Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Raheem Sterling - Pundits v Fans

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Odd if it weren't for the red top press and their vendetta on Sterling it's unlikely he'd be a focal point now.

You clearly manage to avoid cretinous posts on Facebook then. Got any tips on how to achieve this? :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'll take a Croatian own goal for the winner!

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

Esp by that nubbin with shite hair.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Esp by that nubbin with shite hair.

Vida.

I'm surprised he is playing tbh. Really surprised that FIFA didn't issue a ban, for his little 'Glory to Ukraine' video, he posted, to celebrate vanquishing Russia.

Though, the BBC are reporting today, that FIFA are now investigating a second similar video...

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You clearly manage to avoid cretinous posts on Facebook then. Got any tips on how to achieve this? :lol:
You know the answer to that.

But I bet the knuckle draggers aren't able to form an opinion on their own.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I want Lingard to get the winner. An Albion legend who will never be forgotten for his world class performances for us. We all knew he would go on to slay the international football scene with his ability. How we were all right.

In situations like that it helps if you keep an online diary for posterity. Apologies that most of this is a drivel filled rant about taking a 7 year old to football and just move to the question marked "Is Jesse Lingard Any Good?"

https://brightononlyathome.wordpress.com/2014/03/09/reading-at-home-questions/

*you're right, I wouldn't have posted this if I'd said he was shit.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Same.

Sterling is an essential member of a TEAM that is doing very well.

He was excellent in the Sweden game. Yes, he missed one good chance (thanks to a decent bit of goalkeeping), but it was a chance that his brilliantly timed run, and pace, made possible in the first place. He's creating all kinds of space for Kane and Alli, because no defence dare squeeze up when Sterling can outrun them like that. He's also winning a ton of free kicks and corners - the very set pieces that are the cornerstone of England's run to the semi.

SOME fans don't rate him. Some fans are not very bright.

This. The Croatia manager said they could cope with Kane as they did with Messi. Really? Perhaps. But maybe what he isn't factoring in
is the pace of Alli, Sterling etc who will run the rest of the team ragged while they sit on Kane.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
He was involved in both goals on Saturday. He blocked off the defender to help Maguire's route to goal, and intelligently dropped back from an offside position when Lingard dinked the cross in for Ali.

He also creates Kane more space at times. And lets not forget his pace scares the shite out of defenders.

A key member of the team.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Vida.

I'm surprised he is playing tbh. Really surprised that FIFA didn't issue a ban, for his little 'Glory to Ukraine' video, he posted, to celebrate vanquishing Russia.

Though, the BBC are reporting today, that FIFA are now investigating a second similar video...

Just done it again apparently - 'Belgrade burn' this time.

Silly boy.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Please point out any posts that have said he is 'he's 'shit' and that we'd be much better off if he doesn't play'.

There has been criticism of aspects of his play, as you say 'he can be frustrating and he's certainly not above criticism', but it appears that any criticism, which you say he is not above, is greeted with hysteria and we mustn't say that .......
Arggggh! Jeez you're hard work. There haven't been any "he's shit' comments on here because, as I said before, most people on here (as evidenced by most of the posts in this thread) have a basic knowledge of football. The 'shit' comments have come, by and large, from people who don't really follow football, but have been swept up by the World Cup fever. They're the ones who mark him as '0' on the on-line polls and say loudly in the pub "I don't understand why Southgate play's Sterling, he's shit".

And I don't think anyone is greeting the criticism with hysteria. I've criticised him myself on this very thread. It's not a binary situation.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Four free kicks he earnt us,around their box, in the first 12 minutes against Colombia.

Oh Raheem Sterling, you are the love of my life,
Oh, Raheem Sterling, I’d let you shag my wife,
Oh Raheem Sterling, I want gun tattoos too

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Arggggh! Jeez you're hard work. There haven't been any "he's shit' comments on here because, as I said before, most people on here (as evidenced by most of the posts in this thread) have a basic knowledge of football. The 'shit' comments have come, by and large, from people who don't really follow football, but have been swept up by the World Cup fever. They're the ones who mark him as '0' on the on-line polls and say loudly in the pub "I don't understand why Southgate play's Sterling, he's shit".

And I don't think anyone is greeting the criticism with hysteria. I've criticised him myself on this very thread.

This is it in a nutshell. Most full time football fans appreciate what he does, it’s mainly WC bandwagon jumpers who see the stats and the fact that he hasn’t scored in the WC who think he’s not good enough. Forwards should score goals, end of. I think the Baldock comparison is excellent. Although, in fairness, Baldock did score some stunners for us, maybe Raheem will pull one of those off...tomorrow.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
So you are saying he has not been wasteful ?

when will people stop thinking a criticism of one little aspect of his game is a full on assault of his abilities and that what is really being said is that he is rubbish.IT IS NOT

No. I don't think he is, or has been, wasteful. I think it is a poor choice of word that suggests an element of 'don't care', which is not the case at all.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He's a bit like many quick tricky wingers/forwards, brilliant and at the same time frustrating. I don't think it is a binary debate of thinking he is either brilliant or rubbish, he should undoubtedly be getting more goals and key assists than he does for the positions he gets into, but that doesn't undermine all the great work he does for the team, the chances his threat and movement creates, the set pieces he wins etc.

Having a great tournament, but also hoping we'll see the absolute best of him over the next 2 games.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Not at all.

On this issue though - anyone who thinks Sterling is NOT worth his place in the side - those that see a couple of missed chances, but don't understand the value of the movement off the ball, or the covering back, etc - then yes, in a football (only) sense - they're not very bright.

And the stupidity of that statement is that it is the assumption that Sterling is the only player that can make runs or harry the defence. Many would suggest Rashford could do the job and I suspect the Croatian defence would be equally wary of him. Sterling hasn't scored for nearly 3 years.

As for the stats, I'd be a bit wary of them. It claims Trippier has lost possession on 70 occasions in 5 games! I suspect that that includes when he crosses the ball and a defender gets to it first. Hardly losing possession. In those circumstances you need to look at whether he is delivering the ball into the danger are or if it's not getting past the first defender.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
And the stupidity of that statement is that it is the assumption that Sterling is the only player that can make runs or harry the defence. Many would suggest Rashford could do the job and I suspect the Croatian defence would be equally wary of him.

Rashford could do a job - of course he could. Not the same job though. Sterling's best work is when England have the ball. It isn't about 'harrying the defence' (Sterling isn't even asked to do that - his brief out of possession is to tuck back behind the ball). If you wanted your forward harrying the defence you wouldn't pick him or Rashford, you'd pick Vardy, who is excellent at that.

Sterling hasn't scored for nearly 3 years.

If he continues to contribute to the TEAM as well as he did on Sunday, I don't care if he scores in the next three years either. Except for his own sake - to remove some of the ridiculous pressure from the poisonous elements in the media, and some supposed England fans, who can't wait to stick the knife in.

As for the stats, I'd be a bit wary of them. It claims Trippier has lost possession on 70 occasions in 5 games! I suspect that that includes when he crosses the ball and a defender gets to it first. Hardly losing possession. In those circumstances you need to look at whether he is delivering the ball into the danger are or if it's not getting past the first defender.

Quite agree. Did I mention stats, at all, then?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here