Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England's 'Player of the World Cup'...?

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Welbeck. Played a huge role in England's progress. Coming on against Belgium when we were chasing the game ensured second place. Whether England would have progressed to the semi final on the other side of the draw is very questionable. Arise Sir Danny. :bowdown:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Maguire for me. I thought he was a big lump but he really impressed (Pickford and Trippier not far behind though).

Disappointed with Kane, a bit of a flat-track bully - scored against a couple of pub teams but did nothing against half-decent opposition (apart from one penalty).

Gary Neville said he wouldn't be surprised to hear that Kane had been carrying an injury for the last couple of games. The way he was being tackled, and mauled by other teams, it would be feasible.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Welbeck. Played a huge role in England's progress. Coming on against Belgium when we were chasing the game ensured second place. Whether England would have progressed to the semi final on the other side of the draw is very questionable. Arise Sir Danny. :bowdown:

With an honourary mention to Phil Jones.

If he hadn’t reminded Southgate in the warm ups (and Belgium game), as to what a defensive liability he is, he might have been in our first 11 leading to our early WC exit.

Great work Phil Jones.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Pickford, Trippier, Maguire and Henderson. The latter because I didn't rate him pre-tournament and was impressed that he stepped up. Clearly knackered though.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Way above expected

Pickford, Trippier, Maguire

A bit above expected

Kane, Lingard

About par

Henderson, Young, Stones, Walker

A bit disappointing

Sterling, Alli

Rubbish

Nobody

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Surprised Trig hasn't intervened yet.Surely we have the third place game to go yet?Up until the Croatia game Walker my outstanding player,but he should have been subbed in that one-think he was injured.Happiest player Sterling,despite all the slagging off kept smiling on the field.Wish Southgate had mixed up the playing selection a bit more,but he's the boss now for a while,hopefully.Overall a big :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Pickford, Trippier, Maguire and Henderson. The latter because I didn't rate him pre-tournament and was impressed that he stepped up. Clearly knackered though.

Good job done by Henderson. At the moment, he’s the only one of that defensive CM ilk with the pace to get around for 120 minutes if need be, working his socks off to close down the creative talents of opposing CM’s.

Dier can do it, but he showed he’s a big old unit without the mobility. At Spurs, Poch doubles up with Wanyama or Dembele beside him as extra DM insurance.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Diego-Maradona-Football365.jpg

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
I am not surprised Trippier has stepped up to the mark for England despite being "almost criminally" wasted by Spurs.

Three full seasons and only 42 Premier League games out of a possible 114 (about 35%). And he has had no long-term injury. At first, it was Walker who kept him out, but even now Pochettino rotates Trippier with Serge Aurier.

His release clause was only £3.5 million, so I was surprised none of the major northern teams (Man C, Man U, Liverpool, Everton) came in for him after Burnley were relegated in 2014/15.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Those three, clearly, but I'd also add Stones, Young, Henderson and Lingard to the mix, all of the unsung heroes have played well. Kane and Alli I guess are the two who ultimately could have done more.

Agreed. Despite great promise, Ali has not progressed as hoped.
We really need a midfielder who can run the game and on this tournament, he isn't the one.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here