Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 1990 v 2018

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
How ever many threads you keep 'just saying' this 'two shots on target' stat, it will still not be true.

Unless Trippier's free kick wasn't 'on target'? Or Kane's powder puff shot, when Sterling had an open goal? Or Stone's header cleared off the line? Off the top of my head.

Alright, Alright I will give you Stone's header that was cleared off the line. 3 shots then I stand corrected, but that was it.:rolleyes:

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
To start of with, two statements.

Have enjoyed the world cup and ride with the England team.

We got what we deserved and the better team won.

Now I've followed England for decades. I don't know how others feel but this defeat pales in comparison to how I felt when we lost in 1990. Possible because we lost to the arch rivals then but probably more because we had a team that we thought could genuinely win it. Think most pundits were of the opinion that the winners of our semi would beat either of the other two semi-finalist. Today, we were in the semi final having beaten no one of significance but, to be fair, that is the luck of the draw. I hoped, but had no high expectation, of success and because of that I don't feel as disheartened as I did 28 years ago.

My thoughts on individuals :-

Sterling - Despite what so called amateur experts say, he contributes very little yet again. Would prefer to see him as an impact sub and give Rashford a starting chance.
Southgate - Got the job by default and not because of some grand plan by the FA. That said, there is promise so let's see how he gets on in the Euro's qualifiers and hopefully the final tournament.
Pickford - Deservedly now considered England's No. 1.
Trippier - One of the star performers, the only black mark being he's from Burnley (well Bury is close enough!)
Midfield - We lack a star player, quality to go round players or someone to find a killer pass. Lingard and Ali still young enough to improve.

So, to sum up, looking forward to the final of Wimbledon!!!

Trippier is from Ramsbottom (near Bury) and is a big Man United fan. But he enjoyed his 4 seasons at Burnley and it would not surprise me if he returns to Turf Moor when he is 32/33 . One of his rare goals was at the Amex when Burnley won 1-0 against nine-man Brighton.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Mirrored here. Was devastated in 1990 (21), this one is borderline 'meh.' Maybe it's an age thing.

Same here. A lot has happened in my life since 1990 and certain disappointments get put into perspective. I’ll throw In I thought we we extremely average most of the tournament as we were in 1990 as well , apart from the semi final.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
I was 20 in 1990, wow it was fun. I was gutted but when you are young you are optimistic, many a World Cup to come. Now I am 48 less gutted I have got used to the pain, the scary thing is that 4 years feels like a long way away, but it will come round all too soon.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
To start of with, two statements.

Have enjoyed the world cup and ride with the England team.

We got what we deserved and the better team won.

Now I've followed England for decades. I don't know how others feel but this defeat pales in comparison to how I felt when we lost in 1990. Possible because we lost to the arch rivals then but probably more because we had a team that we thought could genuinely win it. Think most pundits were of the opinion that the winners of our semi would beat either of the other two semi-finalist. Today, we were in the semi final having beaten no one of significance but, to be fair, that is the luck of the draw. I hoped, but had no high expectation, of success and because of that I don't feel as disheartened as I did 28 years ago.

My thoughts on individuals :-

Sterling - Despite what so called amateur experts say, he contributes very little yet again. Would prefer to see him as an impact sub and give Rashford a starting chance.
Southgate - Got the job by default and not because of some grand plan by the FA. That said, there is promise so let's see how he gets on in the Euro's qualifiers and hopefully the final tournament.
Pickford - Deservedly now considered England's No. 1.
Trippier - One of the star performers, the only black mark being he's from Burnley (well Bury is close enough!)
Midfield - We lack a star player, quality to go round players or someone to find a killer pass. Lingard and Ali still young enough to improve.

So, to sum up, looking forward to the final of Wimbledon!!!

What? I mean, seriously, what? This statement has got to be one of the biggest piles of turd I’ve read on here for so so many reasons.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I've often found people look through rose tinted specs when remembering the 1990 tournament. Italia 90 as a whole was pretty abysmal football wise: Argentina kicked their way to the final, Brazil had one of their most mediocre squads ever, the Dutch who had been brilliant at Euro 88 were riven by infighting and debilitating injury to their major stars, the Italians under too much pressure from their home fans. It is still the lowest scoring Finals ever and led to FIFA instituting major reforms that make up our modern game today.

