Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Raheem Sterling - Pundits v Fans

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I thought he was superb against Sweden, scared the hell out of them with his pace, opening up space that simply wouldn't have been there without him and defended from the front fantastically.

I do fancy him to win us a game before this tournament is finished.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
and the answer is .........A wasteful forward and a constant menace to defenders with a boundless appetite for hard work

Bit harsh GOM. If that was true he would be watching the WC instead of playing in it. No room for passengers in this team. Maybe watch the vid on post #26?
Difficult to argue with that analysis.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Er, yeah. That's why I'm not expecting many (if any) regular posters on here to say that he's 'shit' and that we'd be much better off if he doesn't play. Like I said, I totally accept he can be frustrating and he's certainly not above criticism - but in this team his positives more than outweigh his negatives.

Please point out any posts that have said he is 'he's 'shit' and that we'd be much better off if he doesn't play'.

There has been criticism of aspects of his play, as you say 'he can be frustrating and he's certainly not above criticism', but it appears that any criticism, which you say he is not above, is greeted with hysteria and we mustn't say that .......

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Bit harsh GOM. If that was true he would be watching the WC instead of playing in it. No room for passengers in this team. Maybe watch the vid on post #26?
Difficult to argue with that analysis.

So you are saying he has not been wasteful ?

when will people stop thinking a criticism of one little aspect of his game is a full on assault of his abilities and that what is really being said is that he is rubbish.IT IS NOT

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Edit

Attachments

• IMG-20180710-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20180710-WA0002.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 125

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That's the problem with extrapolation, I talked about one aspect of his game and it's then taken to apply to the whole of his game. Faulty assumption making.

I wasn't just talking about you, but many of those who disparage him, which was why I called it Ashley Barnes syndrome. There are many who just look for an excuse to criticise, even when there is none.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
That touch against Sweden where Sterling brought the ball down from a massive lofted pass going over his shoulder, was top class. Yes the decision making was poor once he had to make the decision to shoot or pass, but the ball control showed the technical level Sterling is on. I've noticed a few times when Sterling is running through the middle with the ball how dangerous he can look. No one in the England team is better at turning his man than Sterling. If he could sort out his final decision making, he'd be a world beater.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I’m pretty luke-warm on Sterling if I’m honest (which clearly means I’m thick, I know nothing about football and might be a racist)

It’s not that he adds nothing, he does have pace, he does force defences back, he buzzes around nicely enough, I would just prefer someone who carries more goal threat (and I suppose is a bit more reliable in possession) to help Kane out. Luckily, we have 2 players like that on the bench. I’m a real Vardy fan and I’d have him in if he’s fit.

Kindly let me know if this opinion is valid or not 

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I’m pretty luke-warm on Sterling if I’m honest (which clearly means I’m thick, I know nothing about football and might be a racist)

It’s not that he adds nothing, he does have pace, he does force defences back, he buzzes around nicely enough, I would just prefer someone who carries more goal threat (and I suppose is a bit more reliable in possession) to help Kane out. Luckily, we have 2 players like that on the bench. I’m a real Vardy fan and I’d have him in if he’s fit.

Kindly let me know if this opinion is valid or not 

It is perfectly valid*

*as long as Welbeck isn't the other player you're thinking of.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Odd if it weren't for the red top press and their vendetta on Sterling it's unlikely he'd be a focal point now.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I’d bloody love it if Sterling scored the winning goal in the WC final. I have quite a few mates who think he’s a waste of space and should be dropped....because he hasn’t scored for England since God knows when. Fortunately non of them are Albion fans :smile:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Wouldn't we all

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

LOL a bit of a daft comment now I realise but of all the players he is the one I’d like to see score it.....shall we settle for him scoring the winning goal tomorrow for the moment?

Don Parasol

Jan 29, 2017
I agree with several posters that he was very good against Sweden - e.g. excellent touch to bring down the high pass, on another occasion tightly marked when he had a shot well blocked on the RHS, and much more - he caused them problems all match.

He's definitely the scapegoat though - I thought the fan ratings on the BBC for Saturday's game were interesting:

Pickford 8.41
Maguire 8.33
Trippier 7.89
Henderson 7.17
Lingard 6.94
Stones 6.93
Walker 6.75
Kane 6.69
Young 6.52
Alli 6.35
Sterling 5.23

To me that's ridiculous - you can argue he wasn't great, but to see him rated so poorly across a large sample size means a lot of people just love having someone to blame I think.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Personally I thought he played far better versus Sweden.

Seemed more relaxed in his own game - in stretching defences, drawing concerned defenders, working his socks off and helping to cause uncertainty. Rather than being uptight about "having to score".

That's yet more great management by Southgate, sticking with Sterling, (naturally) ignoring the trolls and selected punters who feel they have to say something for the sake of it.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Wouldn't we all

I want Lingard to get the winner. An Albion legend who will never be forgotten for his world class performances for us. We all knew he would go on to slay the international football scene with his ability. How we were all right.

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
I want Lingard to get the winner. An Albion legend who will never be forgotten for his world class performances for us. We all knew he would go on to slay the international football scene with his ability. How we were all right.
LOL a bit of a daft comment now I realise but of all the players he is the one I’d like to see score it.....shall we settle for him scoring the winning goal tomorrow for the moment?
I'll take a Croatian own goal for the winner!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here