Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 83
  1. #51
    Captain Hindsight TSB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Lansdowne Place, Hove
    Posts
    15,967


    0 Not allowed!
    Devastated by The Complete And Utter Shyster.
    Couldn't give a **** about England.
    Ashley Barnes Fan numero UNO http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...s_1974553c.jpg
    Every single second, someone starts a thread on Glenn Murray. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5...

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #52
      On the BHA rollercoaster Icy Gull's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Posts
      45,004


      0 Not allowed!
      I was upset for weeks about the Boro game. I am already over the England game. No comparison for me

      I was more pissed off with the way the ref didn’t bother to book the Croatian players body checking the England players in the first half. Lovrens especially. Other than that the better team over 120 mins won and we did way better than I expected at the start. In fact I really enjoyed our performances until half time yesterday.
      Last edited by Icy Gull; 12-07-2018 at 08:26.
      Show me a good loser and I will show you a loser - Toto Wolff
    • #53
      Chrissy Hughton Fanboy Guinness Boy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
      Posts
      12,739


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Easy 10 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      We'll never have a better chance. Ever. With the Albion, whatever happens, we get a crack at it every year. EVERY year. Its all part of the rollercoaster.

      But with England, you have to wait 4 years for a shot - and we've just been within 25 minutes of a World Cup Final, and absolutely blown it. Sorry, it doesn't mean the Albion mean any less to me, but I am fvcking devastated tonight. Casually shrug all you want if you say you don't really give a toss about England. But for only the 2nd time in my entire life, I had a fantastic chance of experiencing a World Cup Final as something other than a neutral. And for an hour tonight, I honestly, confidently thought I would. I honestly cannot relate to people who don't give a shit about that.

      Gutted beyond gutted.
      The two things felt quite different to me. I wouldn't say gutted about England so much as now being resigned to us never, ever doing it. This was our "Leicester winning the Premier League" chance. We weren't the best side in the tournament and no one expected us to win it at the start - in fact no one expected us to get to the semis. But all the big teams with the exception of France imploded at the same time, we had a favourable draw and managed to make the most of very limited means (essentially a bit of pace and some decent attacking set plays).

      We kept only one clean sheet, failed to beat a poor Colombia in 90 minutes and lost to Belguim reserves. If it wasn't for all the "it's coming home" and waistcoat nonsense people would have been saying same old England.

      Compare that to Boro where we failed to get promotion by one goal. ONE. Where we were diddled out of it by astonishingly poor refereeing. Where 89 effing points wasn't enough. And I was there and I had to walk back to the station through their banned goons and talk to a massively gutted Tony Bloom at Kings Cross.

      Yes, we got another go the next season. Yes, England won't get another one for four years, and that will be a farce of a tournament in the middle of winter in a place that shouldn't even sell footballs. Yes England will never have a better chance. But France must have been watching last night and alternating between gales of laughter and licking their lips. No way were we good enough. The truth told in the end and I expected nothing else TBH.
      Brighton But Only At Home

      It's a blog. About home games. And some other stuff.
    • #54
      Members
      Join Date
      May 2008
      Posts
      1,384


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by dig54 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Tonight is worse for me because I just don't think I'll ever see England win a World Cup in my life time. Plus you have to wait 4 years to get another crack.

      I always thought we'd go up to the prem at some point, so although the middlesborough game was a joke, we didn't have to wait too long until we got what we wanted...
      So 20 years ago in the middle of all the struggles you seriously thought when we were 90 minutes away from going out of the league and existence as a team, or playing home games at Gillingham that we would make the prem?
    • #55
      Members
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Posts
      16,183


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Bolt View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      There seems to be a theme that we only got to the semi finals because we faced easy teams. I think that is doing England & Sothgate a big disservice. When it gets to the knockout stages, anything can happen.
      Oh I agree. And we've both seen England lose (or fail to win) 'easy' games in the past. Many many times. And although it's true we did get the 'easier' ride than we did in say 1966 (Mexico, Uruguay, France, Argentina and Portugal), you still have to actually win the games.

      However I was more concerned with the relative strength of the traditional big teams. Argentina and Germany were shadows of their previous selves. Italy and Holland didn't even qualify. Will the big teams be so (relatively) weak at the same time again? Was this the 'right' tournament at the 'wrong' time in our development?

    • #56
      I'll look after the skirt Pinkie Brown's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2007
      Location
      At the end of the Pier
      Posts
      2,757


      0 Not allowed!
      Not remotely comparable for me. Devastated by the Middlesbrough result & injustice of how it occured with help from their 12th man; Dean. England result? The Alan Partridge gif about sums it for me.
      Why take up crime when there are legal ways of being dishonest.
    • #57
      You can change this Bozza's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Back in Sussex
      Posts
      40,333


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Easy 10 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      We'll never have a better chance. Ever. With the Albion, whatever happens, we get a crack at it every year. EVERY year. Its all part of the rollercoaster.

      But with England, you have to wait 4 years for a shot - and we've just been within 25 minutes of a World Cup Final, and absolutely blown it. Sorry, it doesn't mean the Albion mean any less to me, but I am fvcking devastated tonight. Casually shrug all you want if you say you don't really give a toss about England. But for only the 2nd time in my entire life, I had a fantastic chance of experiencing a World Cup Final as something other than a neutral. And for an hour tonight, I honestly, confidently thought I would. I honestly cannot relate to people who don't give a shit about that.

      Gutted beyond gutted.
      Not dissimilar to how I was trying to describe my melancholy disposition last night.

      I'm 46. England have had three decent cracks at tournaments in my lifetime, so once every 15 years or 7-8 tournaments, give or take, and this was arguably the best chance of those three. When will the next good chance be? How many more times will I see England get to the last four?

      Re: Boro - I hated that day for many reasons. I guess how I view that day may now have mellowed somewhat as it ultimately became part of the overall journey we were on, and I now know there was a happy ending to the story.
    • #58
      Members
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Worthing
      Posts
      1,638


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Feels about the same for me. How about you?
      Nowhere near the same - I’m over last night already but Boro was a killer
    • #59
      Members
      Join Date
      Jul 2013
      Posts
      1,779


      0 Not allowed!
      The journey back from Boro was far longer than my journey back last night, so for that reason alone, Boro was the worst!
    • #60
      Members Meade's Ball's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Hither (sometimes Thither)
      Posts
      12,877


      0 Not allowed!
      I keep being offered commiserations by a number of colleagues this morning, and I accept them, mixed with a slightly dumbfounded feeling. I'd rather England had won, but I have little emotional attachment to the England team. Nothing like that with the Albion and their endeavours.
      I imagine the sympathy will come toward me during the day, whilst I sit a tad baffled, thinking at first that the Albion have lost a pre-season friendly without me noticing.
      Milk, milk, lemonade
      Round the corner chocolate's made

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •