Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The "Where will Zaha go?" Summer 2018 thread

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

:shrug:

What is the :dunce: for? Zaha did make it fairly clear, as you well know.

That's why he turned down the new contract when it was offered (I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're not one of the hoop-lickers that believed he turned it down because he didn't want to cost his beloved Palace any more money).

Now Palace have denied him his dream move, in this window, he's signed, as if he's stuck there, he might as well milk you for as much as he can while he's there. Should ease the pain a bit.

And from a club perspective, you're in a stronger position when all this starts again in January.

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
I wonder how big the new release clause is?

There's no release clause.
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-to-become-best-paid-player-at-crystal-palace

So between Zaha and Mad Max, they are pocketing £300k PER WEEK :lolol:

Those unpaid creditors must be DELIGHTED for the lads. Still, they got their 1.9p in the pound so they can't grumble too much.

Max Meyer, as you well know, doesn't have wages even close to £170k per week.

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
You explain why he turned down more money / new contract, until after the window was closed and he'd been denied a move.

There's a clear distinction between hoping that a Champions League club come in for him and "saying that he wants to leave."

I'm sure that Wilf would have been excited to sign for Chelsea had they met our valuation, but at no point did he suggest that he was unhappy at Palace or that he'd like to be playing for anyone else this season.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
The irony in Ed Malyon (Palace fan) writing for The 'Independent':
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...deal-five-years-transfer-summer-a8492361.html

Wilfried Zaha signs new five-year contract with Crystal Palace after choosing not to pursue summer transfer

Later in the piece...

Tottenham were linked with the versatile attacker this summer but never made any formal interest. Chelsea were also linked and the two clubs had discussions over a number of players, including Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Danny Drinkwater and Tammy Abraham, but no concrete bid came in for Zaha.

Zaha turned down an offer of an extension earlier in the summer, which was misconstrued by some quarters as a desire to leave the club.

:lolol:

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
You really are thick... anyway, wait for the rest of your squad to demand pay rises now.. Palace spending money like it doesn’t matter.. what could possibly go wrong!

No link to then?...didn't think so. Stop making up absolute bollox and embarrassing yourself.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
No link to then?...didn't think so. Stop making up absolute bollox and embarrassing yourself.

Don’t be thick.. I haven’t got time to go through all interviews but you very well know he insinuated it. I saw the interview!

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Very clever piece of business by Parish, by doing the 5 year extension will have improved their chances of a better sell on fee say 60m....

That was the old clause I'm led to believe . He's worth a lot more now .

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Don’t be thick.. I haven’t got time to go through all interviews but you very well know he insinuated it. I saw the interview!

And the Bromley chairman alleged this .

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
At the end of the day, without him Palace would've been toast long ago, so if in order to keep him he needs to be the highest paid player, then so be it. This still doesn't change the fact that he'd been gone in a flash if any sizable club showed enough interest in him i.e a bid, which will most certainly happen if he maintains last seasons levels throughout the whole of this season. Then he might be remotely close to being worth the ridiculous sum that would be demanded.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
IMG_1157.JPG

Two palace heroes .

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Max Meyer, as you well know, doesn't have wages even close to £170k per week.

You ARE paying him that. The total cost of Max Meyer playing for Palace, across the duration of his contract, is £170k per week

It's almost irrelevant how much of that total is officially wages, and how much is his 'signing on fee' spread out and paid in weekly / monthly installments. Except that pretending the wages are capped at whichever made up figure you want to quote, prevents you having to up the salaries of players with 'top earner' clauses.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here