient sounds on the old iPod before someone starts desperately digging up dirt from 7/8 years ag.........oh.

One last question: What's your take on the 'Mammon' stuff in relation to the Christian religion/message?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
One last question: What's your take on the 'Mammon' stuff in relation to the Christian religion/message?

The pursuit of wealth is not my master and neither is God as the Abrahamic God does not exist.
"you cannot serve god and mammon" is therefore completely irrelevant to me.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
The pursuit of wealth is not my master and neither is God as God does not exist.
"you cannot serve god and mammon" is therefore completely irrelevant to me.

So can you see this Jesus geezer wasn't just banging on about do's and don'ts?

There's stuff in the bible which kinda suggests that money/economics is the root of all evil. Obviously you can twist it in whatever form you want, but it is a bit harsh of you to suggest the lack of intelligence people must have to believe in this stuff when you consider current world issues.

Maybe he was a real 'freedom fighter'? Maybe his message wasn't what we're being made to believe in the modern day? Either way, ignorance isn't the answer. As they say, 'an open mind is a healthy mind.'

God bless you Pastafarian and I hope we can forgive each other. x

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
So can you see this Jesus geezer wasn't just banging on about do's and don'ts?

There's stuff in the bible which kinda suggests that money/economics is the root of all evil. Obviously you can twist it in whatever form you want, but it is a bit harsh of you to suggest the lack of intelligence people must have to believe in this stuff when you consider current world issues.

Maybe he was a real 'freedom fighter'? Maybe his message wasn't what we're being made to believe in the modern day? Either way, ignorance isn't the answer. As they say, 'an open mind is a healthy mind.'

God bless you Pastafarian and I hope we can forgive each other. x

Jesus the messiah didnt exist either, hope this helps.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I'm a cultural Christian. I like the architecture, art, music and history of the Christian religion. Evensong at St Mary De Haura or in the KIngs Chapel at Hampton Court Palace is one of the most beautiful experiences one can imagine. But I am not a believer in any way, shape or form.

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
St Peters church (the big one by the level in the heart of Brighton) is a fine example of how the CofE has a future.
Packed with young people and doing fantastic work in the city.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Quite honestly and to my shame, I'm sufficiently ignorant of his writings to give a unequivocal 'Yes'.

(I'll try and rectify this shortly.)

This hastily-researched quote though struck a real chord:

The Bible is very easy to understand. But we Christians are a bunch of scheming swindlers. We pretend to be unable to understand it because we know very well that the minute we understand, we are obliged to act accordingly.
― Provocations: Spiritual Writings of Kierkegaard

There's a big gap between my intellectual convictions and my preintellectual desire, knowledge and habits.

For example, I know what's healthy to eat and have been sufficiently informed by health advice over the years that regular exercise is good for my body and overall health, but I normally realise this halfway through yet another Big Mac and fries (upsize).

I can't just think or understand my way to a new heart.

I suspect you will find much to agree with - though, thankfully, not everything - it’s good for one’s views to be challenged by those with whom we largely concur.

Don’t be ashamed; nobody’s read everyone!

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Who made it all up then?

I would look at one of the parents for starting the crap about a special boy.Try and find out if the mother for example got knocked up with a bit of hows your father with someone she wasn’t supposed to and then in a panic claimed she was still a virgin when pregnant so it was impossible for her to be a cheating minx and it must have been gods knob or an angel or something.
If you find any crackers story like that you are on to finding out where the lies started. All the other rubbish just progresses from there so after decades of Chinese whispers some people can write the new testament because religious mumbo jumbo is the only way to effectively control people at the time.Fast forward to the Romans then Constantine and lie builds upon lie
Its what cults do.
Also see Islam and gods word being delivered to the prophet as he visited both mosques via flying donkey.
And you wonder why people think religion is daft.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Wait till the pirates get hold of his noodly appendage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What happens if they do get hold of it?.....More beer from the beer volcano?
Im not aware of anything in the scriptures saying pirates (peace be upon them) should seek out his noodly appendage in the first place.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
You are picking out bits of Christian dogma (all Old Testament, if I'm not mistaken) in the same way as ISIS pick the nasty bits they want out of Islam.

So I guess you are ignoring the nasty bits in the bible then?

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
So last night I went to a religious show at a church, due to a family connection.

It’s the first time I’ve been to a church or similar for some time and it made me think.

What do the religious leaders need to do to encourage people to believe again? The Church of England to me seems totally out of touch with the majority of the country. Most of the people present were over 60. The vicar seemed like a good chap who was well intentioned but I just don’t get it.

I think most of us could get on board with the good and bad thing, like Star Wars, but all the talk of God is to me just unintelligent. I can’t believe in one great God. Life happens and clearly for most logical thinkers the existence of God can’t be a thing.

Flip this over though and the Muslim faith appears to be growing in this country. What are they doing that the Church of England isn’t?

Is it already too late to encourage people back to church? Is that it for the C of E?

It comes down to one simple question--do you believe in God and His Son as your Lord and Saviour?--if not then it is time to look in a different direction for what you believe in. If you believe in nothing that is fine too.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here