Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The "Where will Zaha go?" Summer 2018 thread

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Lots of underestimating of Zaha here if you ask me. He is arguably the most effective player Palace or Brighton have ever had. Last year, he was the difference between them being a mid-table Premier League team and relegation (probably in 20th). .

We’ve never had to rely on a single player as much. As for Vicente, our record with him in the team was very ordinary so I wouldn’t classify him as one of our best, not in the 2 seasons he was with us anyway.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Lots of underestimating of Zaha here if you ask me. He is arguably the most effective player Palace or Brighton have ever had. Last year, he was the difference between them being a mid-table Premier League team and relegation (probably in 20th). .

We’ve never had to rely on a single player as much. As for Vicente, our record with him in the team was very ordinary so I wouldn’t classify him as one of our best, not in the 2 seasons he was with us anyway.

Murray last year?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Lots of underestimating of Zaha here if you ask me. He is arguably the most effective player Palace or Brighton have ever had.
But the poster didn't say he'd been effective, they said he was the best player to have played for either club, and he clearly isn't. Why are you now moving the goalposts?

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Parish has seen the Palace wage bill drop by roughly £300k/w this summer, so we can afford to give a signficant chunk of that to a player of outstanding quality, who would likely represent an opportunity to sell on for a huge profit if he performs well.

Um wasn’t it widely acknowledged that you HAD to SLASH the wage bill by such a sizeable sum to ensure you met one of the PL financial requirements of wages not exceeding either your prior year + £7m rule or the 12/13 year + £19m rule?

Doesn’t leave a “significant chunk” available if you’re already not compliant with this? Maybe the accounting chicanery was a direct result of ensuring a way to bend your accounts with this in mind?

Who knew Wilf/Benteke/Cabaye etc were all actually employed as double glazing salesmen for “Smoke and Mirrors Ltd”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Um wasn’t it widely acknowledged that you HAD to SLASH the wage bill by such a sizeable sum to ensure you met one of the PL financial requirements of wages not exceeding either your prior year + £7m rule or the 12/13 year + £19m rule?

Doesn’t leave a “significant chunk” available if you’re already not compliant with this? Maybe the accounting chicanery was a direct result of ensuring a way to bend your accounts with this in mind?

Who knew Wilf/Benteke/Cabaye etc were all actually employed as double glazing salesmen for “Smoke and Mirrors Ltd”?

I made this point about wages a few pages back but surprisingly didn't get a reply.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

That wasn't the question though. The goonsquad are trying to claim that their gravity whore is the greatest player EVER to have played for either club. That is patently a ridiculous statement, as there are plenty of players (on both sides) who have played for our clubs who were far superior.

In each case we may not have had them in their prime. But I'm not having Zaha being a better player than Vincente, Lawro, Ian Wright, Atillio Lombardo et-al. Palace fans endlessly brown-nose him and worship him as a GOD because he's a local lad, and is their current talisman. But in the great scheme of things, he can hardly be described as a 'great'. To everyone else not wearing the jester-specs, he's a decent player, a hugely important one for them. But he's ultimately just a patchy winger playing at a small club who has won NOTHING so far in his career. Nowt.

Describing him as "the greatest ever" is just the usual Palace hyperbole going into overdrive. They're known for it.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I made this point about wages a few pages back but surprisingly didn't get a reply.

I was a bit slow on the uptake and saw your reply after my initial knee jerk reaction and desire to get in a sneaky FACT based jab to the quivering bottom lip of the stupid little oik.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Anybody see Danny Mills' analysis on Zaha's chances of a move to a top six club on SSN this morning? Pointed out he couldn't get a place in a top six side at the moment, because they all have a player in his position better than him.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Anybody see Danny Mills' analysis on Zaha's chances of a move to a top six club on SSN this morning? Pointed out he couldn't get a place in a top six side at the moment, because they all have a player in his position better than him.

Danny mills :) you're scraping the barrel now . Wilf isn't leaving and we are building a very good team , wait till you see our signings .

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Danny mills :) you're scraping the barrel now . Wilf isn't leaving and we are building a very good team , wait till you see our signings .

https://metro.co.uk/2018/08/01/chel...er-sign-wilfried-zaha-crystal-palace-7784458/

Hold that thought ti'll next week Dougie. Spurs have been sniffing around Wilf for a while now as well. If either of them up the offer to 40-45m he may well be off. Maybe it's time to let Cinders go to the party? Again.

Still, you'll get the chance to build the squad with Mr Drinkwater and of course, your 'secret' signings.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
https://metro.co.uk/2018/08/01/chel...er-sign-wilfried-zaha-crystal-palace-7784458/

Hold that thought ti'll next week Dougie. Spurs have been sniffing around Wilf for a while now as well. If either of them up the offer to 40-45m he may well be off. Maybe it's time to let Cinders go to the party? Again.

Still, you'll get the chance to build the squad with Mr Drinkwater and of course, your 'secret' signings.

I'm not worried in the slightest , wilf is staying as he can see what we're building here .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here