Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The "Where will Zaha go?" Summer 2018 thread

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
[MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION]'s thread reminded me that it seems that Croydon's favourite son wants to chance his arm/diving skills at a big club again. Seems he really might be too good for you, where "you" is Crystal Palace.

With Zaha single-handendly rescuing Palace time and time again, and Palace's consistent ability to spunk big money on under-performers, this has the potential to be a win/win situation.

Let's monitor how this one plays out this Summer.

A quick search of Google News for Zaha suggests that maybe wheels are slowly starting to turn...

Everton transfer news: Crystal Palace laugh at Wilfried Zaha price - 'we're not stupid!'

“I think Zaha will be a very costly transfer to any club because I think Palace will hold out for in excess of £60m, probably £70m, for a player who I don’t think has done enough to justify that type of price tag but that is the market we are now in.”

McGarry thinks a switch to Chelsea could be more likely.

“Zaha to Chelsea makes sense because there is a very real chance they will lose Eden Hazard and/or Willian as well.”

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
There will be several Champions League clubs interested in him. I wouldn't begrudge him a move, he's far too good for a midtable Premier League side and deserves another chance at the top. Obviously I hope we manage to keep him, but if he does leave then I can only hope that it's not too late in the window to spend the £60m+ we'll be getting for him. I think Chelsea would be a good move for him, but I'd rather he went abroad so we didn't have to see him play for them at Selhurst :nono:

Without him relegation is virtually guaranteed.

Talk about hyperbole. We'd have to change the way we play but I've got every confidence that Roy would manage to keep us up without him. Wilf is our best player but there is no shortage of quality elsewhere on the pitch (Guiata, Milivojevic, Sakho, Van Aanholt, etc.)

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
[MENTION=19]

“Zaha to Chelsea makes sense because there is a very real chance they will lose Eden Hazard and/or Willian as well.”

Thats a bit like having shopped at Harrods and the quality that brings to having now shop in M&S, not quiet Primark but no longer being able to shop in Knightsbridge

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Man Utd can buy him back for £3m, as part of a buy back agreement. That would be very amusing.

If that is true they’d be mugs not to do it and move him straight on a la Hobson. Something as funny as that would be can’t happen can it?

Are there any links to this? Palace cannot have been that stupid can they?

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
There will be several Champions League clubs interested in him. I wouldn't begrudge him a move, he's far too good for a midtable Premier League side and deserves another chance at the top. Obviously I hope we manage to keep him, but if he does leave then I can only hope that it's not too late in the window to spend the £60m+ we'll be getting for him. I think Chelsea would be a good move for him, but I'd rather he went abroad so we didn't have to see him play for them at Selhurst :nono:

Talk about hyperbole. We'd have to change the way we play but I've got every confidence that Roy would manage to keep us up without him. Wilf is our best player but there is no shortage of quality elsewhere on the pitch (Guiata, Milivojevic, Sakho, Van Aanholt, etc.)

You don't win without Wilf tho?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
If they do sell they will need some of the money just to balance the books so a big spending spree is not necessarily on the cards either. Probably just £30m on another donkey like Benteke and Parish will say that the rest of the money is "ring fenced" for stadium improvements (but it wont actually appear anywhere in the accounts aside from wiping out their losses).

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
It’s seems LFC have also been linked.... however I’ve asked Klopp not to sign him as his caravan would lower the level of Anfield road car park.....

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
So Utd exercise the buy back which is likely to be considerably less than Palace's valuation and then offload him on loan to, for example, Everton with an option to buy. Let's say the buy back is £3m (although probably is more). Off load him and his wages to Everton and they buy him for £30m after a year. Good bit of business for Man Utd as they recoup their original outlay when they first bought him and make a tidy profit. Oh, and the bi product of this business is that Palace get shafted. What's not to like?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If that is true they’d be mugs not to do it and move him straight on a la Hobson. Something as funny as that would be can’t happen can it?

Are there any links to this? Palace cannot have been that stupid can they?

Beat me to it. I took too long typing to say the same thing.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

So much quality that the other players can't win a game if he doesn't play. Typical Palace logic there.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What a bizarre thing for someone to make up that would be. Why would you even make such an assumption?!
I thought maybe you made it up because it was funny.

Didn't Utd sell him to Palace for £6m, meaning that buying him back for £3m would be a bit of a con?

It's all on the wiki page.

"It also included a buy back clause,[35] believed to be in the region of £3 million, rising to £6 million with add-ons; Manchester United will also receive a percentage of the fee if Palace sell Zaha in the future."
That's a strange one. United not buying him back would be crazy. There manager has changed (several times) since his time there, and he's now a proven PL player. Buy him and give him a chance to get in the team, and if he can't sell him for a nice profit.

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
So much quality that the other players can't win a game if he doesn't play. Typical Palace logic there.

He missed 9 games last season if I remember correctly and those included Liverpool away, Chelsea away, United x2 and City away. It would've been tough to win those games anyway. There's no question that last seasons team was massively improved by Zaha's quality when he was fit, but it's silly to suggest that we'd be completely unable to win without him in future. We survived in the Premier League when Zaha was at United with a much weaker side, there's no reason to believe we couldn't survive again.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
First I’ve heard mention of a couple buy back clause, but the sell on percentage is supposed to be quite hefty, it’s a guess but I’d imagine it to be in the 25% to 40% range.

If they do sell him for £70m, which it seems is the asking price, then Manchester United will trouser a nice £17.5m (at 25%). Amazing that he can flop so completely at a big club and they can still come away with a decent profit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here