Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Members

Pride in your country

9 Not allowed!
    England at the World Cup has achieved something in the last 2 weeks that any politician could only dream of, it has united people who have different views. Just for a short while it has felt like a joined country. Not ashamed to have an identity but proud of it.

Some football fan 'snobs' got all upset about non-football bods jumping on the bandwagon, the more the merrier I thought, it was driving the momentum.

Back to the usual bollocks now then I suppose.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Get where you are coming from.

10 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Milano View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      England at the World Cup has achieved something in the last 2 weeks that any politician could only dream of, it has united people who have different views. Just for a short while it has felt like a joined country. Not ashamed to have an identity but proud of it.

Some football fan 'snobs' got all upset about non-football bods jumping on the bandwagon, the more the merrier I thought, it was driving the momentum.

Back to the usual bollocks now then I suppose.
      I thought it was an Ambulance?
      Weather forecast for tonight: dark.

15 Not allowed!
      I think the pride in the country, the pride in the flag, and the unity felt have been an ENORMOUS bonus from all of this.

I'm sick and tired of the St. Georges cross, and any pride in our nation being taken as meaning you are some sort of right wing, EDL, Tommy Robinson nutter. Phrases like "little englander" drive me insane.

To be a proud Englishman, to display a St. Georges cross, should not automatically make people think of racism and xenophobia, but that is where we are at times. This World Cup has brought back a completely different feel. Forget politicians rowing about this that and the other it is GARETH SOUTHGATE and his united band of humble, classy individuals who have worked fantastically as a team, that has delivered this sea change.

Long may it last.
      "I looked straight across to Graham Turner and their whole bench was in tears."

7 Not allowed!
      No tears or hurt last night like Italia 90 or Euro 96 - just pride, unexpected pride - we've equalled the best we've ever done since 1966, couldn't have done anymore and the best team won. Unlike in Italia 90, we're currently World U 17 & U 20 Champions and something is genuinely happening in our national team, there wont be retirements and changes ending up with Carlton Palmer and Andy Sinton in the starting XI in 2 years time this time.

Hold your head up high this morning, we're English and it feels good. One way or the other, I haven't felt that for a while.
      Each to his choice, and I rejoice the lot has fallen to me
      In a fair ground-in a fair ground -
      Yea, Sussex by the sea!

0 Not allowed!
      Gareth for Prime Minister, could do a job as often stated on this board and he can't be worse than present group of leaders.

3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Wardy's twin View Post
      Gareth for Prime Minister, could do a job as often stated on this board and he can't be worse than present group of leaders.
      Back in Europe by 2020, that's a yes from me.
      “Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling.” James E Starrs
      Rarely serious, frequently taken seriously.

Members

4 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gritt23 View Post
      I think the pride in the country, the pride in the flag, and the unity felt have been an ENORMOUS bonus from all of this.

I'm sick and tired of the St. Georges cross, and any pride in our nation being taken as meaning you are some sort of right wing, EDL, Tommy Robinson nutter. Phrases like "little englander" drive me insane.

To be a proud Englishman, to display a St. Georges cross, should not automatically make people think of racism and xenophobia, but that is where we are at times. This World Cup has brought back a completely different feel. Forget politicians rowing about this that and the other it is GARETH SOUTHGATE and his united band of humble, classy individuals who have worked fantastically as a team, that has delivered this sea change.

Long may it last.
      Strange isn't it, the only way to reclaim the cross from the right is for a bit of shared unity. It's always interesting to see all the footage and photos of '66 not a St George's Cross in sight, only Union Flags. We're a confused old country really.

4 Not allowed!
      I think the saddest thing I've seen in this tournament was the guy who lives across the road from me taking down all his England flags outside his house one minute after we lost the game. Choked me up, that did.
      "I am repeatedly a fan of his braggish self-assurance. No point, that I can remember, has he ever been foolish or incorrect. All based on scientific, biblical fact. He's a vivid sermoniser whose halo sometimes burns those who dare to question."

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bold Seagull View Post
      Strange isn't it, the only way to reclaim the cross from the right is for a bit of shared unity. It's always interesting to see all the footage and photos of '66 not a St George's Cross in sight, only Union Flags. We're a confused old country really.
      Yes, it was all union flags, and the game was often referred to as soccer ... things change, things move on. Personally, I think in '66 we either didn't have so much opposition of our team from Scotland or Wales, or perhaps we English didn't realise it.
      "I looked straight across to Graham Turner and their whole bench was in tears."