Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Hold you heads high lads

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
A great tournament, were we beat two very low ranked teams, effectively drew with a middle ranked team (but won the penalties) and have lost twice (shortly to be three times) to decent teams.

So yes a great tournament

I wouldn't be that negative, though am forced to agree that the teams England beat were far from world class. We were favoured in being in the easier half of the draw, but then again you can only beat the teams that are put in front of you.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
But we do get to be unlucky losers.

It's hard to imagine another tournament being laid out so nicely for England, still on they go again.

The biggest kick in the balls is that in 4 years time, we'll get yet another onslaught of 'oh I was only a week old in 1966, but ... ' bollox.

Mbappe, Kante, Pogba, Griezmann, etc would have embarrassed us on Sunday. As much as it pains me to say it, they're still far too good for us.

This saves us the pain.

A decent team, playing with great team spirit (England), never wins the ultimate prize.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You old ****er. Proud to have been minus-8 in 1966
Not from me, I was -4, but from the actual old ****ers who seem to think England won because they shat their nappy 2 minutes before Hirst's shot didn't cross the line. :rant:

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
There are two perspectives here. One is that this young squad significantly exceeded expectations both in terms of progress in the tournament and the great qualities they showed in doing it. The second is that we are unlikely in the next few decades to have as good a chance as this to get to a WC final as the benchmark will be much higher as the nations that usually dominate rebuild. Both are right but the second may be the one that sticks for longest as years go by and we look back at this.

I am totally gutted but it feels good to able to be proud of the team, management and fans as I haven't felt that way for a while.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I’ve been watching England for 50 years now, and this team, although not great, at least you feel can grow. I’m usually quite glad secretly when we get knocked out, cos in a lot of recent tournaments we’ve been ****ing embarrassing, and, so has some of our support.
I’m gutted tonight, I thought, against the expectation of finishing in the early knockout rounds, or God forbid, the qualifying rounds, we had a real chance of a final, but, we were beaten by a better,and more savvy team.
I don’t really know what to say now, just I’ve enjoyed this, and, can you imagine if we ever do win it?!!!!

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Feel really sorry for the team.

I think a decent manager would have made the necessary half time team talk and necessary changes to win that match that was for the taking.

Unfortunately we are now stuck with him because of his "success". :(

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

I think a decent manager would have made the necessary half time team talk and necessary changes to win that match that was for the taking.

ooooooohhhhhhhhh thats pretty cutting.

Sounds like a pre-formed opinion really, hard to imagine any genuine person watching this tournament and thinking that.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire

Who would you rather see as Boss? I think he's my favourite manager since Sir Bobby. Have some belief.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
dominated first half and arguably first hour a better midfield until they crept into the game and quality started to show. even then we took the game to them rather than a traditional England rear guard. couple of individual errors gave them chances they finished, especially the second. we missed our chances.

overall, some players had great tournament, Trippier and Pickford, even Maguire, Lingard (well better than i expected). lacking a vocal leader on the pitch, and not sure there's enough on the bench. and now expectation will be high for the next tournaments.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
We over achieved against very mediocre expectations. I enjoyed the WC but have little interest now.
It was good to see a disciplined squad who were a credit to our country both on and off the field. Our free kicks were well worked but in truth we struggled elsewhere attackwise.
I’ve been disappointed with Kane in recent matches - a typical captain trying to put things right all over the pitch rather than being in the right place at the right time to score.
This team could be the start of something big but we badly need a creative midfielder. I don’t see Alli as the answer..... yet

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Great post.

We've massively improved in tournament football, overcoming highly regarded defences, thugs and some highly regarded opponents. Loads of goals scored, a decent defence.

4 wins, compared to the dross of the last many years.

A quality WC.

This is a young inexperienced team who will grow and learn from this experience. They gave it all they got tonight.

Compare that to the humiliation of being knocked out by Iceland two years ago, when the team really didn't look bothered.

I think the future looks bright with this team and Southgate, as long as they are allowed to regroup and build.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
We also have some very good junior teams coming through, so, as Liam Rosenior would say” Chin up, we go again “

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Where England are now reminds me of where British tennis was with Henman and Rusedski. Both broke through into new ground, both troubled the best but neither was quite good enough. Nevertheless, they showed the way for Murray and the Davis Cup team and gave the fans belief.

We have a great crop of kids coming through and I think Gareth can continue helping this side to progress. I might even start watching England friendlies again.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Sadly we will never win the World Cup again, golden opportunity this time and we blew it. :tantrum:

Croatia were very different to the teams we had beaten previously, they were the first side that we have faced who have offered real pace and movement, and the first team that really pressed high up the pitch on ourdefence.

They were the better team on the night and deserved to go through. Our players are young and hungry for success, in four years time they will be better still and more experienced. Their time will come again.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
A great tournament, were we beat two very low ranked teams, effectively drew with a middle ranked team (but won the penalties) and have lost twice (shortly to be three times) to decent teams.

So yes a great tournament

**** off !!

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Croatia were very different to the teams we had beaten previously, they were the first side that we have faced who have offered real pace and movement, and the first team that really pressed high up the pitch on ourdefence.

They were the better team on the night and deserved to go through. Our players are young and hungry for success, in four years time they will be better still and more experienced. Their time will come again.

Keep the faith, if that makes you happy nothing wrong with dreaming. :)

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
dominated first half and arguably first hour a better midfield until they crept into the game and quality started to show. even then we took the game to them rather than a traditional England rear guard. couple of individual errors gave them chances they finished, especially the second. we missed our chances.

overall, some players had great tournament, Trippier and Pickford, even Maguire, Lingard (well better than i expected). lacking a vocal leader on the pitch, and not sure there's enough on the bench. and now expectation will be high for the next tournaments.

Unfortunately there are some players on the bench today who could have made an impact. Out weakness was midfield and leaving Delph and/or Loftus-Cheek kicking their heels while Alli passengered around for 2 hours is just ridiculous.

Think we will never have a better opportunity to get into a final. The only way is down :(

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here