Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] NSC Housekeeping

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You after being a mod? :cool:

Mmmmm....well, I was asked back in 03 but assumed it would require working shifts and told Darren I wouldn't have the time....now I see it is much more a hive mind with whoever is around doing the job. Anyway, there is an argument that I am far too capricious and iconoclastic for any position of responsibility. After all, I have actually received a 'warning' for posting an inappropriate picture to illustrate what I would rather be doing than whatever it was on offer (I think my alternative was being eaten by wolves. Yes.....I know). :lolol:

In summary, if asked would say yes but if Darren has ANY sense he won't ask. And one thing that man has is sense. :lolol:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Mmmmm....well, I was asked back in 03 but assumed it would require working shifts and told Darren I wouldn't have the time....now I see it is much more a hive mind with whoever is around doing the job. Anyway, there is an argument that I am far too capricious and iconoclastic for any position of responsibility. After all, I have actually received a 'warning' for posting an inappropriate picture to illustrate what I would rather be doing than whatever it was on offer (I think my alternative was being eaten by wolves. Yes.....I know). :lolol:

In summary, if asked would say yes but if Darren has ANY sense he won't ask. And one thing that man has is sense. :lolol:

Well there's no reason why not IMO.
It takes all sorts (no offence intended:bowdown:)
I'm guessing the mods on here, all come from life's different backgrounds, such like a brain surgeon, war games tactician or even professional town crier.
You just never know :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well there's no reason why not IMO.
It takes all sorts (no offence intended:bowdown:)
I'm guessing the mods on here, all come from life's different backgrounds, such like a brain surgeon, war games tactician or even professional town crier.
You just never know :lolol:

Funnily enough I don't know any of the mods, apart from nodding acquaintance with a couple. They are all very fair. Apart from one I decided to block. Except you can't block a mod....

Which brings me on to my list of a dozen-ish blocked nobbers. I would have to unblock them in order to join the round table of Knights of the unheralded Dick, no? They earn their corn, those moderators.....like having to moderate the Guardian AND the Daily Sport :lolol:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Funnily enough I don't know any of the mods, apart from nodding acquaintance with a couple. They are all very fair. Apart from one I decided to block. Except you can't block a mod....

Which brings me on to my list of a dozen-ish blocked nobbers. I would have to unblock them in order to join the round table of Knights of the unheralded Dick, no? They earn their corn, those moderators.....like having to moderate the Guardian AND the Daily Sport :lolol:

Well if your knowledgeable of Harry Potter.
You could use a few blocking spells, if one so wished.
Then...........
"You're a wizard Harry"
:lolol:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I tried 3 visits ( and feel dirty ) the banner came up on the first visit and I clicked Continue to site. Clicked various links on my return and it did not reappear.

Same here. Clicked on lots of links and the banner didn't appear (I also found out that Paul Hurst is now manager of Ipswich, I missed that)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well if your knowledgeable of Harry Potter.
You could use a few blocking spells, if one so wished.
Then...........
"You're a wizard Harry"
:lolol:

Expelliamus!

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
On the tardy PM action issue - is it possible to send users an email [or text] to say there is a new PM waiting for them?
I get this with HMRC, Santander and Nationwide who all have their own private messaging system.
This then alerts you to go and find the PM, rather than occasionally taking a look to see if there's anything new in your PM box ....

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
On the tardy PM action issue - is it possible to send users an email [or text] to say there is a new PM waiting for them?
I get this with HMRC, Santander and Nationwide who all have their own private messaging system.
This then alerts you to go and find the PM, rather than occasionally taking a look to see if there's anything new in your PM box ....

There's a setting for that in 'General Settings' under 'My NSC':

pm.jpg

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There's another annoying change too. If you were following a thread, you used to be able (from The Big Board) to click on the latest post and join the thread from there. You now have to open the thread and then go the last page. It's only a minor quibble, it takes a second or two longer, but I'm not sure why that's been changed.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There's another annoying change too. If you were following a thread, you used to be able (from The Big Board) to click on the latest post and join the thread from there. You now have to open the thread and then go the last page. It's only a minor quibble, it takes a second or two longer, but I'm not sure why that's been changed.

It hasn't. I've not changed any functionality on the site for years.

mjking73

Apr 17, 2013
Littlehampton
I won't miss that slanderous bollocks about Gary Linekar. So, good stuff!

I believe we found the winner of this one. For one, brief, glorious, moment I thought it was me (level with [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION]) until we were trumped by [MENTION=27389]mjking73[/MENTION]

Even without your focus (and with the myriad of goons that gravitate towards any online forum), it's still a cracking site.

Did I win...blimey!

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
What's the deal with all these asterisks appearing under posts?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

You just click on the arrow on the right of the thread on the big board that takes you to the last post without opening a thread

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I'm finding the "ads help run this site" message pops up on every page I visit at the moment, even if I click continue. I am possibly a bit unique as I am working so connect to a Citrix delivered desktop that clears cookies etc everytime I log off. It's the first time it's happened at work though every other day it would display once and go after I clicked continue.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Absolute travesty if Tapatalk gets dropped in favour of lining pockets. I've yet to see a forum render well in a responsive format so I wait with baited breath.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Absolute travesty if Tapatalk gets dropped in favour of lining pockets. I've yet to see a forum render well in a responsive format so I wait with baited breath.

Yes, change would be entirely driven by earnings potential and there would be no other considerations at all. Well done for cutting through my bluster to reveal the truth. This time next year I'll be a millionaire Rodney - I just need an ad-laden responsive theme. Or something.

As I've written many times on here, I have long been a big fan of the user experience of using Tapatalk to access NSC and struggle to understand how some don't get on with it ,and choose to pinch and zoom their way through accessing NSC via a mobile browser.

As it turns out, very few people do use Tapatalk to access NSC and I really don't know why. Many have moaned about how crap the site is on a browser on a phone and I completely agree. It would be remiss to try to not resolve that sooner rather than later, and we're already very much in "later" territory, even though vBulletin 4 is notoriously bad in this area.

With regard to lining pockets, Tapatalk does monetise with ads and they kindly send me some money via Paypal every month. I've not done the math to see what a Tapatalk user earns the site relative to what a browser-based user earns the site. My gut feel is there's probably not too much in it either way.

There are many site owners in the forum owners forums I frequent (and boy, are they exciting places to hang out!) who will not entertain installing Tapatalk for a whole host of reasons. If I could turn the clock back I would probably keep this particular gene in the bottle, but clearly I can't do that now. I am very much interested in the end user experience combined with having the ability to control elements of the site should the need arise. By way of example, recently some users received a rogue ad on NSC. I took all ads off for a week or so. If that happens on Tapatlak, there is nothing I can do to protect users.

Hope this helps.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here