Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Isner v Anderson

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
It’s a bit pathetic that the greatest tennis tournament in the world has to stop (at 11pm) due to the local Council. Would only ever happen in the UK!

If they play much beyond that it would be in front of a half empty stadium as most of the spectators would have no way of getting home.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
But other majors play well into the small hours. The US Open even has evening sessions! In all truth it’s very rare (other than rain) that Wimbledon would continue so late so for the sake of one night in the year, surely the authorities could see sense?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
But other majors play well into the small hours. The US Open even has evening sessions! In all truth it’s very rare (other than rain) that Wimbledon would continue so late so for the sake of one night in the year, surely the authorities could see sense?

Alternatively, Wimbledon could schedule matches to start before 1pm? Just a thought.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

But if they played till midnight nobody would be able to get home as all the tubes and trains would have stopped. So they could carry on playing till past 11pm but the stands would be 75% empty.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Alternatively, Wimbledon could schedule matches to start before 1pm? Just a thought.

Good idea but then the women’s semi’s only lasted 3 hours so they’d have problems filling the rest of the day! BTW I’m lost with this equality thing when the women play for 3 hours and the men play for 10+ hours but both get the same pay? I’d love a job on full pay when only working a third of the hours!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Shame they didn't schedule the semis the other way around, with this match played first, followed by the 7 hour freak show.

It's not accidental though - they wanted the big match to coincide with UK prime time TV, and they got that. Wimbledon always schedule their matches this way.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
It's not accidental though - they wanted the big match to coincide with UK prime time TV, and they got that. Wimbledon always schedule their matches this way.

There are so many wrong statements on this thread, but this is awful, Bozza.

Nothing to do with uk prime time tv etc.

Wimbledon is global, and the biggest tennis tournament in the world, end of.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Wimbledon completely exposes the hypocrisy of the press and public's reaction to the English football team over the years.

The most prestigious tennis tournament on the planet and never an English player near the final. It's the real repeating national sporting failure, not the the football.

The England do badly in a tournament or don't qualify they have FAILED.

A plucky English tennis player gets knocked out in the early rounds and they have made A JOLLY GOOD ATTEMPT.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
The US Open, the French Open and the Australian Open are all on tv.

Anderson won't have any stamina left for the final, so it's either Nadal or Djokovic on Sunday as champion.

I was on the wind up on this thread.

I understand that interest in sport is an individual thing. Fair enough. Tennis is the only sport I sit and watch and think 'this is shit' with no redeeming features and I'll watch more or less anything in the Olympics when it's on. I wish the tennis boys well but just don't get it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here