Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 74

Thread: 1990 v 2018

  1. #31
    Members
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Hove
    Posts
    18,089


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellotron View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We lost any hint of creative spark the second Sterling was taken off. Never looked like scoring or getting behind them after that.
    No, but because he was the only one of our attacking players who performed on the night, he had run himself to a standstill, I could see why the thought was getting fresh pace on the pitch. The other change I'd like to have seen was Loftus-Cheek, but Young having his worst game of the tournament meant you had to waste a sub on full back for full back. Think Gareth may have a bit of a blind spot for Alli, because I'd have repeated our Tunisia substitutions.

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #32
      We wunt be druv ManOfSussex's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2016
      Location
      Rape of Hastings
      Posts
      9,167


      0 Not allowed!
      1990 v 2018? No contest.



      v

      Each to his choice, and I rejoice the lot has fallen to me
      In a fair ground-in a fair ground -
      Yea, Sussex by the sea!
    • #33
      Members Commander's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2004
      Location
      London
      Posts
      10,672


      2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      You're right, Sterling is class, just like the Emperor's new clothes.
      Astonishing that you can't see how good he was for us last night. We carried virtually no threat as soon as he went off. It's not all about scoring goals.
      "I am repeatedly a fan of his braggish self-assurance. No point, that I can remember, has he ever been foolish or incorrect. All based on scientific, biblical fact. He's a vivid sermoniser whose halo sometimes burns those who dare to question."
    • #34

      0 Not allowed!
      Disappointed today, but that's about it.
      This was a far better opportunity to reach the final than 90, but it doesn't feel as bad.

      The team blew the opportunity, should have put the game to bed in the first half.
      They didn't and paid the price.

      Not sure I'm convinced that this is a platform to build on.
      There won't be another major championships where all of the top teams fail to make it to the semis.
    • #35
      Members bhafc99's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2003
      Location
      Dubai
      Posts
      3,493


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Uh_huh_him View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Disappointed today, but that's about it.
      This was a far better opportunity to reach the final than 90, but it doesn't feel as bad.

      The team blew the opportunity, should have put the game to bed in the first half.
      They didn't and paid the price.

      Not sure I'm convinced that this is a platform to build on.
      There won't be another major championships where all of the top teams fail to make it to the semis.
      Agreed with everything you say except the last point. France and Belgium are both top teams for this tournament. Just because Argentina and Spain, say, have good tournament histories didn't automatically make them top teams for 2018. For example I tipped Belgium before the whole thing began; to my mind they were very much one of the top teams coming into it. That said, it's undeniable that England's half of the draw entering the knockout stage was completely open.
      "These were, I have to say, quite easily the ugliest people I have ever seen in my life, and I've been to Selhurst Park when Crystal Palace are at home."

      Charlie Connelly, 'Attention All Shipping: a Journey round the Shipping Forecast'; published by Abacus Books, 2004, page 94.
    • #36

      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by bhafc99 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Agreed with everything you say except the last point. France and Belgium are both top teams for this tournament. Just because Argentina and Spain, say, have good tournament histories didn't automatically make them top teams for 2018. For example I tipped Belgium before the whole thing began; to my mind they were very much one of the top teams coming into it. That said, it's undeniable that England's half of the draw entering the knockout stage was completely open.
      Agree that France/Belgium are top teams for this tournament, but so were we up until last night.
      Performances in tournament football is what matters.
      Facing Germany/Italy/Spain/Brazil/Argentina in a WC/EC semi final will be different gravy.
      I don't think the platform that thas been laid down here, will be strong enough to stand up to any of the above in the next championships.
    • #37
      I've asked for soup Mellotron's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2008
      Location
      Brighton
      Posts
      23,522


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Astonishing that you can't see how good he was for us last night. We carried virtually no threat as soon as he went off. It's not all about scoring goals.
      Football Ramble:

      "You'd have to be totally blind not to see what Sterling brings to this team."

      week later;

      "What happens is you get people who aren't that into football getting interested because it's the World Cup, they look for an easy scapegoat - he's not scoring goals - there you go. It's nonsense."

      Football Weekly:

      vs Sweden - "Sterling played very, very well. Alli played very poorly."

      Total Soccer Show:

      (Sarcastically) "Watch the game with a beer and scream at Sterling, right?"

      "Absolutely, if you know nothing about how tactics or a team work, you got it!"
      Last edited by Mellotron; 12-07-2018 at 09:52.
      ""Football. F***ing football. Imagine not being into it. Those poor, poor half-alive ********."
    • #38

      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Run View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Donít underestimate the fact we have grown up! I was 21 in 1990, 48 now, I didnít go to work for three days after the WG game , Iím setting off to work now and Iím irritated but not that bothered!
      Mirrored here. Was devastated in 1990 (21), this one is borderline 'meh.' Maybe it's an age thing.
    • #39
      Members
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Posts
      1,387


      1 Not allowed!
      Losing in 1990 was awful and I'm still getting over it now. Losing last night was awful but I hope to be over it by the weekend.
    • #40

      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Uh_huh_him View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Disappointed today, but that's about it.
      This was a far better opportunity to reach the final than 90, but it doesn't feel as bad.

      The team blew the opportunity, should have put the game to bed in the first half.
      They didn't and paid the price.

      Not sure I'm convinced that this is a platform to build on.
      There won't be another major championships where all of the top teams fail to make it to the semis.
      Its a common mistake to assume that a young group of players will all mature together, keep improving and ultimately win tournaments. Without real top class, you will always fall just short of glory. We have to hope that one real star emerges in the next 2-3 years, to carry our hopes forward. In 1990, Gascoigne was that man. That touch of something special. That creativity.
      This tournament we missed Oxlade Chamberlain and Lallana. They could have given us something more. In 1990, we had a world class, proven manager. In 2018 we have a relative rookie. Our players are raw and inexperienced at dealing with the pressures at the highest international level.
      So much changes, from World Cup to World Cup, that you cannot look forward with any certainty and as with any sport, you have to seize the moment. It doesn't matter if you are young, you have to go out and grab the chance. It didn't put Boris Becker off winning Wimbledon at 17 or Pele scoring twice in a WC Final at a similar age. You have to be confident and brave. Time and Tide wait for no man. Others will tell you that they are young and will have other chances. But will they? They may not get this close again.
      There was a very real chance of reaching a WC Final last night. That chance wasn't taken and history may prove that this was one of our best chances ever.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •