Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast
    Chrissy Hughton Fanboy Guinness Boy's Avatar

Raheem Sterling - Pundits v Fans

17 Not allowed!
    Good article on the Beeb looking in depth at Sterling's performances and showing why pundits, players (and, presumably, managers) rate him but the fans don't.

I'm with the pundits. He does what Baldock did for us in the Championship promotion side and we'd be weaker without him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44771432
    Brighton But Only At Home

It's a blog. About home games. And some other stuff.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

4 Not allowed!
      Spot on. There's always an ignorant fans' whipping boy. No different with the national team

6 Not allowed!
      I'm a fan, not a pundit, and I think he's fantastic. Played well and scared the hell out of them, he's one of our x-factor players.

I think its largely fans and pundits on one side, and people who want instant gratification, twitter trolls and elements of the reactionary media on the other. Its mistaken for fan opinion but its really just noise.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Kalimantan Gull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I'm a fan, not a pundit, and I think he's fantastic. Played well and scared the hell out of them, he's one of our x-factor players.

I think its largely fans and pundits on one side, and people who want instant gratification, twitter trolls and elements of the reactionary media on the other. Its mistaken for fan opinion but its really just noise.
      It is to be hoped that he learns soon that after he has scared the opposition he needs to give the ball quickly to someone who will punish them.
      face piles of trials, with smiles
      it riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.

0 Not allowed!
      Who else is there that is better in this position than Sterling?

I'd argue that he's the best of a mediocre bunch (i.e. Lallana, The Ox etc) and so deserves his place.

It's all about timing. If we had wide players of the calibre of John Barnes, Chrissy Waddle, Beckham then Sterling wouldn't get a look-in.
      "Intercluderent aut mori"

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by GOM View Post
      It is to be hoped that he learns soon that after he has scared the opposition he needs to give the ball quickly to someone who will punish them.
      Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
      NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!
      When people are rude to you, they reveal who they are, not who you are.
      The voice of reason. hans kraay fan club's Avatar

16 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Kalimantan Gull View Post

Same.

Sterling is an essential member of a TEAM that is doing very well.

He was excellent in the Sweden game. Yes, he missed one good chance (thanks to a decent bit of goalkeeping), but it was a chance that his brilliantly timed run, and pace, made possible in the first place. He's creating all kinds of space for Kane and Alli, because no defence dare squeeze up when Sterling can outrun them like that. He's also winning a ton of free kicks and corners - the very set pieces that are the cornerstone of England's run to the semi.

SOME fans don't rate him. Some fans are not very bright.
      The above post is simply my opinion. I am not bullying you, should it differ from your own.
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      You have to be blind if you can't see how Sterling was key to our success against Sweden.

He is not a natural finisher and not the most creative on the ball, But Sweden were scared shitless by him and I think he still has something left inside him to shut up his doubters.

Isnt it nice, that we are in the Semis and Arguably, Kane, Alli and Sterling all havent hit the heights we expect of them, hopefully all three can turn it on in the next two games.

Back to Sterling, he does run like a complete fruit though.
      Members

10 Not allowed!
      Let's be honest here, many fans will be driven by the agenda we've seen about Sterling in certain tabloids who seem to hate the successful young black man for reasons I haven't yet worked out.

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Bolt View Post
      explain please. I am all in favour of his speed and the fact that he scares defences, however when it all ends up with him getting lost it seems to negate the initial excitement.
      face piles of trials, with smiles
      it riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.