Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Raheem Sterling - Pundits v Fans

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
And the stupidity of that statement is that it is the assumption that Sterling is the only player that can make runs or harry the defence. Many would suggest Rashford could do the job and I suspect the Croatian defence would be equally wary of him. Sterling hasn't scored for nearly 3 years.

As for the stats, I'd be a bit wary of them. It claims Trippier has lost possession on 70 occasions in 5 games! I suspect that that includes when he crosses the ball and a defender gets to it first. Hardly losing possession. In those circumstances you need to look at whether he is delivering the ball into the danger are or if it's not getting past the first defender.

Another Sterling fan here. Good though Rashford can be, I don't think he is half the player that Sterling is - quicker and more intelligent.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Another Sterling fan here. Good though Rashford can be, I don't think he is half the player that Sterling is - quicker and more intelligent.

Much better football brain imo, or maybe it’s just that he has the experience. Rashford often tries to do too much whereas Sterling is very unselfish, which has really benefited us so far.

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
I find watching him enormously frustrating. On the plus side, his mobility does create space for others, but he DOES give the ball away far too often, and his long standing goal drought has to count against anyone playing in his position because it puts extra pressure on others to score.

Perhaps a glorious winning goal from him is imminent, but equally, I can see him blazing a last minute chance over the bar from a yard out, like he did at Wigan in the cup last season.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I'm definitely more of a supporter of Sterling than a hating. Yes his end product can be frustrating at times but he brings something no one else in our team can, the ability to beat players.

Without him we are a worse team.

Similar to Knockaert in many respects in that he can frsutrate at times but you'd still pick him for what he offers, oh and he is English, and a larger more sticky out bottom.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I'm in the fans corner. Works hard, but all a bit Solly. Wrong decision after wrong decision tonight and no end product.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm in the fans corner. Works hard, but all a bit Solly. Wrong decision after wrong decision tonight and no end product.
When Kane should have squared it for Sterling to make it 2-0, was it Sterling's fault?

He caused Croatia a lot of problems and helped keep us on top in the first half.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Shit house.

He was outstanding tonight. Worked hard and caused them so many problems with his pace.

Probably our best player when he was on the pitch and couldn’t believe it when he was taken off.

All those saying Rashford should start and hammering Sterling - even though I rate him, what did he do when he came on?

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Our biggest threat tonight, I thought. We were a lot poorer when he went off. Rashford certainly didn't do anything to justify claims that he should have started over Sterling - he was laboured and his anticipation was really poor, even though he was meant to be fresh.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Like Speedy Gonzales, puts the fear of god into defenders, but the prick still runs like girl. :shrug:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He was outstanding tonight. Worked hard and caused them so many problems with his pace.

Probably our best player when he was on the pitch and couldn’t believe it when he was taken off.

All those saying Rashford should start and hammering Sterling - even though I rate him, what did he do when he came on?

Thought we looked more of a threat than we had done in the second half, Sterling did okay in the first half, poor in the second.

But why was Kane so deep?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here