Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Something that's really good but you only discovered belatedly

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Dressing with more style.

In years gone by, during the summer months I would gad about in regular old combat shorts, T-shirt and baseball cap. While I will still occassionally wear this stuff, I have turned a sartorial corner.

A couple of years ago as I approached my forties I took myself shopping and bought a selection of light cotton trousers, linen trousers, shirts and light sports jackets. Coupled with my panama or fedora hat I find this to be much better in the heat and I feel very good about myself as I get about town. Also an absolute pairing for the cricket.

A pleasant side effect is I find I get treated with a lot more respect as I go about my business and generally service is of better quality and greater efficiancy. It really does play well to the good old British sense of snobbery.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Running, Craig Charles on 6 Music, Fruit Cider (suspect that one is weather related), those granola, fruit and yohurt pots they do in Pret, black coffee without sugar.

Oh yes, and Echo Falls wine. Frascati, of course.....

And Spotify.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The thread tite says "something that's really good but you only discovered belatedly". I was just wondering how you only discovered where you lived belatedly. Basically, you've used a poor example of something the OP was after. A good example would be "using the favourites on my internet browser to access stuff quickly" :wink: :thumbsup:

Yeah, your post still makes no sense. I havnt just discovered where i live belatedly

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

In years gone by, during the summer months I would gad about in regular old combat shorts, T-shirt and baseball cap. While I will still occassionally wear this stuff, I have turned a sartorial corner.

A couple of years ago as I approached my forties I took myself shopping and bought a selection of light cotton trousers, linen trousers, shirts and light sports jackets. Coupled with my panama or fedora hat I find this to be much better in the heat and I feel very good about myself as I get about town. Also an absolute pairing for the cricket.

A pleasant side effect is I find I get treated with a lot more respect as I go about my business and generally service is of better quality and greater efficiancy. It really does play well to the good old British sense of snobbery.

:needpics:

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Tolerance.

Until I was about 40 I had absolute black and white views about all things, people, music, politics, entertainment. I still have a bit of a tendency to walk away from anything or anyone that I find irritating (ahem), but I have found that lots of people that 20 years ago I'd run a mile from turn out to be very decent, and great company. Even if some of their views, tastes and attitudes may be a bit peculiar. The *****.

One other thing is loafing. Again when younger I was manic and obsessed with cramming as much into every day as humanly possible. When the sun was out I HAD to be stripped off and on a beach, and if I was stuck somewhere else I'd get extroardinarly tense and angry. Now I'm quite content to sit in traffic or even go shopping. Maybe its because I'm thinking about retirement. Loafing seems incredibly appealing now I've tried it a bit.

I’m a big fan of loafing after putting the hours in at whatever it is you did. Excessive loafing is not good though and tends to fry the brain, a bit like excessive posting on NSC

That second paragraph has literally described what I've been wearing regularly this summer! However as a metalhead in my mid-20s, I'm at the point where style isn't something I'm bothered about on most occasions.

For me it's TV series. Always end up getting into something on the recommendation of a friend a number of seasons into the show and then go back to binge watch it all from the start. Most recent example being Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Running. Hated it at school, tried a few times in my 20’s to try to be match fit for football but it was never more than a means to an end.

I then had a chat with a guy I vaguely knew at a party in Brighton four years ago. He puffs 20 a day and drinks like there’s no tomorrow, but had just run the Brighton marathon.

I was in my early 50’s, conscious of an expanding waistline and my life was getting increasingly sofa bound. So I bought some running shoes, joined a club with the aim of doing ParkRun, and within weeks I was hooked. Being a numbers nerd helped as PB’s, MPW and many other metrics, and loved every minute of it. I found it wasn’t just improving my physical health but my mental well-being too.

The running community is supportive, inclusive and non-judgemental, and I’ve made new friends and acquaintances (some via NSC runners).

The last 18 months have been tough as I’ve had a knee problem that was misdiagnosed and have been unable to pound the streets. It’s a genuine loss for me as the weight has piled on due to self pity and lack of focus, but hoping to see a consultant & have knee reconstruction soon that may be initially debilitating but will get me back on the road again.

Running a marathon is my greatest personal accomplishment as I’m easily distracted and lack commitment as a rule, but the support I received from people whilst training who barely knee me was humbling.

If you’ve not tried it, give it a go. Whether your goal is a 5k or more it is great for mind, body and soul.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Keeping tomatoes out of the fridge. The flavour improves thricefold.

colonies man

Jul 30, 2011
Discovering that my wife who in her sixties has watched her first World Cup is an expert on goalkeeping.She said that Croatian goalkeeper should have saved the French penalty as it was obvious which way it was going.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here