Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Religion - the Church of England - what future?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Ah, another idiot who doesn’t get it to put on my ignore list.

Is the point that we don't need a religion to claim the moral high ground. We know what is right and wrong and I would suspect that before anyone thought of the commandments, societies knew what was right or wrong.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
So if you don't mind me asking what exactly is it that you believe? For example, do you believe that by praying these requests are answered or is it more down to the thought that there is some existence of some kind once you die?

No problem in you asking at all.
I do believe prayers are heard. I do believe in heaven.

For what it's worth I also believe in respecting other people's views - it is a shame so many people on this thread who do not believe in a god have to be so insulting/rude toward those that do.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

For what it's worth I also believe in respecting other people's views - it is a shame so many people on this thread who do not believe in a god have to be so insulting/rude toward those that do.

To be fair, the religious fraternity have been preaching to the rest of us for centuries trying to convert us and threatening us with eternal hell!!!

Stumpy Tim

I see posts ridiculing religion, but not individuals who believe in it. Considering religion talks about being the moral compass this world needs, it's not very good at allowing people to question it.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Eh, every religion has never slaughtered anyone. The people following, yes of course.

It's a human condition that is the problem. I hate to think what would have been left of this world if there hadn't been any religion.

Religion is the people who control the fabricated rubbish so it's very much religion.

Oh religious wars, hope you include the Gulf war for it was God that told Blair it was ok to murder

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
What I find unacceptable is the double standards set by some religious organisations. There is no doubt the Salvation Army do very good work with the homeless but it's their actions on a Sunday claiming those who drink will burn in the fires of hell but are more than happy to go around the pubs on Friday/ Saturday night rattling their collection tins.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

You're right in some respects. Some denominations do concentrate on aspects of teaching more strongly than others. The Salavation Army was formed because the church wasn't doing enough for the poor. In the late Victorian era, drink was causing massive problems, so they modelled their Christisn ethics on helping the poor whilst denouncing the demon drink.
The Bible doesn't ban drink, in fact, most people know about Jesus helping out at a wedding in Cana.
Denominations are formed of people who are human, and get it wrong. Their overall purpose is good, and makes a Hughes difference in people's lives. I could personally introduce you to three men who were criminals serving time for violence, robbery etc, but are now serving in Free churches as ministers, living decent lives.
We aren't perfect, but we are forgiven.
My own church in Brighton has a halfway house for the homeless, training them in new skills so they can be employed again. We are working with the police to try to free sex slaves who have been trafficked.
I also know people who go out on the streets at night as street pastors looking after those who get separated from their mates & need to get home safely.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
We've also combined with St Cuthmans (an offshoot from St Peters) in Whitehawk running a foodbank.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

Religions tell non-believers that they are sinners or going to hell for not believing so forgive us if we are a little rude back.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Morality is largely a learned behaviour that comes from zeitgeist.

It seems that religion has been replaced by consumerism. Owning or consuming things seems to be the new God.

Moral values of this age seem to be based around greed, narcissism, hedonism and other things that do not make for a healthy or happy society,.in my view.

I went to a Christian school, although not religious myself, but I think the Christian values we were taught as children, turned us into good and happy people. Love, forgiveness, hope, helping, and so on. I remember similar messages from my Christian grandparents, who were good and happy people.

I just think it's a shame. Society seems increasingly immoral and unhappy. I do think Christian values being replaced by Capitalist ones is at least partly responsible.

I agree with your sentiment 100% but allot of the money and power is the church! People like trump (just an example but im sure you get the gist) use religion as their conscience to allow and justify the commercial greed and narcissism

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Ok then, I do not need an out of date text to tell me what is right or wrong.

It would be good if people knew what the standard should be. As you seem to be coming across as a role model for the rest of us, how about trying to bring it up to date in a non religious way?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Have you honestly been told this recently? I think you may be stereotyping here... I have never been told I'm going to hell for not believing in God in my entire life, have I just been really fortunate?

Even if you have been told you're going to hell by a Christian recently, you haven't been by anyone in this thread, so people shouldn't be "a little rude" towards them because of their faith. A few religious zealots shouldn't compromise the integrity of all people with faith. I'm pretty sure Christians don't allow the many atheist zealots affect their view of all atheists.

The 1st commandment of the bible and the first pillar of the Qu'ran instruct people to not follow any other god. Arrogant much?

Yes, I have also been told about going to hell for not being a believer.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
It would be good if people knew what the standard should be. As you seem to be coming across as a role model for the rest of us, how about trying to bring it up to date in a non religious way?

No one should need a guide to not steal, knob someone else's wife or kill. That is the point.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I don't think making your own personal interpretation of these books, which have many interpretations already, is particularly useful, especially if your conclusion is that it is okay to be rude towards people that believe in them.

I have only ever had positive experiences with Christianity, despite not being a Christian. I wholeheartedly believe that as a faith, most Christian denominations encourage positive traits in people and genuinely drive to do some good in society.

Nobody likes a zealot, religious, atheist or otherwise. I really don't think Christians are like that though - it is not an aggressive religion like certain others (perhaps that's why it is dying out). Of course you will get some Christian denominations and individuals who are abhorrent (See "God hates fags") - but generally speaking, Christians are good people, and some credit should go to their faith for that.

How is that my own interpretation? Having attended religious schooling for primary and secondary school then I would love to say I have only had positive experiences but some of the guilt trips that are put upon you are awful. Also you say Christians are good people, can you really say over 2 billion people are all good? Can I claim all atheists are good people too?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I agree with your sentiment 100% but allot of the money and power is the church! People like trump (just an example but im sure you get the gist) use religion as their conscience to allow and justify the commercial greed and narcissism

The Pharisees did exactly the same thing. You should read what Jesus called them.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
oh, ive missed out a nice Sunday debate on religion. reading through i think the bingo card is full, and without any meltdowns or flouncing.

despite being atheist i quite like the CofE, like old aunt for the country, helping people out, giving a bit of moral guidance with a low piety. in a world where science and education means people dont believe in the gods anymore as they have answers to the world elsewhere. their remaining purpose is to help people, but here the state and a million other charities have taken over.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Religion is the people who control the fabricated rubbish so it's very much religion.

Oh religious wars, hope you include the Gulf war for it was God that told Blair it was ok to murder

Just to clarify, Blair made no claims that a god told him to go to war. That was ITV being disingenuous with regard to an interview they had with him.

I agree with your first sentence though. I would add that faith is what people believe but religion are the rules decided by certain people how you should demonstrate that faith.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here