Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by albionite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Doesn’t help when foreign newspapers run articles like this ( do the kiwis have a chip on their shoulder about us as well?)

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/new...ectid=12087651

I didn’t even know we made a fuss.
    I don't know about the Kiwis, but I know someone in Australia who typed this on Facebook this morning.

England, alongside other defeated semi-finalists Belgium, helped make this one of the best World Cups for a long time. Attacking, entertaining and skillful football. The future is looking bright for the Three Lions!
    Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
    NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!
    When people are rude to you, they reveal who they are, not who you are.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

On the BHA rollercoaster Icy Gull's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Bolt View Post
      It's coming home, football's coming home. It didn't say the World Cup was coming home. Football the mojo, the pride, has all returned home.
      The fans waited for 70 minutes after a defeat to see Gareth Southgate. Seventy minutes after losing a game. Think about it.

This is the reception he got.

https://twitter.com/JacquiOatley/sta...29917976031232

Impressive, the fans, Southgate and the team can be proud of themselves.
      Show me a good loser and I will show you a loser - Toto Wolff

0 Not allowed!
      Never been keen on Croatia - a bit like I have an antipathy towards the German nation.

I quite like Slaven Bilic and felt sympathy when West Ham sacked him but if I ever met an arrogant Croatian (like some of their footballers seem to be), I'd ask them...."And what is your opinion about Jasenovac?".
      Aberystwyth Town FC ATFC Seagull's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by lancyclaret View Post
      Never been keen on Croatia - a bit like I have an antipathy towards the German nation.

I quite like Slaven Bilic and felt sympathy when West Ham sacked him but if I ever met an arrogant Croatian (like some of their footballers seem to be), I'd ask them...."And what is your opinion about Jasenovac?".
      Er, I think there are one or two skeletons in the British closet if you want to go down the historical road. As much as the holocaust was a abomination that must never be forgotten, I'm not sure bringing it up every time you have an unrelated argument someone from a country that took part it in is very helpful.
      Founding member of the Brighton and Hove Albion - Republic of Ireland Supporter's Club: COME ON YOU BOYS IN GREEN!!
      "You can't talk to the sheep - he's a liar!"

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by lancyclaret View Post

Thank you. I'd never heard of the Ustaše and this place before, so I've just read up on it.
      NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!

0 Not allowed!
      IMO our hacks and pundits were overly cocky, treating us as, as good as in the final. At the Croatian press conference the other day, the English reporters were haranguing Lovren about the one time Kane ripped him apart in a league game. Lovren said it wouldnít happen last night. He was correct.

We watched last nightís game in a large Mallorcan hotel bar, with about a 100 English, and a 100 altogether of German/Belgian/Dutch/Spanish.

I was bloody surprised at the multinational roar in unison for the 2 Croatian goals. Every bit as loud as ours.

For the first time I realised that weíre simply not liked in sport, away from England.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Weststander View Post
      IMO our hacks and pundits were overly cocky, treating us as, as good as in the final. At the Croatian press conference the other day, the English reporters were haranguing Lovren about the one time Kane ripped him apart in a league game. Lovren said it wouldn’t happen last night. He was correct.

We watched last night’s game in a large Mallorcan hotel bar, with about a 100 English, and a 100 altogether of German/Belgian/Dutch/Spanish.

I was bloody surprised at the multinational roar in unison for the 2 Croatian goals. Every bit as loud as ours.

For the first time I realised that we’re simply not liked in sport, away from England.
      I don't agree. I watched the first 10 days of the World Cup in France in the company of Dutch, German, and of course, French. The middle weekend saw a junior tournament in Challans, which isn't far from the campsite where our caravan was.
      There were teams of 11 years old, witht their coaches, from Poland, Germany, Romania, Tunisia, and Spain. None of whom, apart from the Tunisians, cheered when a team scored against England.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Bolt View Post
      I don't agree. I watched the first 10 days of the World Cup in France in the company of Dutch, German, and of course, French. The middle weekend saw a junior tournament in Challans, which isn't far from the campsite where our caravan was.
      There were teams of 11 years old, witht their coaches, from Poland, Germany, Romania, Tunisia, and Spain. None of whom, apart from the Tunisians, cheered when a team scored against England.
      I respect your anecdote, as much as I mine really did happen.

If I get talking to any of the ‘foreigners’ during our stay, I might gently enquire.

It could just be the loathing in sporting terms of a Goliath v David. Yes Croatia are better at football, but people love a big population nation losing.

Other than Francophile you, the British roar with pleasure when the French (and Germans) get knocked out of sports events.
      On the BHA rollercoaster Icy Gull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      I care not. I can now settle down, in France, and watch the final with a genuine feeling that I hope the French muller the Croatians. I might even leap about a bit with the French if (when) they score. I might even really enjoy it without any angst too. As good an ending to the World Cup that I could have hoped for before the tournament began.
      Show me a good loser and I will show you a loser - Toto Wolff

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Weststander View Post
      I respect your anecdote, as much as I mine really did happen.

If I get talking to any of the ‘foreigners’ during our stay, I might gently enquire.

It could just be the loathing in sporting terms of a Goliath v David. Yes Croatia are better at football, but people love a big population nation losing.

Other than Francophile you, the British roar with pleasure when the French (and Germans) get knocked out of sports events.
      Others support the underdog whereas the British have long memories of Agincourt, 100 years war, William the Conqueror, WW1 and WW2.