Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Giving the development squad players a chance...

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

Thanks. A good read.

I feel the move abroad, for younger players, is now less daunting than in the past because of the advances in technology. Modern footballers spend thier downtime online, playing fortnite, chatting on Skype or posting social media updates. So does it matter where in the world they are?

The world is getting smaller and ultimately these guys want to be playing. When you think they are already moving away from their families at 11, it should come as no surprise that they are then willing to take the plunge and move overseas by the time they are 17. It also helps that these kids now get paid well enough to make a dream home in even the most alien location.

I can't see this trend being anything other than a positive thing for the future of English football.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
As the HGP is just there to make up the numbers - allowed to name maximum squad instead of getting more first team football elsewhere

You're not making any sense! If the HGP is there just to make up the numbers (and I agree that is sometimes the case) it still doesn't in any way prevent the club from playing any number of U21s.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Well there is value in producing players beyond only those who will play for the first team.

For example, if the figure of £3m annually is correct, as stated by Big Gully, then that is about the value of one mid-range Championship player these days. If Button is worth £4m, how much will Walton be worth if he proves himself capable this year at Wigan? We would have an asset worth at least £4m I would imagine.

In order to make a profit then, the academy needs to be producing around one Championship level player every season (or several League One players for example). Given that our development strategy tends to be loaning players out at incrementally higher levels, to prove that our kids are Championship level would take several seasons. However we have a number of players who could potentially reach that level. So it becomes almost a numbers gamble if you are looking financially. And then you have longer term incomes from sell-on clauses and the like, which I imagine we are putting into every contract of academy kids sold on (why would we not?). Chelsea have been playing and winning this game for years, bringing in substantial income from academy player sales who were never tried at first team level.

It is also a success to produce players who are capable in the lower leagues. Ultimately we would like to produce first team players, but at PL level it isn't so easy. That is the nature of the beast unfortunately

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Zero chance to a small chance...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I'd add George Cox and Daniel Mandroiu to the potential list.

He can certainly strike a ball.....

[TWEET]1139636076493058053[/TWEET]

Yesterday Danny Mandroiu was selected as the SSE Airtricity/Soccer Writers' Association of Ireland Player of the Month for June.

Here is an interview with him where he discusses his time at Brighton, amongst other things - ‘I was hit over the head with a pint of Bulmers when I scored. I don't know where it came from’

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
I'm ready either way.

I've got my 'Why don't we play the kids?' complaint, and my "You can't stay up in the PL on the back of a lot of untested kids' complaint both saved as macros.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Wasn't this one of the issues with Hughton that he didn't let the promising younger players have a chance in the top team. Well, how has that worked out for GraPott?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Wasn't this one of the issues with Hughton that he didn't let the promising younger players have a chance in the top team. Well, how has that worked out for GraPott?

Prerty well so far. Alzate is proving himself to be an important player for us and Connolly has gained some valuable experience.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Prerty well so far. Alzate is proving himself to be an important player for us and Connolly has gained some valuable experience.

I'd consider starting Alzate for every game, Connolly is a great player but too similar to Maupay so has had limited minutes this season

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Having watched most U23 games I do not think that there is anybody near to pushing for a call up other than possibly Roberts but we are well off for CBs. Also think that Alzate is a good squad member and possible sub but not ready to start regularly.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Having watched most U23 games I do not think that there is anybody near to pushing for a call up other than possibly Roberts but we are well off for CBs. Also think that Alzate is a good squad member and possible sub but not ready to start regularly.

Should be starting, simple

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Why? He is fancy but not productive. Good prospect for the future though but I think that he is the one who should make way for Macallister in the 18 man squad for this season.

He changes the momentum. He is good on the ball when under pressure. He has a positive vibe. Finally he wants to go forwards.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He changes the momentum. He is good on the ball when under pressure. He has a positive vibe. Finally he wants to go forwards.

Other than that...

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Why? He is fancy but not productive. Good prospect for the future though but I think that he is the one who should make way for Macallister in the 18 man squad for this season. Next season he will replace either Gross or Mooy or even Propper if he is sold in the summer.

As opposed to our other massively productive midfielders with probably about 3 goals and 4 assists between them in the entire season.

Alzate has been easily good enough when he's come on (invariably out of position) to warrant more time than he's getting

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Once again:-

Proving he's hated the Albion since 1910

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here