Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Strange thread in some ways. Most fans feel more affiliated to their club than their country. It has to do with being taken to see your local team by your dad when you were seven, standing on terraces in the pouring rain, travelling to Stoke on a Tuesday night, experiencing the highs and lows on a weekly basis. Feel gutted tonight but not much can compare to that gut-wrenching injustice at the Riverside.
    *JCL since 1976 - FA Cup final, replay and semi, two play-off finals, Hereford, three Championships, eight promotions, five relegations, four home stadiums*

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

0 Not allowed!
      be better in 2020 with back 3 of Stones, Maguire and Dunk

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by kevo View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Strange thread in some ways. Most fans feel more affiliated to their club than their country. It has to do with being taken to see your local team by your dad and standing on terraces in the pouring rain, experiencing the highs and lows on a weekly basis. Feel gutted tonight but not much can compare to that gut-wrenching injustice at the Riverside.
      During the second half I was saying to an Albion supporting mate in the pub that tonight feels like the boro game. Still feel gutted now, but already know that come a day or two it'll all feel very different to that game. The England 'wave' is always short lived (albeit lasting longer than normal this time and a far more positive finish despite disappointment) , emotions towards the Albion are a constant

8 Not allowed!
      We'll never have a better chance. Ever. With the Albion, whatever happens, we get a crack at it every year. EVERY year. Its all part of the rollercoaster.

But with England, you have to wait 4 years for a shot - and we've just been within 25 minutes of a World Cup Final, and absolutely blown it. Sorry, it doesn't mean the Albion mean any less to me, but I am fvcking devastated tonight. Casually shrug all you want if you say you don't really give a toss about England. But for only the 2nd time in my entire life, I had a fantastic chance of experiencing a World Cup Final as something other than a neutral. And for an hour tonight, I honestly, confidently thought I would. I honestly cannot relate to people who don't give a shit about that.

Gutted beyond gutted.
      "But you accept that there is an increased risk of vehicle/bat collision"
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      One of the gloomier things regarding England in World Cups is considering our own mortality in light of performances.

I was 19 in 1990, now I'm 47. Will I be 75 the next time England appear in a Semi-Final? And if not then...when?

If that's all too depressing, at least there'll be the Euro 2020 Semi-Finals and Final at Wembley.

Perhaps that'll our time...in our lifetime.
      "To be honest, I was holding out just for Brighton really. This is where I wanted to be."
      - Bobby Zamora, Tuesday 4th August 2015
      "It does not matter what league you are in, the goalposts don't move."
      - Glenn Murray, Sunday 4th March 2018

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Easy 10 View Post
      We'll never have a better chance. Ever. With the Albion, whatever happens, we get a crack at it every year. EVERY year. Its all part of the rollercoaster.

But with England, you have to wait 4 years for a shot - and we've just been within 25 minutes of a World Cup Final, and absolutely blown it. Sorry, it doesn't mean the Albion mean any less to me, but I am fvcking devastated tonight. Casually shrug all you want if you say you don't really give a toss about England. But for only the 2nd time in my entire life, I had a fantastic chance of experiencing a World Cup Final as something other than a neutral. And for an hour tonight, I honestly, confidently thought I would. I honestly cannot relate to people who don't give a shit about that.

Gutted beyond gutted.
      Agreed. This was a once-in-a-generation chance. After Sterling came off there was nobody to stretch the game and Croatia began to come at us in waves - maybe Mourinho was right about Rashford. And Harry Kane looked knackered, a living advertisement for the wisdom of a mid-season break. With him struggling, once again our only threat was from set plays. Croatia were nothing special, but we let them off the hook.
      Progressive Patriot clapham_gull's Avatar

1 Not allowed!

Gutted beyond gutted.
      Young inexperienced team get to a semi-final rather than a golden generation, many of which will use the defeat to announce their retirement.

They have been left hungry for more.

Head up and imagine Gareth is giving you a loving hug and telling you to look forward whilst perfectly respecting your personal space.

0 Not allowed!

Gutted beyond gutted.
      Exactly the same for me. Everyone talks about the World Cup, it's the biggest thing in football. I've never experienced a World Cup like this (I was only 6 in 1990) and I'm absolutely gutted it's all over for England.

With the Albion it's an ongoing ride with ups and downs all the way. I was gutted after the 'boro match but it was a different of gutted. I knew we'd get straight back up to have another crack at it. FOUR years is so far away, and it's going to be in Qatar FFS.
      Abso-bloody-exactly
      Pontypool (Not THAT Pontypool, the one with the zombies)

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
      Exactly the same for me. Everyone talks about the World Cup, it's the biggest thing in football. I've never experienced a World Cup like this (I was only 6 in 1990) and I'm absolutely gutted it's all over for England.

With the Albion it's an ongoing ride with ups and downs all the way. I was gutted after the 'boro match but it was a different of gutted. I knew we'd get straight back up to have another crack at it. FOUR years is so far away, and it's going to be in Qatar FFS.
      Nearly four and a half years. There will be people who don't make those extra few months. Screw FIFA.
      Daniel Ortega must go. Hero turned villain. Murderous scum.

0 Not allowed!
      A closer comparison would be Everton getting a last minute equaliser at the Amex last season! #clubbeforecountry