Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

1 Not allowed!
    Endless mentions/tweets/memes of 'It's coming home'; talking about the potential final against France; gloating that 'big' teams got knocked out early (Germany, mostly). No, I can't see where they got any inspiration from. Not at all. He's not wrong, but Modric is hyping it up a bit. There was certainly an air of arrogance among SOME pundits, fans, JCLs, probably from the moment the team beat Panama. But then, that's the way it's always been. Normally the hype is pre-tournament, this time it was during.

Basically, even if some people said it in jest, there are others out there who thought England were DEFINITELY going to win the WC. And a few of them now have the tattoos to prove it!

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bobkin View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Endless mentions/tweets/memes of 'It's coming home'; talking about the potential final against France; gloating that 'big' teams got knocked out early (Germany, mostly). No, I can't see where they got any inspiration from. Not at all. He's not wrong, but Modric is hyping it up a bit. There was certainly an air of arrogance among SOME pundits, fans, JCLs, probably from the moment the team beat Panama. But then, that's the way it's always been. Normally the hype is pre-tournament, this time it was during.

Basically, even if some people said it in jest, there are others out there who thought England were DEFINITELY going to win the WC. And a few of them now have the tattoos to prove it!
      Genuine Question
      Are English fans and their media any different to any other country that find themselves in the same situation or are we just more frowned upon for doing what everyone else does?
      Minister of Information

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by hart's shirt View Post
      Former England players get excited at prospect of England making it to the World Cup Final.

Shocking.
      Maybe I'm old fashioned. But, as a kid, I was influenced more by the theatrical style of the classic old school.

That famous Bryon Butler Maradona commentary sends a frison down the spine. And here it is from 6 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by looney View Post
      ....and you seem to be hanging around these politics threads for an unhealthy amount of time...

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by rool View Post
      Genuine Question
      Are English fans and their media any different to any other country that find themselves in the same situation or are we just more frowned upon for doing what everyone else does?
      I honestly have no idea. Possibly the former

5 Not allowed!

It's coming home, football's coming home. It didn't say the World Cup was coming home. Football the mojo, the pride, has all returned home.
      The fans waited for 70 minutes after a defeat to see Gareth Southgate. Seventy minutes after losing a game. Think about it.

This is the reception he got.

https://twitter.com/JacquiOatley/sta...29917976031232

Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
      NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!
      When people are rude to you, they reveal who they are, not who you are.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Great support from our fans, Croatia can only dream of that
      Brexit is like trying to remove the egg from an omelette. Updated 2018

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Bolt View Post
      It's coming home, football's coming home. It didn't say the World Cup was coming home. Football the mojo, the pride, has all returned home.
      The fans waited for 70 minutes after a defeat to see Gareth Southgate. Seventy minutes after losing a game. Think about it.

This is the reception he got.

https://twitter.com/JacquiOatley/sta...29917976031232

You reckon that nobody who sang that song, shared a 'hilarious' meme or tagged it in a tweet (normally without the apostrophe) thought England would win the competition after such winning the first two games? Probably not the majority, but I reckon LOADS thought it was in the bag.
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      I honestly have no idea. Possibly the former
      The reason I ask is that I get to see things from an Irish perspective. All I hear on the media is how arrogant we are, how all we go on about is 1966 etc etc.
      Yet I don't see any different in their fans when the Ireland football or rugby teams are doing well and their TV panels are even more biased and parochial than ours in my opinion yet they can't wait to slag off the English/Brits at every opportunity on almost every radio station that I have heard. Every bit of news about England is of a negative nature.
      We go on about 1966. Really? Every Christmas you'll see adverts on TV here for DVD's of great rugby victories over England or, even better, a DVD of when Munster beat the All Blacks back in 1978 FFS.
      Are we really that different?
      On the BHA rollercoaster Icy Gull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Brighton Lines View Post
      Maybe I'm old fashioned. But, as a kid, I was influenced more by the theatrical style of the classic old school.

That famous Bryon Butler Maradona commentary sends a frison down the spine. And here it is from 6 seconds.

That, for me, is the best goal I have ever seen scored in the World Cup.
      Show me a good loser and I will show you a loser - Toto Wolff
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by rool View Post
      The reason I ask is that I get to see things from an Irish perspective. All I hear on the media is how arrogant we are, how all we go on about is 1966 etc etc.
      Yet I don't see any different in their fans when the Ireland football or rugby teams are doing well and their TV panels are even more biased and parochial than ours in my opinion yet they can't wait to slag off the English/Brits at every opportunity on almost every radio station that I have heard. Every bit of news about England is of a negative nature.
      We go on about 1966. Really? Every Christmas you'll see adverts on TV here for DVD's of great rugby victories over England or, even better, a DVD of when Munster beat the All Blacks back in 1978 FFS.
      Are we really that different?
      Doesn’t help when foreign newspapers run articles like this ( do the kiwis have a chip on their shoulder about us as well?)

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/new...ectid=12087651

I didn’t even know we made a fuss.