Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England's 'Player of the World Cup'...?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Maguire for me. I thought he was a big lump but he really impressed (Pickford and Trippier not far behind though).

Disappointed with Kane, a bit of a flat-track bully - scored against a couple of pub teams but did nothing against half-decent opposition (apart from one penalty).

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Trippier.

He deserves to be included in the team of the tournament.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Has to be Trippier. Excellent from the first whistle of the first game.

Henderson too has had a very good tournament. Held the midfield together for five and a half games. Not much he could do once Croatia's got going.

Pickford really grew into the tournament - positive, dominant, some very good saves and great distribution.

Maguire also grew into the tournament. He looked shaky and nervous in the first half against Tunisia but got better with each game.

Stones played about as well as he can. Mostly solid defending with the odd lapse, quality with the ball at his feet.

I was impressed with Lingard as well.

There were lots of positives from the tournament and I think reason to believe that this team will get better. We could do with developing some actual midfielders though. It's not realistic to expect a midfield with only one proper midfielder in it to compete against the top teams/midfields.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Disappointed with Kane, a bit of a flat-track bully - scored against a couple of pub teams but did nothing against half-decent opposition (apart from one penalty).

I think that's a bit harsh. I thought he played well against Colombia and Sweden and did ok (apart from his errant finishing) in the first half against Croatia.

The way we are set up we have two players in midfield who aren't real midfielders. Alli and Lingard are in there for their attacking play and making use of space. Kane spent a lot of time dropping deep to a) make that space for them and b) pick up the ball to link up play. He also started a lot of our attacks and won a crap load of free kicks.

He disappeared in the second half against Croatia at least partly because we lost any semblance of control in midfield. The style of play that we'd shown in the previous five and a half game was lost as we couldn't get/keep the ball in the middle of the pitch so ended up pumping a lot of long balls.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
They have all done a great job,but if i had to choose it would be Pickford
Superb performance in a role that is under immense pressure, probably more than any other position............he handled it brilliantly.
well done chap

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
1) Pickford 1) Trippier 3) Maguire for me but nothing in it between first 2 but if i had to make an absolute decision it would be Pickford

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's been Trippier all tournament, by a country mile.

Stones and Pickford make up the top 3.
Everyone else has had their moments.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Trippier for me, he'll be at Real Madrid soon enough I reckon. What a player.

But there hasn't been a single one of them who has let the country down in any way. They've all given the country their pride back.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here