Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 2018-19 Loyalty points shake up - bit shit?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The Albion should stop calling them loyalty points, would take a lot of emotion out of it. It’s got bugger all to do with loyalty or we’d not see 8 year old kids at away games. Just call them points and also do away with bronze silver etc. Any ‘class’ nouns in a sport like football is just plain stupid. It’s always going to cause arguments. Just call them ‘points’. You’ve either got enough or you haven’t. You’re either likely to get a ticket or won’t. It’s a constantly changing population and if you’re in it for the long haul you will see some games both Home and Away. Eventually. Whether now or in 30years time. Thems the dice and you roll with em. Football. It’s just how it is. Expect nothing and you’ll never be disappointed!

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Hi Mate, yes and from that pot their names are drawn out on a ballot basis. This will always be not the solution but the fairest way for me.

But are these fans in the loyalty pot all season ticket holders ?

If so.. then still rewarding the people who fund the club, fans going away don’t actually give the club any money.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Hi Mate, yes and from that pot their names are drawn out on a ballot basis. This will always be not the solution but the fairest way for me.

That loyalty ballot pot is STHs who have applied for every away ticket for the last 17 years – and they only have an 85% chance of getting a ticket!

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008

If so.. then still rewarding the people who fund the club, fans going away don’t actually give the club any money.

No they are not, its the luck of the draw

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008

That loyalty ballot pot is STHs who have applied for every away ticket for the last 17 years – and they only have an 85% chance of getting a ticket!

Here we go, this is from a Manc friend, as you can see at the end, even people on the lowest tier have a chance to get a ticket, because its a ballot, however small they still get a chance, our lowest tier fans have next to no chance EVER !!

Non season ticket holders can apply but the ballot is weighted towards loyalty.
I can’t remember the exact percentages but it’s something like:
30% to season ticket holders who apply for and attend away games. Once you’re in this 30% you basically never drop out.
40% to season ticket holders who apply for every away game even if they’re not successful (that’s me)
10% to Executive Club members at Old Trafford
20% to members, so basically everyone else, as long as you’re a member which is only about £25 per season.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Here we go, this is from a Manc friend, as you can see at the end, even people on the lowest tier have a chance to get a ticket, because its a ballot, however small they still get a chance, our lowest tier fans have next to no chance EVER !!

Non season ticket holders can apply but the ballot is weighted towards loyalty.
I can’t remember the exact percentages but it’s something like:
30% to season ticket holders who apply for and attend away games. Once you’re in this 30% you basically never drop out.
40% to season ticket holders who apply for every away game even if they’re not successful (that’s me)
10% to Executive Club members at Old Trafford
20% to members, so basically everyone else, as long as you’re a member which is only about £25 per season.

Firstly ...... not what the link says.

Secondly and more importantly, not EVERY away game sold out last season... so everyone does have a chance

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
Firstly ...... not what the link says.

Secondly and more importantly, not EVERY away game sold out last season... so everyone does have a chance

They have no chance with the local & London games. As an example what chance does a bronze member who cant be a season ticket holder because of their personal circumstance, cant get to many away games because of their personal circumstance who has supported the club for 50 years get a ticket for say Bournemouth. At least with their policy the above member has a better chance than our person.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
They have no chance with the local & London games. As an example what chance does a bronze member who cant be a season ticket holder because of their personal circumstance, cant get to many away games because of their personal circumstance who has supported the club for 50 years get a ticket for say Bournemouth. At least with their policy the above member has a better chance than our person.

So your saying someone who can’t go to many games and doesn’t travel away should have as much chance as say someone who goes to every game home and away ?

The Man Utd one does have to be a season ticket holder for a minimum of 3 years and buy every home Cup game ticket BEFORE you can apply for an away ticket.

There is a pot of loyal SEASON TICKET HOLDERS who have applied for every away game since 2001, 85% of the tickets are pulled from this pot. The remaining 15% go to a ballot of season ticket holders who have applied.

Can I buy tickets for Manchester United away games?
Due to the high demand, away tickets are only sold to season ticket holders who have purchased all cup tickets and to executive club members.

New season ticket holders must have had their season ticket for three seasons before they can apply.

There is a ‘loyalty pot’ consisting of fans who have applied for every away game since the 2001-02 season. They are said to have around an 85 percent chance of securing tickets.

The remainder of the allocation is put to a ballot with applications, which are always usually over subscribed, taken usually around a month before games.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
So your saying someone who can’t go to many games and doesn’t travel away should have as much chance as say someone who goes to every game home and away ?

The Man Utd one does have to be a season ticket holder for a minimum of 3 years and buy every home Cup game ticket BEFORE you can apply for an away ticket.

There is a pot of loyal SEASON TICKET HOLDERS who have applied for every away game since 2001, 85% of the tickets are pulled from this pot. The remaining 15% go to a ballot of season ticket holders who have applied.

Can I buy tickets for Manchester United away games?
Due to the high demand, away tickets are only sold to season ticket holders who have purchased all cup tickets and to executive club members.

New season ticket holders must have had their season ticket for three seasons before they can apply.

There is a ‘loyalty pot’ consisting of fans who have applied for every away game since the 2001-02 season. They are said to have around an 85 percent chance of securing tickets.

The remainder of the allocation is put to a ballot with applications, which are always usually over subscribed, taken usually around a month before games.

