Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

England's WC review - a fair ending

11 Not allowed!
    Valiant effort, great to finally get 4 wins in a tournament. Southgate has done a brilliant job. The first eleven plus Rashford stepped up the plate and performed. English pride restored. A young team, so there's more to come. I hope there's a fresh wave of players coming, so we start to get a brilliant bench of subs.

But a fair ending. After a good first 30 minutes tonight, we allowed decent at best players such as Lovren and Vida to boss us with a relentless high press. Which elminated Kane, Alli, Lingard and Sterling from the match for lengthy spells. The excellent Pickford was left punting the ball up 30 or 40 times to Lovren & co who, licking their lips, regained easy possession.

Teams that win the WC (rather than Euros ..... Greece) are always special, one of the two best teams on the planet at that moment in time. England and Croatia aren't, so fortunately/unfortunately the French have it in the bag.

On another positive, we'll stop hearing wally non-sports reporters asking all and sundry "It's coming home, isn't it?". This got cringeworthy in the end.

Still a great summer and we have the PL Albion to look forward to.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

9 Not allowed!
      It’s coming home has never meant the Facebook generation adoptment that it became in this tourno. It initially meant we were hosting a tournement in 96 and to me it just means everyone getting behind England. Some great memories created from a young side and the nation all together as one supporting the team - football came home this summer to me, a long serving loyal England fan as we all should be. Well done lads.
      Last edited by sheebo; 11-07-2018 at 21:07.
      Seeing kids in the school or in the parks with Albion shirts instead of the big clubs and easy ones, that’s it. We have done it.

Inigo Calderon
      May 2016

3 Not allowed!
      All the idiots with their waistcoats and singing 'It's coming home' despite never having seen a match before can go do one now
      Minister of Information

3 Not allowed!
      My only frustration was the idiot pundits at half time who seemed to think Croatia were a rubbish team and were almost talking about how we would fair against France.

Anyone with any footballing nouse knew they would come back once they had their game sorted. England did well not to lose in normal time but seemed to find it difficult to keep shape once the high press really kicked in.

I'd like to have seen them progress but, in all honesty, I think Mpape and co may have embarrassed us. England would merely have been the lion's bait.

They've done well, all credit, it's how they kick on that will be most interesting.
      Last edited by Brighton Lines; 11-07-2018 at 21:10.
      Quote Originally Posted by looney View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      ....and you seem to be hanging around these politics threads for an unhealthy amount of time...

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by sheebo View Post
      It’s coming home has never meant the Facebook generation adoptment that it became in this tourno. It initially meant we were hosting a tournement in 96 and to me it just means everyone getting behind England. Some great memories created from a young side and the nation all together as one supporting the team - football cake home this summer to me, a long serving loyal England fan as we all should be. Well done lads.
      I like football cake

2 Not allowed!
      The it's coming home generation, have these pricks ever watched England in a World Cup before, failure after failure after failure.

Lesson for the newbies, It isn't coming home ever!!
      Weather forecast for tonight: dark.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by neilbard View Post
      The it's coming home generation, have these pricks ever watched England in a World Cup before, failure after failure after failure.

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kalimantan Gull View Post
      oh that word was t w a t, mr neilbard, if you wondering. It always makes me happy when I know that I'm happier than other people, like yourself
      Minister of Information

2 Not allowed!

Nope, because it never left. Other countries just wanted us to share it out. That's why you were watching tonight. Good 'innit ?
      Quote Originally Posted by looney View Post
      ....and you seem to be hanging around these politics threads for an unhealthy amount of time...

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Kalimantan Gull View Post
      oh that word was t w a t, mr neilbard, if you wondering. It always makes me happy when I know that I'm happier than other people, like yourself
      He makes every one appear happy. A schadenfreude misery waiting for bad news.