Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Shaqiri - Deal of the day

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
He is quality. Oh to have a squad player like that. But as suggested, not sure if he will like playing second fiddle. Stoke should have cashed in long ago.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think the term is luxury player, clearly depends what mood he is in.

Good to get away from Stoke though

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Yes, who'd want to sign a 26 year old forward with 74 international caps and whose previous clubs include Basle, Inter Milan and Bayern Munich?

At £13.5m, it's an outstanding move for Liverpool.

They've signed real quality.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
In a side like Liverpool he will thrive as long as he is given game time. He will have more time and room on the ball than he did at Stoke. Very talented player.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I heard he was too fat to play football.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
If you define quality by attitude, being a team player and working hard; they've signed the polar opposite to real quality. I don't think this little napoleon would get into a Hughton or Southgate team.

But, he's the sort of player who can come on with 10 minutes left and bury one almost from nowhere.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
If you define quality by attitude, being a team player and working hard; they've signed the polar opposite to real quality. I don't think this little napoleon would get into a Hughton or Southgate team.

I've always believed quality to be more than simply being a respectful workhorse on the pitch and in the dressing room.

He wouldn't get into any side that places substance over style, but that's the reason talented players (Le Tis, Hoddle, etc.) often get the 'lazy' tag.

I think Southgate would have loved to have that 'problem' in an England side that was painfully devoid of any midfield creative quality.

Shaqiri's got flair oozing out of every pore. He scores outstanding goals and is a game breaker. And he's proven in the Premier League.

As for the Albion and taking the question of wages aside, 13m for a 26 year old Shaqiri or 15m for 24 year old Locadia?

Not that we were ever in the running for him, but time will no doubt tell as to who was the bigger transfer success.

Either way, it's still a stunning piece of business by Liverpool.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Who defines quality just by attitude? On that basis you'd be claiming that Ronaldo in his younger days was not quality when quite clearly he was and is, or George Best or a host of other mavericks.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Luxury player - surprised Liverpool went for him. I predict a flop.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Shaqiri, who will wear the number 23 shirt, was linked with a move to Anfield in 2014 but Bayern Munich reportedly blocked the transfer.

"As a player you always want to be on the biggest stage in football," he said.

"A few years ago I wanted to come too but it didn't happen. I'm really happy that now I'm finally here. I want to improve myself too, I want to be with the best and I want to win titles.

"It's a huge club with big history, big players and a fantastic coach. So I'm really glad and happy to be here."

Shaqiri won the Champions League with Bayern in 2013, and Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp said: "I think the English phrase to explain the decision to sign Xherdan is a 'no-brainer'.

"I know him well from his time in Switzerland and especially Germany - I have been a long-time admirer. But the added bonus now is that he knows the Premier League and what it takes to perform in this uniquely intense environment.

"He has speed and ability, has the right amount of arrogance on the football pitch, real bravery to want the ball and influence things.

"He is someone who makes a big difference to the squad and team, because he can fit in so many positions in our system."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44818207

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Liverpool get Shaqiri for cut price £13m.

Got to be the steal of the day/week/close season!

God knows what his wages will be though.

Where is dear God's name do you get the idea that he is 'cut price' and 'the steal of the day/week/close season'! Are you drunk man? Do your research!

Who defines quality just by attitude?

Perhaps Bayern who wanted shot of him and then Inter who kept him about half a year before they realised that he is a grade A **** and kicked him out. In his transfers to Stoke, Bayern & Inter, only daft Stoke have paid more than Liverpool. This is very much a punt by the scousers, he'll be at West Ham this time next year, mark my words. He needs to be a big fish in a small pond.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here