Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Hold you heads high lads

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I could do without your so so obvious trolling .

Stop using this board as an opportunity to show your true colours.

You will feel better in the morning. Don't let one defeat destroy you. I hate to say it but its only......a game. :shrug:

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Outplayed by the better team on the night.

Could have easily lost it 2-1 in normal time if not for the woodwork.

That said, all things considered it's been an excellent tournament for England.

2016 - France lose to Portugal in Paris in the Euro Final.

2018 - France make the WC Final, England lose in the Semi Finals

2020 - England make the Euro Final at Wembley?

I agree it's been an excellent tournament for England until about 25 mins into the match tonight when we reverted to the pre-Southgate England and as usual f'ed it up.

Really thought this set-up wouldn't do this.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I agree it's been an excellent tournament for England until about 25 mins into the match tonight when we reverted to the pre-Southgate England and as usual f'ed it up.

Really thought this set-up wouldn't do this.

Perhaps it will take more than one tournament for this to happen.

The French licked their wounds in 2016 after being beaten in Paris by a Portugal side that lost Ronaldo early on. A lost opportunity for them.

Maybe in 2 years time it will be our turn. Certainly all the noises being made throughout the tournament was for the future, not the present.

That said, yes, it's a missed chance.

Fair play to Modric, Rakitic et al who deserve the plaudits after a stunning comeback.

On the night, the better team won. Let's leave it there.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
well done England,loads to look forward to.
Its still coming home......in 2020 now though but at Wembley.
Gives everyone ample opportunity to stock up on beer and gin.......no excuses.

71Qf5BH0OUL._UX385_.jpg

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Sadly we will never win the World Cup again, golden opportunity this time and we blew it. :tantrum:

I'm of an age where this seems a reality. This for me was the year. Not sure how many years I have left on this mortal planet (Although my master plan of living to be the oldest person on the planet appears to be on track). Couple more stabs at it?

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Anyone would think we're a nation with a population of 5 million people who've just been knocked out by the 4/5th biggest nation in Europe. Well done England you weren't absolute crap.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Southgate tonight showed why he's not a top manager. Over run second half in midfield did **** all about it.

We were crying out for experience in the middle once it went 1-1. Today was Englands 1st true test of the tournament and yet again we still weren't good enough. Croatia were very average but yet far much more composed and calm than England as always.

We need a team of players who can utilise our best player (kane) much better than we have. Fingers crossed Southgate steps down and we bring in someone who wants England to play with fluidity and telepathy. Today's game was a complete repeat of all the other clueless performances where we get knocked out.

I don't give a toss what Sky sports tells you to think (England were amazing in this WC). When push came to shove,same old story. Crap.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
We were crying out for experience in the middle once it went 1-1. Today was Englands 1st true test of the tournament and yet again we still weren't good enough. Croatia were very average but yet far much re composed and calm than England.

We need a team of players who can utilise our best player (kane) much better than we have. Fingers crossed Southgate steps down and we bring in someone who wants England to play with fluidity and telepathy. Today's game was a completely late repeat of all the other clueless performances where we get knocked out.

I don't give a toss what Sky sports tells you to think (England were amazing in this WC). When push came to shove,same old story. Crap.

.. and the cycle continues. Sky didn't even have the rights.

Fortunately the press (for the first time) tomorrow will be unified in their respect and look to the future.

I guess someone had to carry "the flame".

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
.. and the cycle continues. Sky didn't even have the rights.

Fortunately the press (for the first time) tomorrow will be unified in their respect and look to the future.

I guess someone had to carry "the flame".

Everyone has got way too carried away with our performance in this WC. To put this into perspective our most crucial result was losing to Belgium.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
What a wonderful few weeks it's been.

Zero expectation and apathy towards our national side replaced by real hope and excitement watching England once more. In short, I've fallen back in love with our country. Thank you Southgate, Holland and the fearless pride of young talents - come on home to your deserved heroes welcome, we'll be waiting :bowdown:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
We were crying out for experience in the middle once it went 1-1. Today was Englands 1st true test of the tournament and yet again we still weren't good enough. Croatia were very average but yet far much more composed and calm than England as always.

We need a team of players who can utilise our best player (kane) much better than we have. Fingers crossed Southgate steps down and we bring in someone who wants England to play with fluidity and telepathy. Today's game was a complete repeat of all the other clueless performances where we get knocked out.

Yawn (so technically, I didn't bite!)

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Everyone has got way too carried away with our performance in this WC.

If you simply concentrate on the game which unfortunately hasn't been the problem for years. Fortunately some of us are bit more intelligent and no-one has been saying this team are brilliant.

I suggest you watch the recent documentary about England Managers.

Hoddle, Sven, Fat Sam all targeted by the press. Taylor and Robson before. Players too, even Gazza in 96. In the build up to this one the press were after Sterling.

Certain managers have also treated players like children.

It's all led to a fear of failure within the group as many players have expressed.

This WC was different. Players made a mistake, get up move on. They've also reconnected with the fans in the way they do at their club.

They have played as a team, there is a togetherness. They respect the manager and he respects them. Even the most cynical has to see that. It's the Hughton effect.

In all a massive leap forward that transcends the defeat tonight. We are never going to be the best team in the world, but most that stopped us being the best we can has been removed.

I'm proud and looking forward to Euros.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Where England are now reminds me of where British tennis was with Henman and Rusedski. Both broke through into new ground, both troubled the best but neither was quite good enough. Nevertheless, they showed the way for Murray and the Davis Cup team and gave the fans belief.

We have a great crop of kids coming through and I think Gareth can continue helping this side to progress. I might even start watching England friendlies again.

This all day long for me.

Southgate nailed it when he said tonight...“We are where we are”.

Without listing all the reasons, I believe we're in good hands with this manager and this young set of players. They've all still got a way to go, but for once I can see a bright future with this set up.

I'm really proud with everything we've achieved at this tournament and can take loads of positives from it.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
It's amazing the difference a penalty shootout can make, given that they are just a toss of the coin. If England had gone out against Colombia, it would have been, well, we thrashed Panama, beat Tunisia in the last moments and lost to Belgium and went out on penalties as we always do. A whole different outcome because of one save.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
It's amazing the difference a penalty shootout can make, given that they are just a toss of the coin. If England had gone out against Colombia, it would have been, well, we thrashed Panama, beat Tunisia in the last moments and lost to Belgium and went out on penalties as we always do. A whole different outcome because of one save.

Makes you realise what a funny old game football is really. Such fine margins

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here