Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Losing to Croatia v Not beating those utter ***** Middlesbrough

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Strange thread in some ways. Most fans feel more affiliated to their club than their country. It has to do with being taken to see your local team by your dad when you were seven, standing on terraces in the pouring rain, travelling to Stoke on a Tuesday night, experiencing the highs and lows on a weekly basis. Feel gutted tonight but not much can compare to that gut-wrenching injustice at the Riverside.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Strange thread in some ways. Most fans feel more affiliated to their club than their country. It has to do with being taken to see your local team by your dad and standing on terraces in the pouring rain, experiencing the highs and lows on a weekly basis. Feel gutted tonight but not much can compare to that gut-wrenching injustice at the Riverside.

During the second half I was saying to an Albion supporting mate in the pub that tonight feels like the boro game. Still feel gutted now, but already know that come a day or two it'll all feel very different to that game. The England 'wave' is always short lived (albeit lasting longer than normal this time and a far more positive finish despite disappointment) , emotions towards the Albion are a constant

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
We'll never have a better chance. Ever. With the Albion, whatever happens, we get a crack at it every year. EVERY year. Its all part of the rollercoaster.

But with England, you have to wait 4 years for a shot - and we've just been within 25 minutes of a World Cup Final, and absolutely blown it. Sorry, it doesn't mean the Albion mean any less to me, but I am fvcking devastated tonight. Casually shrug all you want if you say you don't really give a toss about England. But for only the 2nd time in my entire life, I had a fantastic chance of experiencing a World Cup Final as something other than a neutral. And for an hour tonight, I honestly, confidently thought I would. I honestly cannot relate to people who don't give a shit about that.

Gutted beyond gutted.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
One of the gloomier things regarding England in World Cups is considering our own mortality in light of performances.

I was 19 in 1990, now I'm 47. Will I be 75 the next time England appear in a Semi-Final? And if not then...when?

If that's all too depressing, at least there'll be the Euro 2020 Semi-Finals and Final at Wembley.

Perhaps that'll our time...in our lifetime.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
We'll never have a better chance. Ever. With the Albion, whatever happens, we get a crack at it every year. EVERY year. Its all part of the rollercoaster.

But with England, you have to wait 4 years for a shot - and we've just been within 25 minutes of a World Cup Final, and absolutely blown it. Sorry, it doesn't mean the Albion mean any less to me, but I am fvcking devastated tonight. Casually shrug all you want if you say you don't really give a toss about England. But for only the 2nd time in my entire life, I had a fantastic chance of experiencing a World Cup Final as something other than a neutral. And for an hour tonight, I honestly, confidently thought I would. I honestly cannot relate to people who don't give a shit about that.

Gutted beyond gutted.

Agreed. This was a once-in-a-generation chance. After Sterling came off there was nobody to stretch the game and Croatia began to come at us in waves - maybe Mourinho was right about Rashford. And Harry Kane looked knackered, a living advertisement for the wisdom of a mid-season break. With him struggling, once again our only threat was from set plays. Croatia were nothing special, but we let them off the hook.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Gutted beyond gutted.

Young inexperienced team get to a semi-final rather than a golden generation, many of which will use the defeat to announce their retirement.

They have been left hungry for more.

Head up and imagine Gareth is giving you a loving hug and telling you to look forward whilst perfectly respecting your personal space.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

Gutted beyond gutted.

Exactly the same for me. Everyone talks about the World Cup, it's the biggest thing in football. I've never experienced a World Cup like this (I was only 6 in 1990) and I'm absolutely gutted it's all over for England.

With the Albion it's an ongoing ride with ups and downs all the way. I was gutted after the 'boro match but it was a different of gutted. I knew we'd get straight back up to have another crack at it. FOUR years is so far away, and it's going to be in Qatar FFS.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Exactly the same for me. Everyone talks about the World Cup, it's the biggest thing in football. I've never experienced a World Cup like this (I was only 6 in 1990) and I'm absolutely gutted it's all over for England.

With the Albion it's an ongoing ride with ups and downs all the way. I was gutted after the 'boro match but it was a different of gutted. I knew we'd get straight back up to have another crack at it. FOUR years is so far away, and it's going to be in Qatar FFS.

Nearly four and a half years. There will be people who don't make those extra few months. Screw FIFA.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I still get angry about Boro.

Can’t fault what happened last night - best team won. No need to get down, 3rd best World Cup ever!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Years back I'd have felt pain, anguish and a terrible gnawing feeling that wouldn't have gone away for weeks. After Italia 90 and Euro 96, I was completely devastated. However, the attitude of some of our prima donnas in past campaigns and their poor displays, has somehow caused the care to leech away. I don't feel bad this morning at all. This England team has restored my pride in the national team and I am very disappointed they lost. But the Middlesbrough game? No, that ruined my summer and Autumn.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I didn't expect us to win the Middlesbrough game, but it was the injustice of it all that still rankles today. Last night I did expect to win, but the second half got very hard for us and just wish we could have seen it over the line. I'm feeling fairly calm today, disappointed but not angry or upset. But as others have said, if not now, when? What is it actually like to get to a WC final? Are we ever going to experience that? I was 16 in 1990, and I can't get my head round the idea that 1990 was closer to '66 than to today.

But here's my confident prediction. That side last night will provide many players for the England team for years to come, but the real stars will be the likes of Phil Foden and others from the U18 / U20 starlets. There is a lot of special talent coming through.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
England losing is no where near as gutting at all those play off semi final defeats or Boro.

Likewise if England won the world cup ever again it would never be as good as Wigan at home

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Not quite, as the Turkish referee didn't get a lot wrong tonight.

I think we will learn from this and get stronger, so there is that analogy.

I hope so. After Middlesborough and then the play-off defeat I really thought we'd blown our chance to get into the PL. I thought that the traditional 'big' teams would rebuild and wouldn't be so bad again, and consequently we'd have to settle for being a good 2nd tier club. Obviously I was wrong. Hopefully we (England) will get stronger and we won't live to regret the fact that at this World Cup the cards got dealt in our favour but we couldn't find a winning hand.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Years back I'd have felt pain, anguish and a terrible gnawing feeling that wouldn't have gone away for weeks. After Italia 90 and Euro 96, I was completely devastated. However, the attitude of some of our prima donnas in past campaigns and their poor displays, has somehow caused the care to leech away. I don't feel bad this morning at all. This England team has restored my pride in the national team and I am very disappointed they lost. But the Middlesbrough game? No, that ruined my summer and Autumn.

This. No tears or hurt last night like Italia 90 or Euro 96 - just pride, unexpected pride - we've equalled the best we've ever done since 1966, couldn't have done anymore and the best team won. Unlike in Italia 90, we're currently World U 17 & U 20 Champions and something is genuinely happening in our national team, there wont be retirements and changes ending up with Carlton Palmer and Andy Sinton in the starting XI in 2 years time this time.

Hold your head up high this morning, we're English and it feels good. One way or the other, I haven't felt that for a while.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here