Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Trump BLIMP over Westminster

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
However...

GM foods are owned by big pharma/corporates which control their use. This means that growing food is no longer a self-sustaining industry. You cannot plant corn, reap, eat 90% and replant 10%. You have to pay the "copyright" at each stage, you have to use their pesticide, fertilizer, etc.
It takes away the control of the process from the grower and moves it to a supplier.

The suppliers are not doing all this research for altruistic reasons. They WANT to control the argriculture systems so that they can profit from the most essential of systems.

Whatever the long term impacts of tampering with ecosystems the way they do, there are very real impacts of tying, at times whole nations, to a particular "brand" of a food stuff.
It may be true that the actual corn/wheat/rice/rapeseed are sfe and undifferentiable from the "natural" version, but all scientists will tell you that tampering with ecosystems have always had some serious, unforeseen consequences that are impossible to reverse.

Precisely. Industry is desperate to pretend that the debate over GMO is just about human health (inadvertently helped by large numbers of naive consumers who have bought into those fears). This allows them to (correctly in my view) 'debunk' the fears about health and seemingly win the argument. When in reality the real concern is about whether or not we think it is Ok for massive global corporations to 'own' the primary means of production in our foodchain.It's part of a much bigger debate about of ownership and control of technology/IP etc which will dominate economic and political debate in future.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
The Guardian this morning made what I thought was a good point regarding President Trumps visit today, where they were suggesting we should seoperate Donald Trump from the politics, with that in mind the Baby Trump ballon and demonstrations is in a free society is only right to be allowed but are these aimed at the person or the politics or are the two the same?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Precisely. Industry is desperate to pretend that the debate over GMO is just about human health (inadvertently helped by large numbers of naive consumers who have bought into those fears). This allows them to (correctly in my view) 'debunk' the fears about health and seemingly win the argument. When in reality the real concern is about whether or not we think it is Ok for massive global corporations to 'own' the primary means of production in our foodchain.It's part of a much bigger debate about of ownership and control of technology/IP etc which will dominate economic and political debate in future.

which brings us to the bees.....without whom , we are all plooked.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
which brings us to the bees.....without whom , we are all plooked.

Not really. Most GM crops are designed to be sterile and therefore will not need to be pollenated because that is a way of duplicating the plant and they don't want that. And if all the bees die then the only choice will be GM. Hmmm... if I were a conspiracy theorist I would be linking the death of bees to big corp's GM ambitions.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Not really. Most GM crops are designed to be sterile and therefore will not need to be pollenated because that is a way of duplicating the plant and they don't want that. And if all the bees die then the only choice will be GM. Hmmm... if I were a conspiracy theorist I would be linking the death of bees to big corp's GM ambitions.

you are obviously well read on a number of subjects ....monsanto & pfizer produce a lot of pesticides which are reported to be decimating the bee population , they also are heavily involved in the gm seed market , i have already got an opinion but i wouldn't necessarily say i was a conspiracy theorist....more an out and out pessimist. I'm afraid the greed of big corporates will have a massive part in shaping the future of the planet.......and probably it's demise. weapons , drugs , seeds, fertiliser, pesticides , all massive industries..........what kind of illnesses/ allergies do you think will pop up when our food is grown in climate controlled towers and our meat grown from stem cells it really does conjure up a pretty disgusting image of the future as far as i can see........not an issue in our lifetime probably though.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Trump isn't a snowflake, he will love it....
That's exactly what he is. He stomps around being rude to leaders of his country's allies whenever he doesn't get his way. He reacts to any piece of news by calling it "fake news" when he doesn't like it. What planet have you been living on over the past few years?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That's exactly what he is. He stomps around being rude to leaders of his country's allies whenever he doesn't get his way. He reacts to any piece of news by calling it "fake news" when he doesn't like it. What planet have you been living on over the past few years?

:jester:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Crowds starting to gather outside Blenheim Palace gates, was Churchill the reason he chose it?

Capture.JPG

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

And he has got the non-contributing freeloaders in NATO like Germany to actually start spending what they have promised to for the last 10 years.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
No sign of the blimp yet, this is bigger than Orville & Wilbur :rave:

Health and Safety have stopped them giving Trump a blow job.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
And he has got the non-contributing freeloaders in NATO like Germany to actually start spending what they have promised to for the last 10 years.

He's all about the short term - appeasing his core-support at home for short sighted short term gain at the expense of the long term. It'll be someone else's job (Republican or Democrat) to clean up the mess he's made all over the world. Whether it's scaling back tariffs caused by trade wars, repairing the damage to the relationship with long term allies like Germany, Canada and Mexico, or several decades of regaining the trust of the Arab world.

A destructive simpleton who acts like a stroppy toddler whenever someone says anything he doesn't like. He's just an absolute moron and it is beyond staggering that the Presidential campaign came down to a choice between this clueless idiot and a bland, tainted career-politician. Is that really the best a nation of 350m people can do?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here