With England too many people remember how it ended not the journey itself through the tournament: that horrible game against the Irish, scraping past the Egyptians, a decent draw against a disappointing Dutch side (Who failed to win any of their four games), the luck against the Belgians - they hit the post twice during normal time, and just about overcoming Cameroon in the quarters. Robson seemed to do the usual visualise a team built round the injury prone Bryan Robson then get forced into changes either through injury or the by players themselves. Platt only started for the first time against Cameroon. I always got the sense that it was a rollercoaster ride where the trucks could hurtle of the tracks at any moment. However, what we did have was Paul Gascoigne, the one player whose type was desperately missing in the 2018 vintage - when the Croatians began pressing our defence we had nobody in midfield to put their foot on the ball and dictate play.

In contrast the 2018 team was settled, had a system that all players brought into (This never happened with Robson who seemed to find his best combinations at tournaments often by accident - see Mexico 1986), and we played as a unit, utilising our strengths - set pieces, and tried to pass it quickly and incisively. We've often produced teams from 1990 onwards that seemed to be ponderous in possession who sometimes saw the ball as a hot potato, this lot were comfortable with the ball at their feet. What is more it is a young team (Except ironically Ashley Young) who will be back more or less with the same personnel for Euro 2020 and Qatar 2022. Italia 1990 was a last hurrah for a number players which we failed to build on for the following World Cup which we failed to qualify from.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I've often found people look through rose tinted specs when remembering the 1990 tournament. Italia 90 as a whole was pretty abysmal football wise: Argentina kicked their way to the final, Brazil had one of their most mediocre squads ever, the Dutch who had been brilliant at Euro 88 were riven by infighting and debilitating injury to their major stars, the Italians under too much pressure from their home fans. It is still the lowest scoring Finals ever and led to FIFA instituting major reforms that make up our modern game today.

With England too many people remember how it ended not the journey itself through the tournament: that horrible game against the Irish, scraping past the Egyptians, a decent draw against a disappointing Dutch side (Who failed to win any of their four games), the luck against the Belgians - they hit the post twice during normal time, and just about overcoming Cameroon in the quarters. Robson seemed to do the usual visualise a team built round the injury prone Bryan Robson then get forced into changes either through injury or the by players themselves. Platt only started for the first time against Cameroon. I always got the sense that it was a rollercoaster ride where the trucks could hurtle of the tracks at any moment. However, what we did have was Paul Gascoigne, the one player whose type was desperately missing in the 2018 vintage - when the Croatians began pressing our defence we had nobody in midfield to put their foot on the ball and dictate play.

In contrast the 2018 team was settled, had a system that all players brought into (This never happened with Robson who seemed to find his best combinations at tournaments often by accident - see Mexico 1986), and we played as a unit, utilising our strengths - set pieces, and tried to pass it quickly and incisively. We've often produced teams from 1990 onwards that seemed to be ponderous in possession who sometimes saw the ball as a hot potato, this lot were comfortable with the ball at their feet. What is more it is a young team (Except ironically Ashley Young) who will be back more or less with the same personnel for Euro 2020 and Qatar 2022. Italia 1990 was a last hurrah for a number players which we failed to build on for the following World Cup which we failed to qualify from.

Possibly fair analysis but whatever is said about 2018 we didn't really come up against any quality. That said the fact of getting to the semi and the youth of the team bodes well for the Euros and, hopefully, Qatar.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
One of the big differences is that the performance by England in the 1990 semi-final was superb (probably the best I've ever seen an England team play). Sadly the same cannot be said about last night.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
1990 was far more painful than now. Then we started slow and built up the football and excitement as it progressed.
Do not forget that we did not even start in mainland Italy, but were consigned, Napoleon-like, to the island of Sardinia. So the authorities hoped that we would be eliminated there and prevent the English 'hooligan' fans even reaching the real Italy. Just hearing Nessun Dorma brings it all back to me - with almost a similar reaction as the word 'Hereford'. 'World in Motion' was the song of hope for 4 weeks, then Nessun Dorma was the requiem.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here