Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Trump BLIMP over Westminster

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Actually, I have had a substantial amount of education in Islam because I used to work for an Islamic company introducing Sharia-compliant insurance to the UK. Therefore I needed to understand the legal regulation of the insurance industry AND the cultural and religious teaching of Islam in respect of what is halal and haram and why.

I think you will find that the are a number of Catholics and other Christians, Agnostics, Atheists, Druids and probably Jedi who have an equally perverse opinion on sex with children, so removing Islam and forgetting everything about the Prophet(s) will not remove hebephilia or paedophilia from society.

As previously stated, I do not follow any religion, I do however know a lot of people who do, peacefully and happily finding comfort from the words in a book that (when taken in both a historical and cultural context rather than literally) give them faith in and of a higher power. The Bible is absolutely chock full of verses, passages and stories that, in today's context, taken in isolation or deliberately mis-quoted, are pretty disgusting. The same is true of the Qu'ran and the Torah. This forms one of the principle reasons that I personally have no faith. All three tomes were written, copied, translated and passed down by people who had a vested interest in what they said - to me that makes their content rather suspect.

However, despite my personal beliefs I am educated and informed enough to understand the value of each religion in giving people personal comfort and meaning. Dismissing the value of the whole thing because of the actions of a minority is just narrow-minded bigotry. No religion is better or worse that any other. Each is followed, quoted and misconstrued by a minority of people with a f*cked up agenda, always have been and always will. Some people are wrong. Religion isn't the reason they are wrong, it's either a mutually exclusive aspect of their personality or an excuse to justify their wrong-ness.

If you start judging people on their actions rather than their labels you might find that some people who previously hated are actually alright and that some people you found affinity with are CJTCs.
Blimey where did that come from!

Superb stuff [MENTION=23289]father_and_son[/MENTION]

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Read the Bible too, plenty of very unsavoury material in there that is not very palatable when read with modern eyes. All religion is the problem for me, no matter what invisible shamen you dance to

i think it's widely considered a distinct possibility that the 2 books are one and the same just re written / translated into 2 moderately varying pieces of literature.....one thing is for sure , this subject we are now discussing is the most divisive subject of the current day , a lot of people have problems with it , a lot of people see no problem with it , some are ambivalent.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
ridicule of a religious / mythical figure against ridicule of a foreign head of state ........not an awful lot in it in stark reality is there ???

Ummmm yes.

There's really QUITE a lot of difference between mocking a whole religion and one idiot.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
What is remarkable is that, yet again, the naive right wing (lots of Trump supporter/Leave voter crossover) think Trump is somehow going go give us a good deal on any future trade. The UK is on a sticky wicket on trade because the US want to infiltrate our NHS with pharmaceuticals and the US food giants want access to our market and flood us with cheap, sub-standard foodstuffs that have been banned under EU law because they are not fit for human consumption and we may not have a choice.
**** Trump and **** the US for voting in such a pig ignorant mentalist and **** right wing morons who want to pussyfoot and placate the fool.

Have you read what you have written and really believe it? Flooded with cheap sub-standard food stuffs - off course unless you are talking about McDonald!

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Have you read what you have written and really believe it? Flooded with cheap sub-standard food stuffs - off course unless you are talking about McDonald!

I don’t think you can call the foodstuff coming from the US as sub-standard - what can legitimately be said though is that their standard of animal welfare is sub European standard, many of their animals are treated with chemical hormones and much of their agricultural product is genetically modified.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

You have come across a gullible wally who believes the US is desperately seeking to infiltrate a market they are not in but which they already have a significant market share in worth billions and a wally against the scientific community (even the EU scientific community) who say GM food is no harm and no worse than regular food..
Best ignore these gullible fools who ignore facts and rely on pseudo science.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
You have come across a gullible wally who believes the US is desperately seeking to infiltrate a market they are not in but which they already have a significant market share in worth billions and a wally against the scientific community (even the EU scientific community) who say GM food is no harm and no worse than regular food..
Best ignore these gullible fools who ignore facts and rely on pseudo science.

However...

GM foods are owned by big pharma/corporates which control their use. This means that growing food is no longer a self-sustaining industry. You cannot plant corn, reap, eat 90% and replant 10%. You have to pay the "copyright" at each stage, you have to use their pesticide, fertilizer, etc.
It takes away the control of the process from the grower and moves it to a supplier.

The suppliers are not doing all this research for altruistic reasons. They WANT to control the argriculture systems so that they can profit from the most essential of systems.

Whatever the long term impacts of tampering with ecosystems the way they do, there are very real impacts of tying, at times whole nations, to a particular "brand" of a food stuff.
It may be true that the actual corn/wheat/rice/rapeseed are sfe and undifferentiable from the "natural" version, but all scientists will tell you that tampering with ecosystems have always had some serious, unforeseen consequences that are impossible to reverse.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here