Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Pride in your country

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I don’t actually disagree with you and mentioned political devolution earlier in the thread, but Euro96 was massive, and first time we saw the nation flooded with the SGC, a year before Blair was elected; so not a minor detail.

I take the point, as this thread highlights the union flag was the symbol of choice for football fans historically. The same flag back in the 80s and 90s that was always connected to far right shenanigans and English hooligans.

In 96 the SGC was an acceptable alternative to the new fans etc. so at that point it was acceptable and ubiquitous as the English fans symbol of choice.

It has since now become associated with far right shenanigans and English hooligans.

It wouldnt matter if the flag was a blue teapot on a yellow field with pink spots some people just have a problem with nationalism and English nationalism in particular. The rise of English nationalism per se is a consequence of devolution and recent waves of immigration.

Plus ca change.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I take the point, as this thread highlights the union flag was the symbol of choice for football fans historically. The same flag back in the 80s and 90s that was always connected to far right shenanigans and English hooligans.

In 96 the SGC was an acceptable alternative to the new fans etc. so at that point it was acceptable and ubiquitous as the English fans symbol of choice.

It has since now become associated with far right shenanigans and English hooligans.

It wouldnt matter if the flag was a blue teapot on a yellow field with pink spots some people just have a problem with nationalism and English nationalism in particular. The rise of English nationalism per se is a consequence of devolution and recent waves of immigration.

Plus ca change.

I very much embrace patriotism. Nationalism is something else.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I feel proud that we did so well. It makes me angry that that Adrian Durham is downing the whole team and blaming it on the Spurs players and fans. \I dislike that man.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
I think the pride in the country, the pride in the flag, and the unity felt have been an ENORMOUS bonus from all of this.

I'm sick and tired of the St. Georges cross, and any pride in our nation being taken as meaning you are some sort of right wing, EDL, Tommy Robinson nutter. Phrases like "little englander" drive me insane.

To be a proud Englishman, to display a St. Georges cross, should not automatically make people think of racism and xenophobia, but that is where we are at times. This World Cup has brought back a completely different feel. Forget politicians rowing about this that and the other it is GARETH SOUTHGATE and his united band of humble, classy individuals who have worked fantastically as a team, that has delivered this sea change.

Long may it last.
This, this and more this.

I think the 2012 Olympics brought back the Union Jack, and I hope this World Cup brings back the St. George's Cross. Genuinely grinned from ear to ear whenever I saw it flying from houses, rattling on cars or painted on faces during the tournament.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I very much embrace patriotism. Nationalism is something else.

Fair enough but the fact is that patriotism and nationalism are two cheeks of the same arse. The reason why pre tournament many liberal minded progressive types didnt care for the England team is because deep down they dont want a lightening rod for English patriotism or nationalism. These people dont believe in nation states and national sovereigty because they are globalists.

They would rather England lost, or got “thrashed” to quote at Guardian columnist’s tweet before the Columbia game. These people hate England and English people, whether or not they had a union flag Sor a teapot flag. They wrap their hatred in the faux sllegation of the far right snd hooliganism, they are liars.......they just hate England.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I heard of a girl in Hove wearing a Croatia shirt getting punched in the face last night, sad that the knuckle-draggers are still around.

Pretty sad that it comes as no surprise too

But no evidence to support any of this rumour mongering? Maybe just someone wanting to put a downer on things perhaps?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
But no evidence to support any of this rumour mongering? Maybe just someone wanting to put a downer on things perhaps?
I can tell you that one of my friends, who lives in Hove, had a young girl sitting on her front wall crying her eyes out. Friend went out to help and was told she had been punched in the face in a local pub for wearing a Croatia shirt. If that's not enough for you then tough.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Fair enough but the fact is that patriotism and nationalism are two cheeks of the same arse. The reason why pre tournament many liberal minded progressive types didnt care for the England team is because deep down they dont want a lightening rod for English patriotism or nationalism. These people dont believe in nation states and national sovereigty because they are globalists.

They would rather England lost, or got “thrashed” to quote at Guardian columnist’s tweet before the Columbia game. These people hate England and English people, whether or not they had a union flag Sor a teapot flag. They wrap their hatred in the faux sllegation of the far right snd hooliganism, they are liars.......they just hate England.

I have never met a single person like the one you describe. You can find one example of anything, people who drink their own wee, people who think that the world is flat....it isn't justifcation for outrage. Perhaps you should stop reading the Guardian......:shrug:

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I can tell you that one of my friends, who lives in Hove, had a young girl sitting on her front wall crying her eyes out. Friend went out to help and was told she had been punched in the face in a local pub for wearing a Croatia shirt. If that's not enough for you then tough.

Did you ever notice that people use the term "friendly" for non-cup competitions. But in cup competitions the "friendly" goes out the door and it's all about hating the competition--binning the IKEA store, punching Croatian young girls in the face in pubs, ugly scene after ugly scene, etc.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

Sadly a-holes like that do exist in our society, always have, and I fear always will. Do you honestly think they are a rational, and reasonable human being the rest of the time and only snap at the sight of the wrong football shirt? No, they are a-holes, day in, day out, looking for an excuse to descend into the violent knuckle-dragger they are. Whether that is at an anti-capitalist march, pro Tommy Robinson, ant-Tommy Robinson, pro-leave, anti-Brexit .... I doubt they care what "event" they have joined in on, they are just that horrible, dangerous, nasty person whether football is on the telly and flags of St George are out or not.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Sadly a-holes like that do exist in our society, always have, and I fear always will. Do you honestly think they are a rational, and reasonable human being the rest of the time and only snap at the sight of the wrong football shirt? No, they are a-holes, day in, day out, looking for an excuse to descend into the violent knuckle-dragger they are. Whether that is at an anti-capitalist march, pro Tommy Robinson, ant-Tommy Robinson, pro-leave, anti-Brexit .... I doubt they care what "event" they have joined in on, they are just that horrible, dangerous, nasty person whether football is on the telly and flags of St George are out or not.

yep...they're everywhere the prisons are so full of them they let most of them go .........seems to me we are back to the 70's with more tattoos , bigger blokes and fitter birds.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Just popped out for a smoke and saw a young girl (3/4) walking down the road enthusiastically waving an England flag; she just wouldn't let go of it!

A joy to behold!

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I am not a nationalistic person, the world is a big place carved up by politics not always for mankind's good... in my view anywag.

I shout as loud as anyone for England at football though. They are my team , just like the Albion are my team. For me it is a football thing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here