Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Official FC St Gallen v Brighton and Hove Albion Matchday Thread

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
My take on the game today from a seat in the main stand at Kybunpark:

You can't read anything into performances when the full week of training they've had must be in the legs. St Gallen start their league season next weekend - so they're at the end of the pre-season cycle.
The second half team did a bit better than the first half - but St Gallen also mixed it up in the second half. Of the four and a half strikers - Murray, Baldock, Locadia, Hemed and a few minutes up front for Gyokeres, Hemed was the stand out. Not only for the goal but his general demeanour and desire. Locadia confuses me, played so well in the Old Trafford cup game, but today he never looked to be in a helpful position and does look half-hearted.

4228 fans turned up - I'd say about 100 Albion between those in the corner and the smattering of shirts and accents in the main stand. Entry to the stadium was free ! Imagine that for the Sporting Lisbon friendly at the Amex - a smart move by St Gallen on a hot day, 27 degrees at KO, plenty of youngsters with parents, and with the league season starting next week.

Showed the World Cup 3rd/4th place on a big screen on the steps down from the stadium too, straight after the match.

Shame for Towell and Skalak that they were there and kicking balls around but clearly never considered to play a part unless injury demanded. On the subject of which, Murray went down almost in front of me - he knew it wasn't great immediately, and to see him in a heavily protected plastic boot casing and on crutches ain't great. I do think however that we should be imagining that Glenn's ability to even repeat what he did last year (and the year before) may be a challenge too far. Andone needs to be ready to step up and once again our strikeforce needs work.

No point in trying to read any impact at all for our second assault on Premier League survival - without Ryan, Balogun, Izquierdo and Andone - any other new signings in the pipeline - the squad will look quite different in one month's time. Bernardo looked raw (and young - or maybe it's me that's old) but my biggest worry is still Schelotto, love his passion, but always looks like an accident waiting to happen.

Our second half back four - Schelotto, Bruno, Barclay and Suttner didn't get tested that much and Keto did well with a couple of shots that did get through. Many of those on show today won't play a Premier League minute this season, so for a training game it was ok - and a nice day out in a classy stadium (with shopping centre and decent parking attached).

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I have an issue with Bernardo becaused on his own admission he can play any position across the back four so to say he is not a right back is a bit churlish. I like Gykores and consider him to be a great prospect that many wanted included in the squad at the end of the season but I believe that it is a big step up that he is not yet ready for but he will be one day, perhaps in 12 months.

Well I could play up front, I never did but thought I could.

It’s clearly one thing for a player to say it, another for him to actually do it.

I think I heard him say on Seagulls Player, that LB was his preferred position, but he’ll play anywhere to help the team.......

I could be wrong and can’t be arsed to look [emoji2]

Gyokores is not a down the middle style player, based on what I have seen. Tends to be an outside left, but not quite a winger and cut in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
My take on the game today from a seat in the main stand at Kybunpark:

You can't read anything into performances when the full week of training they've had must be in the legs. St Gallen start their league season next weekend - so they're at the end of the pre-season cycle.
The second half team did a bit better than the first half - but St Gallen also mixed it up in the second half. Of the four and a half strikers - Murray, Baldock, Locadia, Hemed and a few minutes up front for Gyokeres, Hemed was the stand out. Not only for the goal but his general demeanour and desire. Locadia confuses me, played so well in the Old Trafford cup game, but today he never looked to be in a helpful position and does look half-hearted.

4228 fans turned up - I'd say about 100 Albion between those in the corner and the smattering of shirts and accents in the main stand. Entry to the stadium was free ! Imagine that for the Sporting Lisbon friendly at the Amex - a smart move by St Gallen on a hot day, 27 degrees at KO, plenty of youngsters with parents, and with the league season starting next week.

Showed the World Cup 3rd/4th place on a big screen on the steps down from the stadium too, straight after the match.

Shame for Towell and Skalak that they were there and kicking balls around but clearly never considered to play a part unless injury demanded. On the subject of which, Murray went down almost in front of me - he knew it wasn't great immediately, and to see him in a heavily protected plastic boot casing and on crutches ain't great. I do think however that we should be imagining that Glenn's ability to even repeat what he did last year (and the year before) may be a challenge too far. Andone needs to be ready to step up and once again our strikeforce needs work.

No point in trying to read any impact at all for our second assault on Premier League survival - without Ryan, Balogun, Izquierdo and Andone - any other new signings in the pipeline - the squad will look quite different in one month's time. Bernardo looked raw (and young - or maybe it's me that's old) but my biggest worry is still Schelotto, love his passion, but always looks like an accident waiting to happen.

Our second half back four - Schelotto, Bruno, Barclay and Suttner didn't get tested that much and Keto did well with a couple of shots that did get through. Many of those on show today won't play a Premier League minute this season, so for a training game it was ok - and a nice day out in a classy stadium (with shopping centre and decent parking attached).

Thanks for that..... [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This result does make the Wimbledon match somewhat of a must win fixture.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Club website says Walton to Wigan on Monday and Balogun and Ryan joining up on Tuesday so would assume they are coming home tomorrow and have Monday off then back to training Tuesday.

Lush

Mods' Pet
My worry is still the lack of vision or ability or bravery to pass to players making runs, preferring the safe sideways pass. I can understand the need for caution if we were playing a top team that would seize on a stray pass and punish you, but surely we could have been a bit more confident in a pre season friendly. Schellotto and Knockeart were much more ‘in tune’ than Bong and March. Still sad to see some good runs going to waste because the ball doesn’t arrive.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here