Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Jordan Peterson

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Seems to have become something of a phenomenon over the last year or so, especially since the Channel 4 interview with Cathy Newman blew up in January.

He's a clinical psychologist but he certainly covers a lot of ground, from History to Psychology to Philosophy to Politics to Ethics to Religion. I personally find him really interesting and he's clearly very intelligent.

What are NCS's thoughts on him?

For those who haven't seen it, here is the Cathy Newman interview:

The Optimist

NSC Patreon
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Hadn’t come across him before but I found that interview very interesting. It’s always good to go a bit deeper into an issue as it’s normally a lot more complicated than it first seems. I think with the gender pay gap you need to understand how much of it comes from unequal opportunities and how much of it comes from choice. The bits that come from unequal opportunities can be worked on but the bits that come from choice maybe have to be accepted.

For example being a pilot is a well paid job and is heavily dominanted by men. If the reason it’s heavily dominated by men is because it’s not accessible to women then that should be changed but if it’s equally accessible and women don’t want to become pilots then there’s not a problem (unless the reason for women not choosing it could be removed).

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
He makes some very valid points and is clearly comfortable with saying exactly what he thinks and is not bothered by upsetting the status quo. He does however seem to make a lot of sweeping statements backed up with little evidence other than saying 'I know this is true/people have told me'.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Showed Newman up for what she is .

JP: I like the countryside

CN: So what your saying is we should nuke the city’s ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
The ostensible impression you might get from his lectures (£60 at the O2 last night, ker-ching) - that he's an angry rich white guy preaching to angry poor white guys (possibly with bad tattoos and a collection of swords somewhere in their house or an interest in Warhammer/memorabilia, possibly optional) - isn't that far off.

I've found some of his academic tips, like how to structure an essay, useful. But his sermons and books are laser-cut for impressionable, fearful, slightly mysogynistic, slightly racist men who want to hear a strong fatherly voice, and his tone preys on them, because if you're looking for a forceful message you're not going to hear the flaws in what's being said. It's a bit worrying that so many people are becoming acolytes of his at a time when the world could do with a lot more compassion and nuanced thinking, rather than, say, shoutily calling all women chaotic and going after people who identify as non-binary.

He also has a habit of padding out his rants with white noise about religion and neurology, much of which is baffling or flat out wrong. Some of that's worth reading for lolz - he thinks carbohydrates are poisonous. I'm not sure if he didn't start off well-meaning and descend into madness as fame engulfed him.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The ostensible impression you might get from his lectures (£60 at the O2 last night, ker-ching) - that he's an angry rich white guy preaching to angry poor white guys (possibly with bad tattoos and a collection of swords somewhere in their house or an interest in Warhammer/memorabilia, possibly optional) - isn't that far off.

I've found some of his academic tips, like how to structure an essay, useful. But his sermons and books are laser-cut for impressionable, fearful, slightly mysogynistic, slightly racist men who want to hear a strong fatherly voice, and his tone preys on them, because if you're looking for a forceful message you're not going to hear the flaws in what's being said. It's a bit worrying that so many people are becoming acolytes of his at a time when the world could do with a lot more compassion and nuanced thinking, rather than, say, shoutily calling all women chaotic and going after people who identify as non-binary.

He also has a habit of padding out his rants with white noise about religion and neurology, much of which is baffling or flat out wrong. Some of that's worth reading for lolz - he thinks carbohydrates are poisonous. I'm not sure if he didn't start off well-meaning and descend into madness as fame engulfed him.

:thumbsup:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

This.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I first noticed him (approvingly) when he stood up against the Canadian government's attempts to force the use of gender-neutral pronouns when talking to trans people, and - despite being a miserable old lefty - I find a lot of what he says quite interesting. Many interviewers (such as Cathy Newman) and critics have let themselves down by deliberately misunderstanding or misrepresenting what he says and believes on various subjects. Predictably, that led to a load of his dim white male alt-right followers bigging him up as 'destroying', 'owning' or 'schooling' some 'left-wing' interviewers/academics/feminists on YouTube clips, when all he was doing was having a discussion with them.

He's certainly against Marxists and the left-wing domination of many university governing and student bodies, but is he actually very far to the right in everything he says? The fact that he has been taken up as a hero and spokesman for the right by a lot of the aforesaid dim white males certainly hasn't hurt his book or lecture ticket sales.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
He's certainly against Marxists and the left-wing domination of many university governing and student bodies, but is he actually very far to the right in everything he says? The fact that he has been taken up as a hero and spokesman for the right by a lot of the aforesaid dim white males certainly hasn't hurt his book or lecture ticket sales.

He plays up to the alt-right for profit.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
He's a curious hybrid of libertarianism and evolutionary psychology so his intellectual precursor is Social Darwinism. And that didn't turn out too well.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

He can certainly come accross as quite forceful (or perhaps insistant).

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about him appealing to slightly mysogynistic or slightly racist men though? From what I have heard of him he believes the individual is important, and his biggest gripe seems to be collectivism, i.e. considering group identity to be important. Racism and sexism are all about putting people into groups and then saying something about them based on that group. I would have thought that individualism is the antithesis of racism?

I'm also not sure what you mean by "going after people who identify as non-binary."? I mean he said he wouldn't follow a law compelling the use of certain words, is that what you are referring to? Because I wouldn't say that was "going after" anyone.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
This is really interesting, talking about why people vote the ways that they do and why some people are the SJW/Politically correct types.

larus

Interesting interview. I was not impressed with her though, as her pre-conceived views led to her twisting his answers to her questions.

I think some of the topics discussed are very complex, but the problem is that the interviewers want to get simple answers butt there aren’t any.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Wow, I was just looking at his subreddit and someone posted a picture of the crowd at Dublin's 3Arena where he was doing a debate last night apparently. It's quite surreal to think that such a large crowd is there to listen to a several hour long intellectual discussion, and on a Saturday night.

Clearly not all angry white men either.

gs0c58siry911.jpg

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
He plays up to the alt-right for profit.

Except he doesn't, he's denounced any kind of supremacist views or mindset many times. To suggest otherwise suggests you haven't listened to him that much.

He's against governmental authoritarianism no matter what side it is. Because he's Canadian he's taken on their authoritarian government which brought about his rise.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here