Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The "Where will Zaha go?" Summer 2018 thread

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I appreciate this was done for the 16/17 PL season, but do you have any idea where Brighton will sit in the equivalent 17/18 table?

It's slightly more than guesswork but not much more but I'm expecting total income of broadcast £108m (up from £8.1m) matchday £14m (£10.7) and commercial £13m (10.4) to give a total of about £135m (£29.2m).

In 16/17 the wage bill was £31.3m excluding promotion bonuses.

Average wage bill in EPL in 2016/17 for non 'Big Six' clubs was £91.3m, and I would expect us to be below the average, probably at around the £75-80m level, which would give a wage to income ratio of 56-59%.

Big 6 v 14 Wages.JPG

Premier League 2017 Annualised Wages.JPG

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Have you got one of those that includes player amortisation? :)

I do now! For those unfamiliar with the concept this measures how much it costs a club in terms of wages and transfer costs amortised (which is the transfer fee over the contract length, so for Pogba it would be £90m over 5 years = £18m amortisation a year).

Thererore for 16/17 Crystal Palace paid out £101 in wages and amortisation for every £100 of income.

Premier League Wage + Amortisation to Income 2017.JPG

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Jordan Ayew having a medical at Crystal Palace apparently. Good signing based on his past record.

Sochaux - relegated
Lorient- relegated
Aston Villa - relegated
Swansea - relegated

Yeah, he's definitely the worst Ayew. And the best is pretty mediocre.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I do now! For those unfamiliar with the concept this measures how much it costs a club in terms of wages and transfer costs amortised (which is the transfer fee over the contract length, so for Pogba it would be £90m over 5 years = £18m amortisation a year).

Thererore for 16/17 Crystal Palace paid out £101 in wages and amortisation for every £100 of income.

View attachment 99399

So they've spunked every last penny, and some, on players whilst the infrastructure rots.....................

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

View attachment 99399

Well it looks as though, as a club, they have learned from their 2 previous administrations.

The sooner they collapse financially, the better.

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
Now, taking off my Albion hat for a minute... I think he's absolutely terrifying when fired up and in form. Anyone who can carry a team like he did deserves credit. He's stopped the diving, got stronger, faster, grew up a bit and still has his pace and the ability to win games. I really think he should move on to bigger/better things.

But I can understand Palace trying to hold on to him for dear life. He seemed to be the glue that held that team and even their support together. They suffered terribly with injuries last year but the difference in that team with him playing is night and day. Absolute game changer for them.

It would be a real shame if he left, they had a few bad results, the fans turned on the team and the manager again (slit throat gestures, anyone?), their latest big name, well-paid newcomer flopped and they sank like a stone, wouldn't it.

(Ok, I put my Albion hat back on just before that last paragraph)

Refreshing to read a sensible Albion poster on the subject of Wilf. (Well first 2 paragraphs) Plenty on here should learn from this approach the bitterness just makes you look envious of his talents.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Refreshing to read a sensible Albion poster on the subject of Wilf. (Well first 2 paragraphs) Plenty on here should learn from this approach the bitterness just makes you look envious of his talents.

Think you'll find most of us would agree with that post to be fair - haven't seen a lot claiming he's not a very good footballer. I do think you're in deep shit if he leaves though - which despite numerous protestations from your lot on here over the last few days looks a possibility.

Meanwhile, Roy's view this morning :

Roy: 'I spoke to Wilf yesterday and he certainly gave me no indication that he wanted to quit the club, we were talking about how good the new signings were. The thing with Wilf is very simple; he’s very much an integral part of Crystal Palace football club.'

Last edited:

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Think you'll find most of us would agree with that post to be fair - haven't seen a lot claiming he's not a very good footballer. I do think you're in deep shit if he leaves though - which despite numerous protestations from your lot on here over the last few days looks a possibility.

Agreed. He's a top 6 club footballer in a bottom half club. If he does stay he'd still be a brilliant footballer. Just a very, very stupid one.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Do you see the irony in your post?

This board is regularly infested by Palace goons filled with envy and bitterness which they turn into ridicule . If you don't like what you read on here you know what the solution is don't you?

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011

It’s a funny one. Everything from Roy, Wilf and Palace suggests he is staying and looking forward to the season. The most reliable Palace linked journalists in the mainstream media (Arrons,Maylon) say that he is staying. Stories without sources and quotes keep popping up every 2 or 3 days from journalists that have no Palace connection. Website clicks are a valuable source of revenue for struggling newspapers these days.

Yes he could still go , Chelsea as I have previously said would be favourites but everything suggests he will stay for another season.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No chance.

The narrative will move on from "He's not going anywhere, he's bought into what we are doing here" to "We absolutely rinsed Chelsea - we couldn't say no to a zillion pounds that allows us to replace Wilf with 5 more Wilfs."

Even if it happens very late in the day, do you really think they have quality players lined up to buy if he goes? They’ll hopefully have to wait until January to get rinsed themselves with desperate buys. I live in hope anyway.

I can’t see anything but PAIN for Palace fans if Zaha goes....and they don’t come on here when things are going badly.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

View attachment 99399
Thank you. I've been banging on about them being a loss making club if they don't sell players so it's nice to see it in a form so simple that even the goon squad on here should be able to understand it.

This is of course before all the other costs of running the club. What a STATE.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

View attachment 99399

Frightening stuff unless you are a Palace fan on NSC.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It’s a funny one. Everything from Roy, Wilf and Palace suggests he is staying and looking forward to the season. The most reliable Palace linked journalists in the mainstream media (Arrons,Maylon) say that he is staying. Stories without sources and quotes keep popping up every 2 or 3 days from journalists that have no Palace connection. Website clicks are a valuable source of revenue for struggling newspapers these days.

Yes he could still go , Chelsea as I have previously said would be favourites but everything suggests he will stay for another season.

Think there'll be loads of ridiculous cash splashed in the next week.....Roy's words are being interpreted a bit as well. We'll see.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Pretty much everyone on here agrees he's a very good lower half of Prem player. No one is disputing that - please point me to where they are.

It's the childish and daft histrionics of BEST PLAYER EVA!!1! that annoys us.

Last edited:

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
Do you see the irony in your post?

This board is regularly infested by Palace goons filled with envy and bitterness which they turn into ridicule . If you don't like what you read on here you know what the solution is don't you?

Envy :D

Maybe give the many Palace related threads a miss if you don't like what is posted within them, there is a solution for you...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here