Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] The worst hotel you've ever stayed in

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I've not travelled beyond conventional tourist or business places enough for some of the horrors here, so the Preston Park is actually the worst I've been in. By some margin!

I've ended up staying in nearly every mid-priced hotel in Brighton & Hove at this stage and they are generally a fairly poor bunch; some excellent staff who make up for it though (in some of them anyway)

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Can’t remember the name of it, on the beach in Pampatar, Margarita Island, during the ‘94 World Cup finals. Appalling hotel, never had such bad food poisoning, and the rooms were vile. That said, the Brazilians who were in holiday there helped make up for it by their amazing support of every single game that was shown on the huge screen.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
A hotel in Bayeaux. Room backed on to a stagnant canal and the whole tiny room was wallpapered in a hideous flowery wallpaper, including the ceiling and door. It was like being in a bad flowery trip.

Jul 7, 2003
Shame that Trip Advisor have removed the review for the old Crown Hotel in Lewes. The stories on there would make some of these third world places sound positively palatial.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I've not travelled beyond conventional tourist or business places enough for some of the horrors here, so the Preston Park is actually the worst I've been in. By some margin!

I've ended up staying in nearly every mid-priced hotel in Brighton & Hove at this stage and they are generally a fairly poor bunch; some excellent staff who make up for it though (in some of them anyway)

The Preston Park always comes at the bottom of tripadvisor ratings for our city (those with loads of posts). Damning reports about every facet, including thefts.

Soon to be bull dozed for blocks of apartments.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
The ‘sister’ hotel to the Adelphi in Coventry / Britannia I think. The rooms smelt of cannabis, restaurant only did Fosters or John Smiths, food disgusting, guests were mainly social services overspill. When asked, when checking out if I enjoyed my stay, I said ‘to be honest no’ she said to my amazement ‘ I know it’s shit here’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Pontins Prestatyn - slipped on a used condom outside chalet door and got a serious skin complaint to go with food poisoning

Crikey. If you slipped on a used condom I’m not surprised you got a skin complaint!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The Preston Park always comes at the bottom of tripadvisor ratings for our city (those with loads of posts). Damning reports about every facet, including thefts.

Soon to be bull dozed for blocks of apartments.

Managed for many years by a lady l once knew, Roberta Feld, (RIP), the late daughter of Alfred Feld, former Lord Mayor of Brighton . . . I just thought l'd mention that.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Dunno what it was called but it was in ipswich near the canal , there i was fast asleep and some drunken yobbo managed to get into my room attempted to get into my bed and dropped a massive grunt ,as if Ipswich didn't honk enough already , bloody dive .

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Hotel Anoop, New Delhi.

Various stains on the sheets, filthy pillows the colour of tobacco, and cockroaches in the bathroom.

Ah, the joys of backpacking on a budget ��

raba

Jun 9, 2013
Queens Hotel, Bournemouth. The only time I left a booking to someone else. A dump, 1960’s rooms and we got no sleep due to noisy stag parties. Slagged off by hundreds of ex guests on tripadvisor, where the long term manager Daniel sarcastically fights back against every single one. The customer is most definitely not King at this dive.

If this is the same hotel as I think it is, I stayed there eight odd years ago. The dining area is in the basement below the reception level, blood on the walls, curtain rail hanging off the wall & an absolute tip.

About five minutes up the hill from the BIC?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If this is the same hotel as I think it is, I stayed there eight odd years ago. The dining area is in the basement below the reception level, blood on the walls, curtain rail hanging off the wall & an absolute tip.

About five minutes up the hill from the BIC?

I think so. Was it large place full of hundreds of once bitten, soon to be shy punters?

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Travelodge London Central City Road.

Stayed with work a couple of years ago in the summer for my sins. The reprobates loitering in the reception when I turned up and the corridors that had that depressing, dated, dimly-lit hospital feel set the tone.

Got to my room and it was a total shitehole. The carpet was one of those Wetherspoons specials which looked and felt as if it had never been cleaned and featured some red stains by the door which looked suspiciously like blood, the fashionable grey lino in the bathroom was covered in limescale and mould and the turny bits on the tap were gunked up with something...

It was fairly hot at the time, maybe 23 degrees, but my room was absolutely roasting, to the point where my face was actually coming out in a kind of prickly rash and sweat was gushing out of every pore as I sat in the filthy-feeling humidity.

There was no air con, my room was facing the main road and was next to a busy pub, so I couldn't get any sleep due to the noise and heat combo. Had to go to reception to ask for a fan and got given what was effectively one of those novelty handheld fans. Settled into my squishy bed with my shitty little fan propped on a chair right in front of my face (there was one two-outlet plug socket in the whole room, which was on the other side of the room to the bed, naturally). Worst sleep I've ever had.

To top it all off, the shitty 60s throwback iron left browny black residue all over my new shirt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here