Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] The worst hotel you've ever stayed in

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Having this discussion with my youngest boy tonight and three come to mind.

3rd . Lakeview guest house in Pushkar, India where a communal shower overflow ran through the room
2nd. Old city youth hostel in Jerusalem. Room interior visible to anyone in the street who could jump up. Somebody for some reason
had scrawled on the wall in large letters the word 'WHY'

1st and the winner by a country mile. The central hotel in Macau. Ladies of the night in the lobby, the hotel was a death trap, damp, exposed electricity wires, stains covering carpets, sheets and beds, insects everywhere and the only room ever where I slept in a chair covered in a towel all night.

Anyone got and similar horror stories

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Queens Hotel, Bournemouth. The only time I left a booking to someone else. A dump, 1960’s rooms and we got no sleep due to noisy stag parties. Slagged off by hundreds of ex guests on tripadvisor, where the long term manager Daniel sarcastically fights back against every single one. The customer is most definitely not King at this dive.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Having this discussion with my youngest boy tonight and three come to mind.

3rd . Lakeview guest house in Pushkar, India where a communal shower overflow ran through the room
2nd. Old city youth hostel in Jerusalem. Room interior visible to anyone in the street who could jump up. Somebody for some reason
had scrawled on the wall in large letters the word 'WHY'

1st and the winner by a country mile. The central hotel in Macau. Ladies of the night in the lobby, the hotel was a death trap, damp, exposed electricity wires, stains covering carpets, sheets and beds, insects everywhere and the only room ever where I slept in a chair covered in a towel all night.

Anyone got and similar horror stories

Pretty certain I stayed in Lakeview, Push(y)kar too. Otherwise, my outstanding memory is Annie's Place in Brisbane. Beds so hard they hurt and so checked out at 5am...well the bin lorries reversing and crashing around outside our ground floor window meant we were up anyway :)

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Utter cesspit in Azerbaijan 2004 England away. It was more like an abandoned industrial unit in the middle of nowhere.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Went to Spain with family years ago, in a lovely 4* hotel, private beach etc, beautiful.
Final day, checked out, in our way to the airport when we get told the engine had come loose on the plane so there would be a delay (turns out it was a 36 hour delay!) So they put us in a place close to the airport. I've never seen anything like it.
The first thing we saw was the pool, which was bright green and stunk of rotten eggs, the rooms were disgusting, fold up metal beds with no bedding, blood and urine stains on the mattress, smashed windows and no curtains, cockroaches and fleas, no air con, toilets had never been cleaned by the look of them. Just plain rancid.
We camped out on the pavement out front, it was cleaner and more comfortable.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Utter cesspit in Azerbaijan 2004 England away. It was more like an abandoned industrial unit in the middle of nowhere.

What were you expecting for a country only discovered in the 90s? You're lucky you got any hay to sleep on! Bravo by the way, hardcore following us there

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Probably the Ibiza Rocks in San Antonio.We had been using it's predecessor Club Paraiso for years,but the new owners turned it into a Palma Nova-type rat infested tip virtually overnight.

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
Hotel Cecile Monaco. Stayed there twice through motor racing. Brown bath water, my room was at top.of hotel which needed three hits of a timed light switch, fine if you're sober impossible with too much vino collapso. Food was inedible. Bed was hard with a duvet that weighed a ton.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
The Adelphi in Liverpool. This is the review one of our party left on trip adviser after the Liverpool game in May.

