Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: 1990 v 2018

Members

0 Not allowed!
    Losing in the semi is less important to me now. Partly it’s being 42 and less hormonal than I was in 1990. Partly because I haven’t stuck up for England through thick and thin like I should have. Partly because I never really thought we would beat France in the final.

No blame attached to Shilton for the deflected free kick against W Germany. He couldn’t have anticipated that. He looked his age in the pens though.

This Sterling debate has turned Rashford into either a genius or a donkey, depending on which side of it you’ve nailed your colours to. If you want to find a passage of play to re-inforce your opinion, one way or the other, you’ll find one.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mellotron View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      We lost any hint of creative spark the second Sterling was taken off. Never looked like scoring or getting behind them after that.
      That highlights out lack of quality rather than we need Sterling. Yes he causes defenders problems, but not goalkeepers. Michael Owen was terrifyingly quick AND scored goals early on. When he lost his pace, as Sterling soon will, he was still able to score goals. Sterling will then be like a Turkey in the 1st week of Jan ie feeling extremely lucky but essentially unwanted.
      "Never miss a good chance to shut up"

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Berty23 View Post
      Someone slating sterling again? How much threat did we pose when he went off? I am a huge rashford fan but he was awful tonight.
      Not slating Sterling, but how much threat did we really pose when he was on the pitch? 2 shots on target, just saying.
      Weather forecast for tonight: dark.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by blue-shifted View Post
      Losing in the semi is less important to me now. Partly it’s being 42 and less hormonal than I was in 1990. Partly because I haven’t stuck up for England through thick and thin like I should have. Partly because I never really thought we would beat France in the final.

No blame attached to Shilton for the deflected free kick against W Germany. He couldn’t have anticipated that. He looked his age in the pens though.

This Sterling debate has turned Rashford into either a genius or a donkey, depending on which side of it you’ve nailed your colours to. If you want to find a passage of play to re-inforce your opinion, one way or the other, you’ll find one.
      Very good post, spot on (see what I did there!) re: Shilton and penalties. He was 40 though. I too deserted England during the noughties and these past few years but then we had our own domestic troubles and I couldn’t cope with a war on two fronts so don’t feel too bad.
      "Never miss a good chance to shut up"

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by blue-shifted View Post

Shilton was way off his line, virtually at the edge of the 6 yard box when the kick was taken, he gave himself no chance with the fortuitous deflection.
      Weather forecast for tonight: dark.
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by neilbard View Post
      Not slating Sterling, but how much threat did we really pose when he was on the pitch? 2 shots on target, just saying.
      To be fair we only had about 6 on target in open play all tournament.

1 Not allowed!
      I have to concur that we offered nothing last night after Sterling went off. We lost to a more experienced team who changed tactics after 30 minutes and we are currently a tad limited in our options. Sterling chasing everything was our go to play and it was effective.

The the two semi-finals are not comparable really. 1990 were a far superior team and we were SO unlucky that night it was unreal - the deflected free-kick, Waddle hit the post and Gazza was 1/2 an inch away from a Waddle (I think) cross. As an aside, there was always this "common knowledge" that Robson switched to 3 at the back in 1990 due to player pressure - Mark Wright was on Radio 5 the other day and said that this was not true and that Sir Bobby told him before the finals that he was going to play Sweeper after the Ireland game. I had not heard this before. But that 1990 team was much better than this current one.

The main problem now that Southgate faces is that expectation levels will have risen somewhat again! Interesting times ahead.
      Sanibona!!

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
      To start of with, two statements.

Have enjoyed the world cup and ride with the England team.

We got what we deserved and the better team won.

Now I've followed England for decades. I don't know how others feel but this defeat pales in comparison to how I felt when we lost in 1990. Possible because we lost to the arch rivals then but probably more because we had a team that we thought could genuinely win it. Think most pundits were of the opinion that the winners of our semi would beat either of the other two semi-finalist. Today, we were in the semi final having beaten no one of significance but, to be fair, that is the luck of the draw. I hoped, but had no high expectation, of success and because of that I don't feel as disheartened as I did 28 years ago.

My thoughts on individuals :-

Sterling - Despite what so called amateur experts say, he contributes very little yet again. Would prefer to see him as an impact sub and give Rashford a starting chance.
      Southgate - Got the job by default and not because of some grand plan by the FA. That said, there is promise so let's see how he gets on in the Euro's qualifiers and hopefully the final tournament.
      Pickford - Deservedly now considered England's No. 1.
      Trippier - One of the star performers, the only black mark being he's from Burnley (well Bury is close enough!)
      Midfield - We lack a star player, quality to go round players or someone to find a killer pass. Lingard and Ali still young enough to improve.

So, to sum up, looking forward to the final of Wimbledon!!!
      What the hell did Rashford do when he came on? What did he contribute to the tournament as a whole? I only remember that awful miss against Belgium. Think how poor we looked after Sterling came off last night. We needed someone to stretch the opposition. He's not the finished product and makes poor decisions sometimes but he's easily our most dangerous player. Sick of the tabloid-fuelled scapegoating.
      *JCL since 1976 - FA Cup final, replay and semi, two play-off finals, Hereford, three Championships, eight promotions, five relegations, four home stadiums*
      The voice of reason. hans kraay fan club's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      How ever many threads you keep 'just saying' this 'two shots on target' stat, it will still not be true.

Unless Trippier's free kick wasn't 'on target'? Or Kane's powder puff shot, when Sterling had an open goal? Or Stone's header cleared off the line? Off the top of my head.
      The above post is simply my opinion. I am not bullying you, should it differ from your own.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      If you go back and look at that free kick Shilton is way off his line and had no chance with the looping ball. It was a mistake by Shilton.
      And the truth will set you free........... This all day long. His studs never left the grass, and dont get me started on his attempted penalty saves
      I am such a Naughty Boy.