Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Advice needed - non-provision of services

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
At the beginning of the month, my wife & I held a Birthday Party for our two boys who turned 2 & 4.

In the lead up to the party, my wife undertook all the planning & organising to make sure that everything was in place.

As part of this, we decided to hire a balloon modeller. With typical meticulous research, my wife found a lady who fitted the bill and confirmed that she was available on the date. To secure the booking we paid a deposit of £50, with the balance to be paid the week before the party. The deposit was paid at the end of April.

In May and June my wife texted the balloon modeller to establish that she had received the deposit and had our booking in her diary. We received no replies.

Then, a week before the party, we received a text out of the blue stating that she could no longer fulfill our booking. No reason was given, no mention of refunding of the deposit and no apology.

With my wife wanting everything to be perfect, this was extremely upsetting for her and she spent anxious hours trying to find another balloon modeller and fortunately we managed to secure a replacement who was fantastic with the children.

Having had the party, we have again tried to contact our original balloon lady to have our deposit returned to be met by a deafening silence.

If we had cancelled our booking, I would not expect our deposit to be refunded, however as the cancellation was her decision, I do expect to have it returned.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation and if so, how did you go about getting your money back? At the moment I am thinking about writing a letter, but would need to make the correct legal references e.g. consumer act or similar - can anyone point me in the right direction for a suitable template or wording?

Thanks in advance for any help that can help me get my money back!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
At the beginning of the month, my wife & I held a Birthday Party for our two boys who turned 2 & 4.

In the lead up to the party, my wife undertook all the planning & organising to make sure that everything was in place.

As part of this, we decided to hire a balloon modeller. With typical meticulous research, my wife found a lady who fitted the bill and confirmed that she was available on the date. To secure the booking we paid a deposit of £50, with the balance to be paid the week before the party. The deposit was paid at the end of April.

In May and June my wife texted the balloon modeller to establish that she had received the deposit and had our booking in her diary. We received no replies.

Then, a week before the party, we received a text out of the blue stating that she could no longer fulfill our booking. No reason was given, no mention of refunding of the deposit and no apology.

With my wife wanting everything to be perfect, this was extremely upsetting for her and she spent anxious hours trying to find another balloon modeller and fortunately we managed to secure a replacement who was fantastic with the children.

Having had the party, we have again tried to contact our original balloon lady to have our deposit returned to be met by a deafening silence.

If we had cancelled our booking, I would not expect our deposit to be refunded, however as the cancellation was her decision, I do expect to have it returned.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation and if so, how did you go about getting your money back? At the moment I am thinking about writing a letter, but would need to make the correct legal references e.g. consumer act or similar - can anyone point me in the right direction for a suitable template or wording?

You don't really need any legal references, you need to write a letter stating the terms of your agreement i.e. refundable deposit on her cancellation, clearly set out when she notified you of cancelling, date of the party, then give your bank details and address and request payment within a reasonable period of time, say 14 days. State that if payment is not received within that time, you will make a claim via the Small Claims Court (an online application you can make yourself) and the fees for that will be added to the claim.

bha100

Aug 25, 2011

As mentioned try to resolve through letters and if you get nowhere finally send a 'Letter before claim ' if still no response issue the claim , have a read of this

https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/JCO/Documents/CJC/Publications/Other+papers/Small+Claims+Guide+for+web+FINAL.pdf

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
There's going to be an Ernest thread on this, isn't there?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Is it just me, but would the alarm bells not have gone off in May and June given the silence in not confirmed that the deposit had been received and the booking was in the diary.

Anyway, hope you get the deposit back

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

How did you pay?
If by card, your issuer should be able to chargeback for you.
They will need evidence of communication between you and the seller.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Has anyone else been in a similar situation and if so, how did you go about getting your money back?

My advice? Be very sure of your facts.

I once got into a financial dispute with a balloon modeller and when it finally went to court she made a monkey out of me.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
It's straight forward as shown above.

Write to her informing her that she is withholding your cash. Mention that a lack of response will see the case go to the Small Claims Court.

She probably won't want a CCJ.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Surprised you haven't burst into tears

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here