I have never stayed in a hotel quite like the Adelphi, ever. I have stayed in some hell holes too. Me, my dad and his friends booked a night in the Adelphi whilst in Liverpool for the football. inflated price of £240 per room as the football was on, was in excusable. Beside the hotel image and decor being repulsive, the room we were unfortunately given (456) was tiny, 2 single beds squashed together. Boiling hot, wondows wouldn't open and the air con was out of action. I had to sleep on the covers because I was close to medium rare at this point, boiling. The shower was laughable too temperatures; boiling or freezing. You have to run around the shower to get wet, felt dirtier when I left the bathroom. The breakfast was an absolute car crash. Absolutely disgusting, trip advisor doesn't allow enough characters for me to express the horror of the breakfast. Staff wouldn't clean the table, we sat and ate next to dirty plates, finally after persisting the waitress did move them. Staff moved one party member to a different room after we complained, but could do nothing for us (456). The prison cell should be valued at £50 tops regardless if the footballs on, luckily I had a few drinks before going back to the cell so I could manage. The place needs far more than a lick of paint and some TLC it is disgusting. Old, Drab, Dirty. Horrendous is being polite. Do not stay here, unless you have lost a bet!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Took a holiday at the golf hotel near Land's end 15 years ago. Room so small that it was hard to walk round the bed. Very thin walls, and after 20 minutes or so of unbelievable droney bollocks we had to tell the bloke on his mobile in the next room to shut the f'uck up or we would have to kill him and eat him (no late night catering). Off like a shot the next day to a tolerable B and B near Penzance.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Also, two B and Bs I stayd in on a road trip in 84. One in Swansea (yes, I know) and another in north Devon somewhere. Both run by grannies who should really have already been dead. The rooms seemed like nobody had set foot in them since the coronation (of George V). As soon as we sat on the beds, clouds of dust that smelt of the 1950s arose, I think it was dust. Could have been the ashes of the long dead. Every crevice was inhabited by spider ghosts. The bed springs were the only things in the place with vigour - leaving a bleedng rusty gouge in my flank by morning. In Swansea the local pub hushed when I had the temerity to enter the public bar with A Woman. **** you, Wales. **** you shit B and Bs and 'hotels'. Burn dem in fiyah.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
To be fair, it has not all been shit, and I have stayed in some crakers, not least, recently, this beaut.

grand.JPG

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The Adelphi in Liverpool. This is the review one of our party left on trip adviser after the Liverpool game in May.

I have never stayed in a hotel quite like the Adelphi, ever. I have stayed in some hell holes too. Me, my dad and his friends booked a night in the Adelphi whilst in Liverpool for the football. inflated price of £240 per room as the football was on, was in excusable. Beside the hotel image and decor being repulsive, the room we were unfortunately given (456) was tiny, 2 single beds squashed together. Boiling hot, wondows wouldn't open and the air con was out of action. I had to sleep on the covers because I was close to medium rare at this point, boiling. The shower was laughable too temperatures; boiling or freezing. You have to run around the shower to get wet, felt dirtier when I left the bathroom. The breakfast was an absolute car crash. Absolutely disgusting, trip advisor doesn't allow enough characters for me to express the horror of the breakfast. Staff wouldn't clean the table, we sat and ate next to dirty plates, finally after persisting the waitress did move them. Staff moved one party member to a different room after we complained, but could do nothing for us (456). The prison cell should be valued at £50 tops regardless if the footballs on, luckily I had a few drinks before going back to the cell so I could manage. The place needs far more than a lick of paint and some TLC it is disgusting. Old, Drab, Dirty. Horrendous is being polite. Do not stay here, unless you have lost a bet!

You beat me to it. Stayed there about 15 years ago when working in Liverpool - I see it hasn’t improved. Good job you didn’t use it’s gym and sauna (if they are still there). Did you use its car park where no room is left to exit? Other cars have to be moved to allow you to get out which can take ages.

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
My son’s visit to Worthing Travelodge with his wife didn’t go to well.
His review is s classic

Are you an aspiring microbiologist? Then this is the hotel for you!
A warm welcome and a whole weekend of activities await you at the Worthing Seafront Travelodge. Once inside your room, you can look forward to some quality time examining an assortment stains and splatter on the walls, identifying mysterious sticky substances on the bedside fittings, and playing 'Guess the Orifice' with the bodily stains on the bed linen. You can while away the hours searching for traces of DNA amongst the endless amount of dust left coating every available surface, with the occasional stray pubic hair or toothpaste encrusted lump of dried saliva to help you along the way.
If, however, you are not a microbiologist and happen to stumble in here entirely by mistake, then I would recommend asking for a refund before you open the Pandora's Box of horrors that is your room. A mistake which my wife and I sadly made, and now leaves us both requiring extensive treatment for PTSD."

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

:lolol:
I was going to post about a place I stayed in Blackpool 1980s, but this makes it sound like a 4 star.
Great review BTW :)

LVGull

May 13, 2016
Queens Hotel, Bournemouth. The only time I left a booking to someone else. A dump, 1960’s rooms and we got no sleep due to noisy stag parties. Slagged off by hundreds of ex guests on tripadvisor, where the long term manager Daniel sarcastically fights back against every single one. The customer is most definitely not King at this dive.

My mate booked this a few years back, shocking hotel. Can’t be bothered to go into detail.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Once stayed in a hotel in Manchester for work and had to ask reception to remove a traffic cone from the bedroom.

I used to (but never again) stay in absolute dump in Luton because it was handy for the airport.

Got my electronic card, went into the room, stuck my suitcase down but was surprised to hear the current occupant having a shower.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here