Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 119
  1. #71
    Members Weststander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Withdean area
    Posts
    16,218


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Megazone View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I want Lingard to get the winner. An Albion legend who will never be forgotten for his world class performances for us. We all knew he would go on to slay the international football scene with his ability. How we were all right.
    Maguire or Henderson smashing in a 25 yarder would do for me.

    Or any WC winning goal.

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #72
      Members
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Posts
      16,187


      3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by GOM View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Please point out any posts that have said he is 'he's 'shit' and that we'd be much better off if he doesn't play'.

      There has been criticism of aspects of his play, as you say 'he can be frustrating and he's certainly not above criticism', but it appears that any criticism, which you say he is not above, is greeted with hysteria and we mustn't say that .......
      Arggggh! Jeez you're hard work. There haven't been any "he's shit' comments on here because, as I said before, most people on here (as evidenced by most of the posts in this thread) have a basic knowledge of football. The 'shit' comments have come, by and large, from people who don't really follow football, but have been swept up by the World Cup fever. They're the ones who mark him as '0' on the on-line polls and say loudly in the pub "I don't understand why Southgate play's Sterling, he's shit".

      And I don't think anyone is greeting the criticism with hysteria. I've criticised him myself on this very thread. It's not a binary situation.

    • #73
      Glory hunting since 1969 lawros left foot's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2011
      Location
      Worthing
      Posts
      7,230


      3 Not allowed!
      Four free kicks he earnt us,around their box, in the first 12 minutes against Colombia.


      Oh Raheem Sterling, you are the love of my life,
      Oh, Raheem Sterling, I’d let you shag my wife,
      Oh Raheem Sterling, I want gun tattoos too
    • #74
      On the BHA rollercoaster Icy Gull's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Posts
      45,042


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Brovion View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Arggggh! Jeez you're hard work. There haven't been any "he's shit' comments on here because, as I said before, most people on here (as evidenced by most of the posts in this thread) have a basic knowledge of football. The 'shit' comments have come, by and large, from people who don't really follow football, but have been swept up by the World Cup fever. They're the ones who mark him as '0' on the on-line polls and say loudly in the pub "I don't understand why Southgate play's Sterling, he's shit".

      And I don't think anyone is greeting the criticism with hysteria. I've criticised him myself on this very thread.
      This is it in a nutshell. Most full time football fans appreciate what he does, it’s mainly WC bandwagon jumpers who see the stats and the fact that he hasn’t scored in the WC who think he’s not good enough. Forwards should score goals, end of. I think the Baldock comparison is excellent. Although, in fairness, Baldock did score some stunners for us, maybe Raheem will pull one of those off...tomorrow.
      Show me a good loser and I will show you a loser - Toto Wolff
    • #75
      Members Bob'n'weave's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2016
      Location
      Nr Lewes
      Posts
      1,494


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by GOM View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      So you are saying he has not been wasteful ?

      when will people stop thinking a criticism of one little aspect of his game is a full on assault of his abilities and that what is really being said is that he is rubbish.IT IS NOT
      No. I don't think he is, or has been, wasteful. I think it is a poor choice of word that suggests an element of 'don't care', which is not the case at all.
      Have you seen the Muppet Show........
    • #76
      Members
      Join Date
      Mar 2010
      Location
      Hove
      Posts
      17,349


      0 Not allowed!
      He's a bit like many quick tricky wingers/forwards, brilliant and at the same time frustrating. I don't think it is a binary debate of thinking he is either brilliant or rubbish, he should undoubtedly be getting more goals and key assists than he does for the positions he gets into, but that doesn't undermine all the great work he does for the team, the chances his threat and movement creates, the set pieces he wins etc.

      Having a great tournament, but also hoping we'll see the absolute best of him over the next 2 games.
    • #77
      Drew drew's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2006
      Location
      Burgess Hill
      Posts
      14,738


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by hans kraay fan club View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Not at all.

      On this issue though - anyone who thinks Sterling is NOT worth his place in the side - those that see a couple of missed chances, but don't understand the value of the movement off the ball, or the covering back, etc - then yes, in a football (only) sense - they're not very bright.
      And the stupidity of that statement is that it is the assumption that Sterling is the only player that can make runs or harry the defence. Many would suggest Rashford could do the job and I suspect the Croatian defence would be equally wary of him. Sterling hasn't scored for nearly 3 years.

      As for the stats, I'd be a bit wary of them. It claims Trippier has lost possession on 70 occasions in 5 games! I suspect that that includes when he crosses the ball and a defender gets to it first. Hardly losing possession. In those circumstances you need to look at whether he is delivering the ball into the danger are or if it's not getting past the first defender.
    • #78
      Members Langley's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2008
      Location
      Waltham Chase, Hants
      Posts
      739


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Geestar View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      CMS could score 1 in 45
      8
      Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk
      Please tell us what this stupid comment has got to do with Stirling ?
    • #79
      Members
      Join Date
      Nov 2015
      Location
      Sittingbourne, Kent
      Posts
      2,471


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by GOM View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      It is to be hoped that he learns soon that after he has scared the opposition he needs to give the ball quickly to someone who can shoot (while wearing an England shirt).
      Corrected your unfortunate error
    • #80
      The voice of reason. hans kraay fan club's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2005
      Location
      Chandlers Ford
      Posts
      51,343


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      And the stupidity of that statement is that it is the assumption that Sterling is the only player that can make runs or harry the defence. Many would suggest Rashford could do the job and I suspect the Croatian defence would be equally wary of him.
      Rashford could do a job - of course he could. Not the same job though. Sterling's best work is when England have the ball. It isn't about 'harrying the defence' (Sterling isn't even asked to do that - his brief out of possession is to tuck back behind the ball). If you wanted your forward harrying the defence you wouldn't pick him or Rashford, you'd pick Vardy, who is excellent at that.

      Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Sterling hasn't scored for nearly 3 years.
      If he continues to contribute to the TEAM as well as he did on Sunday, I don't care if he scores in the next three years either. Except for his own sake - to remove some of the ridiculous pressure from the poisonous elements in the media, and some supposed England fans, who can't wait to stick the knife in.

      Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      As for the stats, I'd be a bit wary of them. It claims Trippier has lost possession on 70 occasions in 5 games! I suspect that that includes when he crosses the ball and a defender gets to it first. Hardly losing possession. In those circumstances you need to look at whether he is delivering the ball into the danger are or if it's not getting past the first defender.
      Quite agree. Did I mention stats, at all, then?
      The above post is simply my opinion. I am not bullying you, should it differ from your own.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •