Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] WC SF2 Croatia v England

D

Deleted member 18477

I never even had any expectations of winning the competition. I’ve just waited my entire life for an appearance in the final and I really thought this was the year. Can’t believe how low this makes me feel.

It’s the looking forward to the next game, talking about it at work or with mates, planning the game, where are we gunna watch it, getting the drinks in, having a good day with friends or family in the build up... it’s the dreaming of a win that makes you feel passionate and alive...

Same old England then... proud of Southgate, any other year we would have lost to Colombia. He’s done well but I am still absolutely gutted and that will never change until we do win, because I’m English and can’t help it!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
With waistcoat in charge ?

Yes. I was totally dismissive of Southgate as an FA suit appointed to the England job, but now, yes, with the waistcoat in charge they seem t have got it right. I was wrong - so what do you want? The wally with the brolly back? Or do you fancy your expertise as the solution? You know, as an expert, like....................................................

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Either of the teams playing this evening would have started as clear underdogs in the Final.

With quality all over the pitch and the star of the World Cup up front, it's France's to lose.

However, barring a hat-trick, there's every chance that Harry Kane will collect the Golden Boot.

Small consolation maybe, but that and a Semi-Final is a lot better than what most were envisaging just a month ago.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
For some reason our tournament ended after 25 mins or so into the game tonight.

Such a shame we should just revert to form after so much optimism.

It's the hope that kills you.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
For some reason our tournament ended after 25 mins or so into the game tonight.

Such a shame we should just revert to form after so much optimism.

It's the hope that kills you.

Fortunately Southgate is over that.

Leading columnist when interviewed noted that Southgate has already had his big England failure. Couldn't get away from it for years. People in the street, mentioned in every interview he gave.

The press know they can't get him, learn from him.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Fortunately Southgate is over that.

Leading columnist when interviewed noted that Southgate has already had his big England failure. Couldn't get away from it for years. People in the street, mentioned in every interview he gave.

The press know they can't get him, learn from him.

I don't understand what you're going on about.

You do know we lost tonight?

And in a most disappointing manner?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Beat three poor sides, drew against a mediocre one, lost to two good ones. Can't really get carried away. Discarding the Belgium game, Crotia were the first decent team we came up against and we were found wanting. Pleased they exceeded expectations, but they had a fairly easy ride. Tonight was a chance to make history agsinst a team they were capable of beating and they failed to do it. Still nice to see an England team and manager without the usual egos. Onwards and upwards to the Euros 2020.

Last edited:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Not sure anyone has said we had a right to beat them. All I’ve said is that we (a second rate country) are highly unlikely to get another opportunity to play a fellow second rate country in a World Cup SF ever again.
You're:

A. Talking shite B. Unbelievably negative C. Talking shite

"Second rate country". Not big names you mean? Did you actually watch this World Cup or did you just presume that Spain, Argentina, Germany etc are always going to be 'first rate' when in reality they were all crap?

A simplistic and totally incorrect view, backed up by the rest of your posts. Use your eyes instead of your tabloidesque bias.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Don't see how anyone can fault them. Yea they were knackered towards the end and could have been 2 maybe 3 up at half time, but this was the best performance in a tournament and sense of togetherness I can remember for a long time. Yea you can argue we didn't really play any good teams, apart from Croatia, but you can only beat was is Infront of you.

How do people know this will be our best chance? What's to say we don't use this experience for future tournaments and win one of them in the next 4 - 6 years? This could be the start of us doing a Germany, or a France when they reverted back to youngsters.

They will come back hero's and rightly so.
If we can't celebrate exceeding our expectations like we just have then what is the point.

Southgate and the boys have created something to build on. We just need to try and keep the pressure of for the euros.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
You're:

A. Talking shite B. Unbelievably negative C. Talking shite

"Second rate country". Not big names you mean? Did you actually watch this World Cup or did you just presume that Spain, Argentina, Germany etc are always going to be 'first rate' when in reality they were all crap?

A simplistic and totally incorrect view, backed up by the rest of your posts. Use your eyes instead of your tabloidesque bias.

Football began in 96 generation, give him a break.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Stones needs to move away from City.

It’s the only way he will stop the silly mistake, needs to play every week

I’m not quite sure why Stones gets the blame for that. It’s a freak header into that zone. But Mandzukic is behind Stones and in front of Maguire... why was Maguire around the back covering him? I mean Stones is good, but he can’t have developed eyes on the back of his head surely?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here