Members

Right backs at the WC

0 Not allowed!
    One of the most striking aspects of this tournament has been the quality of the right backs - not normally the most eye-catching of positions.

We've seen four excellent players in the semi-finalists: Trippier (who many think has been England's player of the tournament), Pavard, who has been superb throughout, Meunier, who was suspended for the semis and much missed and Vrsljko, who was one of Croatia's best players last night (as he has been all tournament).

Throw in the Russian Fernandes and the Brazilian Fagner (who was third choice for his country but looked pretty decent) and there's plenty of backs to choose from.

Am I alone in thinking this or is this a representation of the growing importance of full backs? (if so, why haven't the left backs haven't been quite so impressive?)Or is just a freak?
    Brevis esse laboro, obscurus fio

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

0 Not allowed!
      No, I'd agree with that. Trippier, Pavard and Meunier stood out. Not so sure I'd bring Fagner in, Caceres impressed me. I'm not sure I can think of any left backs that have shone at this tournament to the same extent.

0 Not allowed!
      Pavard is a funny one. He was a calamitous donkey in France's first two games - definitely the weak link. Then he scores a worldy and everyone loves him. True, his game improved after that, but I can't help feeling he is still France's Hercules Heel.
      The Albion Roar on Twitter
      New radio show on Radio Reverb 97.2FM - 'Move On Up'. Mod, soul, ska, Northern, jazz. Every other Saturday at 7pm
      The voice of reason. hans kraay fan club's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      One of the most striking aspects of this tournament has been the quality of the right backs - not normally the most eye-catching of positions.

We've seen four excellent players in the semi-finalists: Trippier (who many think has been England's player of the tournament), Pavard, who has been superb throughout, Meunier, who was suspended for the semis and much missed and Vrsljko, who was one of Croatia's best players last night (as he has been all tournament).

Throw in the Russian Fernandes and the Brazilian Fagner (who was third choice for his country but looked pretty decent) and there's plenty of backs to choose from.

Am I alone in thinking this or is this a representation of the growing importance of full backs? (if so, why haven't the left backs haven't been quite so impressive?)Or is just a freak?
      add in BRONN of Tunisia.
      The above post is simply my opinion. I am not bullying you, should it differ from your own.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Large One View Post
      Pavard is a funny one. He was a calamitous donkey in France's first two games - definitely the weak link. Then he scores a worldy and everyone loves him. True, his game improved after that, but I can't help feeling he is still France's Hercules Heel.
      Achilles?!

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
      Achilles?!
      Yeah, that too...
      The Albion Roar on Twitter
      New radio show on Radio Reverb 97.2FM - 'Move On Up'. Mod, soul, ska, Northern, jazz. Every other Saturday at 7pm
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Yes Vrsalko, Trippier and Fernandes the best 3 Right Backs

Laxalt the best LB for me
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
      No, I'd agree with that. Trippier, Pavard and Meunier stood out. Not so sure I'd bring Fagner in, Caceres impressed me. I'm not sure I can think of any left backs that have shone at this tournament to the same extent.
      Only mentioned Fagner because he was thrown into it after Dani Alves and Danilo were ruled out and people thought he'd be the weak link, but he did OK.
      Brevis esse laboro, obscurus fio