Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Giving the development squad players a chance...

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I wanted to gauge opinion via nsc regarding our current set of promising younger players and whether we should be giving some a real chance this coming season? As it would appear we're engaged in chasing yet more imports for relatively vast sums - which I'm a little weary and increasingly wary of.

Obviously people will argue they're not ready, need a season out on loan to prove their quality etc. but I would love to see a couple or three of them in the 25 and on the bench (actually actively) involved this year. I look elsewhere in the PL and see academy players involved and making a name for themselves, some now with England. Are we still too early in our new setup to have bought on genuine talent? or are our senior management team reticent when it comes to giving our youngsters a real shot at the league?

Personally, I'm a firm believer that some young talent which dissolves into a career of relative obscurity might well have written a differing footballing epitaph if they're top level manager had, had the balls to give them a chance. All it takes is a couple of goals here, a clean sheet there and career trajectory can be ultimately determined. Solly (perhaps most recently) has shown how an opportunity can be grabbed, I just hope the PL allows our management team to give another that same chance.

I appreciate the huge leap of faith and gamble surrounding this policy, but I look at some of our recent recruitment and ask myself: can one of our talented development players be worse (technically) than the greyhound? Right now I look at our purported target's: Tau and this Mali player - I just can't help thinking that the £20m seemingly required therein represents a FAR greater gamble.

Thoughts?

Peace be the journey.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Sadly in the PL money talks so chances for youngsters are few and far between. That's why most drop-down a league or to to try and prove themselves

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How many are deemed to be Championship standard?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Sadly in the PL money talks so chances for youngsters are few and far between. That's why most drop-down a league or to to try and prove themselves

True, and quite sad really. I certainly don't advocate a ludicrous policy of drafting in 5 or 6 untested young players, but surely we have the talent and capacity for two or three to get a few mins here and there... surely?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I’d hope that our U23s playing in the checkatrade trophy would provide an opportunity for players to prove themselves. “Destroy your L1 opposition player two or three times on the trot, and you’ll have proven yourself ready for consideration for a PL first team squad” type of thing.

The fact that I’m not aware of any such true wunderkid having done so last season might be the reason why we’re not currently seeing anyone come through?

Purely speculation, you understand...

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
True, and quite sad really. I certainly don't advocate a ludicrous policy of drafting in 5 or 6 untested young players, but surely we have the talent and capacity for two or three to get a few mins here and there... surely?

I think that takes a bold manager. In CH we have a safety 1st approach. Most would go out on loan aka Walton and White to test their levels of ability

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
How many are deemed to be Championship standard?

I'm unsure in actuality if the greyhound is even that good over 46 games.... as for the youth, we don't know do we? Hence your rhetorical question... It's all about the right manager, club, circumstances and even lady luck - I still believe in the power of positive thought and how (literally) a few seconds on a football pitch can change a career forever. For good and bad naturally, but why not take the risk on a Tilley, Bjordal et al? Or shall we continue the similar hit and miss policy of oft' expensive imports who might cut it and equally (as with the youth players) might not.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I think that takes a bold manager. In CH we have a safety 1st approach. Most would go out on loan aka Walton and White to test their levels of ability

Does it. Let's say we're 2-0 up and cruising at home - is it a bold move to bring on Bjordal for the last 15? Or is it an intelligent policy of building confidence etc. Yes we could end up losing 3-2, but it's unlikely. Fully agree re starting a development player at this level, but well timed action here and there could be worth more than 46 games struggling to survive in the Championship at Wigan for example.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I’d hope that our U23s playing in the checkatrade trophy would provide an opportunity for players to prove themselves. “Destroy your L1 opposition player two or three times on the trot, and you’ll have proven yourself ready for consideration for a PL first team squad” type of thing.

The fact that I’m not aware of any such true wunderkid having done so last season might be the reason why we’re not currently seeing anyone come through?

Purely speculation, you understand...

Sure I get it. Motivation in that competition could be a large factor however, and I'm advocating coming off the bench in the right circumstances surrounded by proven PL players - I'd be well up for that. A rainy night away at Crewe hmmmmmm it's an interesting one for sure.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
March was mentioned, think he’s proved he’s not PL standard.

Love to be proved wrong but being half decent 1 game in 10 doesn’t cut the mustard

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo

Actually; this supports some of that which I'm getting at... I suspect we all wanted Bjordal to come good, and he certainly delivered for Simon Rusk. Yet, he never even got close to the senior squad, possibly he trained with them and wasn't up to it... but if not, then that chance surely should have been given to him. I realise there's way more to any of this than we get to know about, but I would love to see a younger player given an actual genuine opportunity.

Oh well...

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
The club watch them day in and day out in training. If they don’t think they are good enough then so be it. I too would like to see someone like Gyorkes for a few appearances but it’s difficult to see it happen when we have 4 other senior strikers we are a paying a decent amount of wages for.

It’s even more difficult to imagine it in a defensive position. Too much at stake even at 2-0 up.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

More and more seem to be willing to try their luck abroad, the Bundesliga seems to be keen to play them even if the Premier league won't.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think to was quoted from recruitment any player graduating to the senior squad spends 6 months on a "trust" training regime where they have to prove they can do the job required for the position.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Does it. Let's say we're 2-0 up and cruising at home - is it a bold move to bring on Bjordal for the last 15? Or is it an intelligent policy of building confidence etc. Yes we could end up losing 3-2, but it's unlikely. Fully agree re starting a development player at this level, but well timed action here and there could be worth more than 46 games struggling to survive in the Championship at Wigan for example.

Not so sure 2/0 is cruising in the PL....also might he not look to give game time to 'senior' players who might not have had much

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
The club watch them day in and day out in training. If they don’t think they are good enough then so be it. I too would like to see someone like Gyorkes for a few appearances but it’s difficult to see it happen when we have 4 other senior strikers we are a paying a decent amount of wages for.

It’s even more difficult to imagine it in a defensive position. Too much at stake even at 2-0 up.

Again I fully understand re key defensive positions. It's far more likely to happen with our more attacking younger players, unless a real genuinely class defender crops up... Appreciate the positivity re Gyorkes who seems to be making rapid progress.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Not so sure 2/0 is cruising in the PL....also might he not look to give game time to 'senior' players who might not have had much

I'd say 2-0 at home is as cruising as it gets at this level! ;)

Obvioulsy 2-0 against one of the big boys, yep r i s k y... however; 2-0 up against a Cardiff, then I'd like to think a young player could be given the nod.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here