No I am not saying that, what I am saying is, there were plenty of "loyal" fans who travelled across the country during the 70's, 80's and 90's. long long before the theatre of dreams was built, some of us have done more miles watching the Albion than a majority of the new "loyal" fans, just because they now cant go to as many matches because of circumstance, does not mean they have not put in the hard miles years before and are suddenly not loyal.

As an example:
lets say during the 80's fan "A" when to nearly every home and away game for 7 years.
Fan "B" has gone to nearly every home and away game for the last 7 years

Obviously fan "A" is now older and life's circumstances mean they cant now attend as many games over the last 7 years and fab "B" Although they are able to go to say 6 £52 games at home and that will generate £312 in ticket sales, which is nearly as much as a season ticket.

Who then is more loyal? For me they are both the same.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
our lowest tier fans have next to no chance EVER !!

RUBBISH

Burnley to start with last season was POTG

I don't think any away game north of London sold out in the season before last.

At the moment there are still 203 tickets available for Liverpool and at 9am tomorrow morning any left will be available to buy by non STH's

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
No I am not saying that, what I am saying is, there were plenty of "loyal" fans who travelled across the country during the 70's, 80's and 90's. long long before the theatre of dreams was built, some of us have done more miles watching the Albion than a majority of the new "loyal" fans, just because they now cant go to as many matches because of circumstance, does not mean they have not put in the hard miles years before and are suddenly not loyal.

As an example:
lets say during the 80's fan "A" when to nearly every home and away game for 7 years.
Fan "B" has gone to nearly every home and away game for the last 7 years

Obviously fan "A" is now older and life's circumstances mean they cant now attend as many games over the last 7 years and fab "B" Although they are able to go to say 6 £52 games at home and that will generate £312 in ticket sales, which is nearly as much as a season ticket.

Who then is more loyal? For me they are both the same.

Its not about who is more ‘loyal’ for me.

It’s about the fairest way to distribute tickets.... and in this case I think the club have got a difficult situation right. The oversubscribed games should go to those that have season tickets. Not every game sold out last season so everyone can get a chance to go to an away game.

Fans without a season ticket sadly can’t cherrypick which away games they go to... it’s not ideal but whatever way the club go someone is going to be upset. This way at least they can be seen to reward those who put most into the club.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
Its not about who is more ‘loyal’ for me.

It’s about the fairest way to distribute tickets.... and in this case I think the club have got a difficult situation right. The oversubscribed games should go to those that have season tickets. Not every game sold out last season so everyone can get a chance to go to an away game.

Fans without a season ticket sadly can’t cherrypick which away games they go to... it’s not ideal but whatever way the club go someone is going to be upset. This way at least they can be seen to reward those who put most into the club.

I agree with all you have said, I honestly do, for me, even on the most oversubscribed games there should still be a slim chance for those other fans who don't have and cant get the points. Even if its say 10 tickets for Bournemouth. It's a tiny gesture to say that yes you might be able to go rather than no you cant come because you are not loyal enough, and your personal situation is of no concern to us.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
RUBBISH

At the moment there are still 203 tickets available for Liverpool and at 9am tomorrow morning any left will be available to buy by non STH's

That's great news

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
RUBBISH

You're right, and this isn't Burnley or Hudds, it's bloody LIVERPOOL, one place most football fans would (should) definitely like to tick off. I've still not been myself and this was one that I wanted to go to this season, but because of the lack of trains and the time change and probable overnight stay, it's going to have to wait until next season hopefully.

There's probably a lot of others who won't be attending this for these reasons.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
What would be really good would be for the club to show the number of tickets still available on the website (if possible). So those without enough points and so on, can get an idea of whether there is any chance of getting a ticket when their window opens. At them moment the only people who can see what tickets are available are those who have already bought one, or can buy one presently. In fact, I might email them to suggest this.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
RUBBISH

It was very nice of all the new loyal away supporters to leave us the chance to visit Burnley last season.

Curious how games north of London now sell out when they never did season before last and going back, we must have discovered lots of new loyal away fans. Can't imagine why. Perhaps the novelty will wear off and leave us old exiled fans a chance to watch at some new grounds.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
It was very nice of all the new loyal away supporters to leave us the chance to visit Burnley last season.

Curious how games north of London now sell out when they never did season before last and going back, we must have discovered lots of new loyal away fans. Can't imagine why. Perhaps the novelty will wear off and leave us old exiled fans a chance to watch at some new grounds.

Loads of the most loyal fans had the chance last season to tick off lots of new grounds, so their loyalty allowed them to.
This season perhaps there will not be the urgency to visit all those grounds and there will be more opportunity for the (slightly) less loyal fans to get tickets.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I can't remember for certain, but Swansea, Huddersfield, Newcastle, Stoke, Burnley and Man City went on sale beyond STH points as did MU in the cup. For a first season in the Premier League, this would seem a reasonable number of away games for those that don't have an ST.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Loads of the most loyal fans had the chance last season to tick off lots of new grounds, so their loyalty allowed them to.
This season perhaps there will not be the urgency to visit all those grounds and there will be more opportunity for the (slightly) less loyal fans to get tickets.

Exaclty this. Alot of loyal fans have waited and waited for certain grounds to come up so they can visit them. Now that they have, they may not go this season for various different reason. Meaning others will be in with a chance.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here