Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1990 v 2018

1990 v 2018

0 Not allowed!
    To start of with, two statements.

Have enjoyed the world cup and ride with the England team.

We got what we deserved and the better team won.

Now I've followed England for decades. I don't know how others feel but this defeat pales in comparison to how I felt when we lost in 1990. Possible because we lost to the arch rivals then but probably more because we had a team that we thought could genuinely win it. Think most pundits were of the opinion that the winners of our semi would beat either of the other two semi-finalist. Today, we were in the semi final having beaten no one of significance but, to be fair, that is the luck of the draw. I hoped, but had no high expectation, of success and because of that I don't feel as disheartened as I did 28 years ago.

My thoughts on individuals :-

Sterling - Despite what so called amateur experts say, he contributes very little yet again. Would prefer to see him as an impact sub and give Rashford a starting chance.
    Southgate - Got the job by default and not because of some grand plan by the FA. That said, there is promise so let's see how he gets on in the Euro's qualifiers and hopefully the final tournament.
    Pickford - Deservedly now considered England's No. 1.
    Trippier - One of the star performers, the only black mark being he's from Burnley (well Bury is close enough!)
    Midfield - We lack a star player, quality to go round players or someone to find a killer pass. Lingard and Ali still young enough to improve.

So, to sum up, looking forward to the final of Wimbledon!!!

• North Stand Chat

advertising

4 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Now I've followed England for decades. I don't know how others feel but this defeat pales in comparison to how I felt when we lost in 1990. Possible because we lost to the arch rivals then but probably more because we had a team that we thought could genuinely win it. Think most pundits were of the opinion that the winners of our semi would beat either of the other two semi-finalist. Today, we were in the semi final having beaten no one of significance but, to be fair, that is the luck of the draw. I hoped, but had no high expectation, of success and because of that I don't feel as disheartened as I did 28 years ago.

Sterling - Despite what so called amateur experts say, he contributes very little yet again. Would prefer to see him as an impact sub and give Rashford a starting chance.
      Southgate - Got the job by default and not because of some grand plan by the FA. That said, there is promise so let's see how he gets on in the Euro's qualifiers and hopefully the final tournament.
      Trippier - One of the star performers, the only black mark being he's from Burnley (well Bury is close enough!)
      Midfield - We lack a star player, quality to go round players or someone to find a killer pass. Lingard and Ali still young enough to improve.

Rashford was utter gash tonight.
      ...the gunshot that echoes down your hall
      Everything Must Change Beach Hut's Avatar

10 Not allowed!
      This is far easier to take than Italia '90.

We deserved better luck in Italia '90, we were a really good team and our bitterest rivals beat us. This time, low expectation, great fun and a good platform to take forward.
      I surrender all control
      To the desire that consumes me whole
      Leads me by the hand to infinity
      Lies in wait at the heart of me - the Albion of course !

3 Not allowed!
      Madness to even try and compare in my opinion, 1990 hands down, we had a far better side then.
      Weather forecast for tonight: dark.

0 Not allowed!
      We did well. Better team in the first half - could have been two or three up. Second half, they were better, ultimately fine margins. Narrow victory for Croatia - no problems, the (slightly) better team won.
      Now let's tonk Belgium.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      England / Belgium reserves again with same outcome
      never forget what Stanley, Archer and Bellotti did

4 Not allowed!
      Italia 90 was 24 years after '66 and 4 years after a solid QF showing

Russia '18 is 28 years after 1990 and we've been shit for years.,

Its really very hard to win these days, 32 good teams and 31 go home empty-handed. We weren't good enough, but we fought hard, did better than expected and gave everyone back home 3 weeks of great fun. They're not the perfect side, we knew that, so we also know they did well to get to the semis, and now I'm looking forward to seeing where they go from here. A far cry from 2010 and 2014.
      Last edited by Kalimantan Gull; 11-07-2018 at 22:59.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post

Hate tennis - obviously not very constructive

0 Not allowed!
      If you were making a composite team then I might take the younger Pickford over 40 year old Shilton, Trippier over Parker, possibly Maguire over Wright but that's probably it.

That said, this is a young team and the likes of Alli and Lingard need to impose themselves on matches like Modric and Rakitic do for Croatia.
      "Intercluderent aut mori"
      Everything Must Change Beach Hut's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Pavilionaire View Post
      If you were making a composite team then I might take the younger Pickford over 40 year old Shilton, Trippier over Parker, possibly Maguire over Wright but that's probably it.

That said, this is a young team and the likes of Alli and Lingard need to impose themselves on matches like Modric and Rakitic do for Croatia.
      Shilts for me but accept the other two, to this day, how that free kick deflected off Parker and went in defies belief, the luckiest goal ever
      I surrender all control
      To the desire that consumes me whole
      Leads me by the hand to infinity
      Lies in wait at the heart of me - the Albion of course !