Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] WC SF2 Croatia v England

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
No, if you read my posts I’ve backed it up with facts as to why they are not a great team. They finished behind Iceland in qualifying and weren’t able to beat Denmark or Russia without penalty shoot outs, plus with the exception of one great player and a couple of very good ones they are not a fantastic team.

Modric/Rakitić aside they are not a great team.

I completely disagree with this. I'd say that reaching the WC finals with only one really world class player demonstrates the exact opposite - Croatia disguise the lack of outstanding talent simply by being a very good team

As for the final, France have clearly got the more talented players but I fancy Croatia to win. A team that has gone behind three times in the knockout stages and has still reached the final has got a fair degree of guts and determination - they'll be no pushovers

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I completely disagree with this. I'd say that reaching the WC finals with only one really world class player demonstrates the exact opposite - Croatia disguise the lack of outstanding talent simply by being a very good team

As for the final, France have clearly got the more talented players but I fancy Croatia to win. A team that has gone behind three times in the knockout stages and has still reached the final has got a fair degree of guts and determination - they'll be no pushovers

We cut them open enough to win the game last night and made the wrong decision or fluffed our lines

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Where have I said Kane was blameless?
There were two defining moments in this game. One was a very tired John Stones switching off momentarily in the 118th minute. The other was the Tottenham striker who failed to convert a very presentable chance when he could in any case have laid on Sterling with a tap-in.

You have decided to comment on Stones, when the simple fact is that Kane is more culpable. His mistake came when he wasn't tired. And had he not done that, Stones' mistake would never have actually happened.

Not that any of us are complaining about Kane at all - maybe he too needs a move to a big club to develop further? :shrug:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
There were two defining moments in this game. One was a very tired John Stones switching off momentarily in the 118th minute. The other was the Tottenham striker who failed to convert a very presentable chance when he could in any case have laid on Sterling with a tap-in.

You have decided to comment on Stones, when the simple fact is that Kane is more culpable. His mistake came when he wasn't tired. And had he not done that, Stones' mistake would never have actually happened.

Not that any of us are complaining about Kane at all - maybe he too needs a move to a big club to develop further? :shrug:

Well, if Walker had not lost his man at the back post or young had stopped the cross in Stones mistake would never have happened.

Or Lingard hit the target from 17 yards with a clear shot

Also commented about the missed chances earlier in the thread :shrug:

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
My wife, who is not a football fan, summed the game up in the car incredibly accurately I feel: it seemed like Croatia knew we would come racing out of the starting blocks (a la Tunisia, Panama, Colombia etc.) and realised as long as they didn't go in 2 or 3 goals down at the break, we would eventually tire and they would come into their own. Risky strategy but eventually paid off when we couldn't build on our lead and Sterling and Kane tired. Croatia must have taken great heart from their last two games and knew their players could go the distance physically if they paced themselves.

Have no problem whatsoever with our gameplan though. Played to our strengths (starting quick), just couldn't see it over the line. Very proud of them all, every single one of them heroes.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
My wife, who is not a football fan, summed the game up in the car incredibly accurately I feel: it seemed like Croatia knew we would come racing out of the starting blocks (a la Tunisia, Panama, Colombia etc.) and realised as long as they didn't go in 2 or 3 goals down at the break, we would eventually tire and they would come into their own. Risky strategy but eventually paid off when we couldn't build on our lead and Sterling and Kane tired. Croatia must have taken great heart from their last two games and knew their players could go the distance physically if they paced themselves.

Have no problem whatsoever with our gameplan though. Played to our strengths (starting quick), just couldn't see it over the line. Very proud of them all, every single one of them heroes.

Luca Modric commenting that the English pundits underestimated Croatia - they will get tired - and used the expression "lack of respect. I think he would like your wife.

And I think he is right. Croatia were always going to be difficult to beat? And have been for ages.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
England lacked any guile and composure on the ball. When it was 1-1, we needed to bring someone on who could show some calmness and quality. Unfortunately there wasn't single player in the selected squad who could offer this. Southgate's biggest mistake was not bringing Wilshere to the WC. The only Englishman who could offer this but instead GS brings on Eric Average Dier who made absolutely no influence on the game. Wilshere would've been ideal when England started panicking and hoofing it anywhere.

It became the Southgate (ex England u21 manager) show when he selected his squad of players based on their u21 involvement rather than their technical ability. Southgate has never been a successful manager. You can see why.

Last edited:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
England lacked any guile and composure on the ball. When it was 1-1, we needed to bring someone on who could show some calmness and quality. Unfortunately there wasn't single player in the selected squad who could offer this. Southgate's biggest mistake was not bringing Wilshere to the WC. The only Englishman who could offer this but instead GS brings on Eric Average Dier who made absolutely no influence on the game. Wilshere would've been ideal when England started panicking and hoofing it anywhere.

It became the Southgate (ex England u21 manager) show when he selected his squad of players based on their u21 involvement rather than their technical ability. Southgate has never been a successful manager. You can see why.

I was surprised Loftus-Road-Cheek didn't get a run out - he would have given the midfield some forward impetus.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

Wilshire wasn't picked because he's made of Weetabix and he's a total knob. The reconnection with the fans and the togetherness of the squad would have been put at risk by taking a dickhead as part of it. Well done Southgate.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

:fishing:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The basic cause of the exit was that we could and should have been 3 up at half time but for the misses of Kane and Lingard when they both should have done better. Croatia were no better than the teams we have beaten and we should have done better, no excuses.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
The basic cause of the exit was that we could and should have been 3 up at half time but for the misses of Kane and Lingard when they both should have done better. Croatia were no better than the teams we have beaten and we should have done better, no excuses.

Agreed I didn't think Croatia looked any better than Sweden, without the two brilliant saves from Pickford we could have been in the mire against them.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Glad I stayed off this thread last night.
England losing a match seems to attract every joyless miserable *******, like flies to a turd.

We made the semi final, it's better than anyone expected. Why can't people just be happy with that :shrug:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Spot on, IMO.

Seen plenty of suggestion that England lost that game in the second half. The truth is they defended pretty well, against a decent side. The opportunity came and went, when we failed to capitalise in the dominant first half.

After that, the longer the game went on, we were bound to tire, and suffer accordingly. The predictions of Croatia tiring were odd - they were always going to have the bulk of possession, and chasing the ball about wore us down.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Saying Croatia are no better than Sweden makes no sense. We cruised to victory against Sweden, and Croatia would've done too.

Croatia were much better tactically, they nullified our game by playing a high press in the 2nd half.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Where have I said Kane was blameless?

Will you now revise your statement that Kane is currently the best player in the world on form?

He'll never be considered the best until his goals actually lead to something significant - whether that be leading Tottenham to trophies or winning something at international level.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I fancied Croatia at the beginning as best bet outsiders. I did not bet on them because I thought they would be playing Germany in the quarter-finals.

I struggle to find any excuses for England. I think if we played Croatia again with the same squad and manager we would lose again.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here