Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Raheem Sterling - Pundits v Fans

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Good article on the Beeb looking in depth at Sterling's performances and showing why pundits, players (and, presumably, managers) rate him but the fans don't.

I'm with the pundits. He does what Baldock did for us in the Championship promotion side and we'd be weaker without him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44771432

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I'm a fan, not a pundit, and I think he's fantastic. Played well and scared the hell out of them, he's one of our x-factor players.

I think its largely fans and pundits on one side, and people who want instant gratification, twitter trolls and elements of the reactionary media on the other. Its mistaken for fan opinion but its really just noise.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I'm a fan, not a pundit, and I think he's fantastic. Played well and scared the hell out of them, he's one of our x-factor players.

I think its largely fans and pundits on one side, and people who want instant gratification, twitter trolls and elements of the reactionary media on the other. Its mistaken for fan opinion but its really just noise.

It is to be hoped that he learns soon that after he has scared the opposition he needs to give the ball quickly to someone who will punish them.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Who else is there that is better in this position than Sterling?

I'd argue that he's the best of a mediocre bunch (i.e. Lallana, The Ox etc) and so deserves his place.

It's all about timing. If we had wide players of the calibre of John Barnes, Chrissy Waddle, Beckham then Sterling wouldn't get a look-in.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Same.

Sterling is an essential member of a TEAM that is doing very well.

He was excellent in the Sweden game. Yes, he missed one good chance (thanks to a decent bit of goalkeeping), but it was a chance that his brilliantly timed run, and pace, made possible in the first place. He's creating all kinds of space for Kane and Alli, because no defence dare squeeze up when Sterling can outrun them like that. He's also winning a ton of free kicks and corners - the very set pieces that are the cornerstone of England's run to the semi.

SOME fans don't rate him. Some fans are not very bright.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
You have to be blind if you can't see how Sterling was key to our success against Sweden.

He is not a natural finisher and not the most creative on the ball, But Sweden were scared shitless by him and I think he still has something left inside him to shut up his doubters.

Isnt it nice, that we are in the Semis and Arguably, Kane, Alli and Sterling all havent hit the heights we expect of them, hopefully all three can turn it on in the next two games.

Back to Sterling, he does run like a complete fruit though.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Let's be honest here, many fans will be driven by the agenda we've seen about Sterling in certain tabloids who seem to hate the successful young black man for reasons I haven't yet worked out.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yes he's been wasteful when he's got into some dangerous positions and not capitalised, but he creates absolute havoc for the opposition. The happiest people in Russia to see Rashford starting in his place tomorrow would be the Croatian defence.

Southgate has been absolutely right to stick with him. Lets face it, its pretty clear by now that the fella knows what he's doing.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Who else is there that is better in this position than Sterling?

I'd argue that he's the best of a mediocre bunch (i.e. Lallana, The Ox etc) and so deserves his place.

It's all about timing. If we had wide players of the calibre of John Barnes, Chrissy Waddle, Beckham then Sterling wouldn't get a look-in.

Sterling plays in a different position for his club, he is much more of a wide man. I wouldnt say the Ox could play there (I wish he was fit for the WC.) but I would rather see him in the Midfield role he has been for Liverpool, Lallana is another option, Rooney would have been a third. Then the obvious selection of Rashford, but can Rashford do what Sterling is currently and I guess where the argument lies, Rashford may have put away those chances, but would he have got there in the first place?

Southgate has done enough now for us not to question his judgement this tournement, so whoever he goes for it will be in his opinion the best choice, so thats good enough for me.

mickybha

Jan 2, 2010
IMG-20180710-WA0001.jpg

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Think he's done well this tournament. Frustratingly he has let the odd chance go begging, but his ability to stretch a defence cannot bettered by any other in the squad. I thought his hunger for the ball on saturday was immense, he was everywhere. No doubt his finishing is the weakest part of his game, but his strongest his scaring the opposition and creating space and opportunities for others.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
explain please. I am all in favour of his speed and the fact that he scares defences, however when it all ends up with him getting lost it seems to negate the initial excitement.

I'd watch the game again - look at the five-ten minutes before our first goal - constantly on the ball, laying it off, harrying them when they win it off us, winning corners. He makes so much space for others, pulling defenders all over the place, an integral part of our attack.

You seem to be focusing on one moment when he could perhaps have squared it for Kane and didn't. His work-rate is fantastic.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Good article on the Beeb looking in depth at Sterling's performances and showing why pundits, players (and, presumably, managers) rate him but the fans don't.

I'm with the pundits. He does what Baldock did for us in the Championship promotion side and we'd be weaker without him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44771432

It's not a straight-forward divide. Both Shearer and Jenas made negative comments about him before the Sweden match.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The reason some players, when it isn't going so well, seem to get away with it is that they shy away from making themselves available for the pass.

Sterling, EVERY TIME, is wanting the ball, making an option, running in behind.

That shows great mental strength. He deserves a goal for his efforts this tournament. I hope he gets it. Maybe the winner in the final.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It's not a straight-forward divide. Both Shearer and Jenas made negative comments about him before the Sweden match.

I didn't see the pre-match.

Did they say "He's shit. Get him on the next plane home. I hope he breaks both legs, the little ****", or something about 'decision making' or 'end product'?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Same.

Sterling is an essential member of a TEAM that is doing very well.

He was excellent in the Sweden game. Yes, he missed one good chance (thanks to a decent bit of goalkeeping), but it was a chance that his brilliantly timed run, and pace, made possible in the first place. He's creating all kinds of space for Kane and Alli, because no defence dare squeeze up when Sterling can outrun them like that. He's also winning a ton of free kicks and corners - the very set pieces that are the cornerstone of England's run to the semi.

SOME fans don't rate him. Some fans are not very bright.

Spot on.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
explain please. I am all in favour of his speed and the fact that he scares defences, however when it all ends up with him getting lost it seems to negate the initial excitement.

Kalimantan has done an excellent job of already explaining it. It's a team game especially in this team where the sum of the parts are greater than the whole. No superstars, but a great team working together. Of course, there will be mistakes, but they're young and human.
He'll do for Southgate, and therefore for me.

It's Ashley Barnes syndrome, isn't it?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here